Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliya_nijjar

Staining a fence charcoal color

Aliya Nijjar
4 years ago

We are looking at getting a pressure treated fence in a horizontal pattern and then staining or painting it a charcoal colour. I have heard that paint can chip off and stain is better. Is there a product that you recommend? Is there a specific color that you recommend. I want something dark grey but not quite black without any brown undertones. The fence will be quite large so I want to get this right! Pic below for inspiration.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"I have heard that paint can chip off and stain is better." I hear people say that frequently, but in my experience, a good acrylic paint last much longer than stain. Stain fades relatively quickly. I think people perceive it to last longer because fading is a more gradual process than chipping, so it goes unnoticed until long overdue. But a well prepared surface is not all that prone to chipping or flaking. Staining is more "iffy," too in the end result. You're not really sure what you'll get until you get it. Paint covers a host of imperfections.

Aliya Nijjar thanked Yardvaark
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    4 years ago

It's always been my understanding that you must let pressure treated lumber weather for several years before you can paint/stain.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

It does not take several years to dry but several weeks to a couple of months. Or you can ask for kiln dried treated lumber which will cut down the wait time significantly.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    4 years ago

Start with a really knowledgeable paint store. I can't say enough good things about our local Benjamin Moore. All the wood in my backyard is stained with BM Arborcoat solid color stain, very similar to your inspiration pic. Couple things I learned along the way:

• the color will look VERY different on a horizontal surface vs a vertical one. We did an awesome charcoal color for a client's shed trim. I put the extra on my outdoor dining table and it was BLUE
    • a good quality paint store can take the stain, add some additional pigment, and tweak the color. That final color gets saved to your file so they can reproduce it. That's what we had to do.
    • I have resigned myself to the fact that by wanting a dark stain, I will have to do a fresh coat once or twice each year. You don't realize how much light-colored funk is floating in the air until you have a dark gray/almost black stain on everything
    • I had assumed all stain would penetrate the wood. I was wrong. Moisture migrated through the wood where it overhangs my water feature basin and popped the solid color stain off in big chunks. You may still need to prime the wood to prevent that, even if using a stain. Your paint shop can advise you.
    • to Yard's point about paint vs stain, I have no idea if the color in stain fades faster than paint. Probably? But the prep process is super simple for a new coat of stain. Hose everything off, scrub with a little tsp if needed. rinse, let dry, slap on a new coat. We'll see if I feel the same way after I have 300 feet of fence to do every year (we're working off the same inspiration pic you are for the new fence).
    • to Yard's other point, a transparent stain will vary depending on the wood, but I don't think that's an issue with a solid color stain. We have a mix of p/t pine, untreated pine, and western red cedar and you can't tell which is which.

A modern backyard in Culpeper VA · More Info

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    3 years ago

treated wont take stain or paint well. use tryrd 4x4 but use untreated cedar on fencing and 2x4 material. stain will take better and last longer

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

Treated takes paint fine but it must dry out first ... which could be some weeks or months depending on its thickness.

• stellabb
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone know the colour of this fence?

• PRO
    Seabury Properties LLC
    2 years ago

We have beautiful decks in Western NC. They are treated lumber. They have Cabot (the best) semi transparent stain. The decks had to be left raw for 6 month prior to staining (per Cabot). We touch up once a year - they get lots of rain and sunshine. Decks are more than 11 years old and look fantastic.

• Julie Wade
    last year

Hose everything off, scrub with a little tsp if needed. Could you spell out what "tsp" is? Is it tsp of something?

• indianagardengirl
    last year

Tri Sodium Phosphate

• Julie Wade
    last year

Thanks

• Cecilia Ritter
    last year

Is any going to answer the question on the color and product used on the fence?

• Julie Wade
    last year

not yet!, unfortunately

• Cecilia Ritter
    last year

Not nice that they don’t respond

• Heath Goodrich
    last year

Does anyone know the color of this fence?

• sharanann
    11 months ago

Its a stock picture from another country.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 months ago

" Not nice that they don’t respond "

Folks are not going to respond if they don't know!! Sheesh!!