Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Azaleas were fantastic on yesterday's hike

dbarron
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I believe this is azalea canadensis, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, the azaleas, the ninebark, and well everything was beautiful yesterday here in Arkansas. Yes, folks, I'm close enough to Oklahoma to feel I can post there (besides the Ozark forum is mostly moribund). Hi Dawn, I saw a copperhead too.

Comments (11)

• hazelinok
    4 years ago

Beautiful pictures!

dbarron thanked hazelinok
  • Embothrium
    4 years ago

Azaleas have been Rhododendron botanically for some time, so whichever species the one you saw is otherwise it will never be "Azalea canadensis".

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=128386

• dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

While you are correct (and I know it), azalea was the botanical name i learned in college, and will probably always be in my brain. Rhodo then, and the actual species is pinophyllum if anyone cares, since it seems Embrothrium was truly offended by 'azalea'.

The point wasn't that I was giving a botanical lecture...I was sharing beauty, and while I prefer to not share misinformation, I didn't have time to be sure of my id yesterday before going out again.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Exactly Dawn, I really really figured those azaleas were over and gone here, so was shocked to see them in their prime. Here was the path blocker.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Oh, just ignore embothrium :-)) I've known him for years online and nit-picking unimportant details is his stock in trade. Seldom has anything useful to add to a discussion.

The azaleas are gorgeous and that riverside photo looks like a wonderful area in which to hike.

dbarron thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    4 years ago

dbarron, That path blocker makes me feel right at home, though not necessarily in a good way. One thing Tim and I were discussing last night was how we currently are seeing fewer snakes. This happened in 2008 after the massive flooding of 2007 too. I hope you had an awesome hike anyway! It looks like it would be a great place to hike. We are too alkaline down here to grow azaleas like that without monumental soil replacement and such, so I just admire them in the photos of people who have the right soil and growing conditions for them.

Dawn

dbarron thanked Okiedawn OK Zone 7
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Do you know what kind of snake it is?

dbarron thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As referenced in the first paragraph, it's a copperhead. The least worrisome of the four venomous snake genuses in the state. The other three being rattlesnakes, coral snakes, and cottonmouths. There being several species of rattlesnake found here, including timber, pygmy, and western diamondback,
    Several small dinosaurs were found (various swift and skinks) as well.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Sorry I missed the comment in the first paragraph; too distracted by the lovely photos! I am happy to live in a state with only one small pocket of timber rattlers, so I don’t have to worry about snakes being dangerous.

dbarron thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You know, we don't worry about them much either..but when presented 'in your face'...you gotta give them room. We waited till it decided to crawl off before venturing forward, not having any idea how many more were around us :) (I still don't...none showed) But I wouldn't be surprised to have found cottonmouths and rattlers also.