Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdawson79

Large Covered Back Porch -- Need Ideas for More Natural Light

Paige
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey ya'll! My husband I have finally decided on a modern farmhouse plan that we love and are building in about 15 months. I know that sounds like forever, but I'm super OCD, so I must have everything figured out before we break ground! I've attached a photo of the original plan and front view rendering. Although we've made some changes, the two areas of concern remain the same.

The plan has a 6'9" deep front porch that goes across the entire front of the house, as well as a large 20' x 21' covered back porch that runs the entire length of the great room.

My dilemma is this... While I'm not as concerned about the front, how in the world are we gonna get any natural light in the great room?? I don't need it to pour in, mind you, but I would like some. FYI, we will have white 3'' plantation shutters on all windows, walls will be a very light, airy color with white trim, and we'll have hardwood floors in a medium tone as well.

We absolutely want to keep the covered porch where it is and we want an outdoor fireplace -- this is in central Alabama, so we've gotta watch football out there (WAR EAGLE!! ...just saying.) ;)

I'd love to know what you guys think... what options do I have?

Thanks, ya'll!!

Comments (55)

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

I had two in my similarly sized covered patio. They were rectangular, approximately 2’ x 3’ ( just a guess ). Provided lots of light.

... regarding plantation shutters. My beach home has them throughout. I love them , easy to keep clean & they absolutely do not cut down on light or the view. I wouldn’t have had them installed if they did. I like a VERY light house. Mine are 4” without the center wand. I regret not installing them in my 2d home in the desert where I have flat Roman shades. They look good but require more maintenance since they’re fabric & they block more light unless raised up.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I was unable to open that link...
  • Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, K Lawrence! We have plantation shutter throughout our home now, and I didn’t really think they cut down on light either (they are 3.5”)... I really do like the way they look and the privacy they provide, so I’d like to go with them again if I can.

I will most definitely look into the panels in the porch roof! Thanks again!

• partim
    4 years ago

The rising sun and the setting sun are low in the sky, so they will penetrate into the east and west facing windows, and under your porch overhangs. Decide where you can tolerate the hot low west sun penetrating into your living areas. In a hot climate, I would orient the house so the west side has the fewest windows. Most windows facing north or south.

Paige thanked partim
  • PRO
    Nest Obsessed Interior Design
    4 years ago

I agree that skylights will help. As far as house orientation, if you want sunlight in the mid day, southern facing exposure is ideal. East for morning light and west for strong late afternoon light. Definitely don’t face north or it will be quite dark. On a side note, plan for decor and furnishings on the fireplace porch to relate to family room - since that will be your view from the family room.

Paige thanked Nest Obsessed Interior Design
  • Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks guys! You all are so helpful! My husband thinks I’m “wacko” for worrying about these “irrelevant” aspects, but we’re building our dream home on a beautiful 31 acre farm, so every detail is important, IMO.

I finally got the link posted above to open, and I have to say that I’m quite pleased with the amount of light shown in it - and the LR/DR/KIT layout is almost identical to our plan!

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nest Obsessed, do you mean don’t have the front of the house facing north, or simply the part you’re worried will be dark (in this case, the back of the house), or both? So sorry if this is a dumb question!!

• PRO
    4 years ago

I would face the back of your house south to get the most light...since those are the rooms you’ll spend the most time in.:)

Paige thanked Nest Obsessed Interior Design
  • Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Nest!!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Your example photo above, with all the light, has wide open windows, not plantation shutters. They will block a LOT of light and views. You may not need any covering on the window with such a large covered patio. At least wait until you are in the house and living there before you order the shutters.

• partim
    4 years ago

Also look into a skylight for your kitchen. To me it also looks dark. You can put your plan into a program that will show you the light in a room depending on where you live and how the house faces. See if you like it.

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

We are building and I had the same concerns. I did a consultation with Flo a pro here on Houzz. She suggested skylights on the back porch and several areas to put solar tubes.

I must say we are about 6 weeks from move in and. everytime we go out to the house we are amazed at how much light is streaming in. You are So right to plan every detail because it is very easy to miss something. Good

• Daisy S
    4 years ago

Paige...that photo of the blue and white living space has every light/lamp turned on...most of us don’t live that way. I love our solar tubes. They make all of the difference in our windowless laundry and hall bath...also in the inside end of kitchen. We could use another in our east facing family room - it is dark in the afternoon. Model homes are infamous for having all the lights turned on, so you don’t realize how dark the rooms really are during the day...Good luck on your build- exciting!

• My House
    4 years ago

Paige, I'm glad you were able to see the model home pics. The model house faces west- -the front door faces west. Therefore, the back of the model house (great room, patio room, master receives eastern sun, which is IDEAL considering the hot afternoon sun & glare on the TV (afternoon sports games) This home is in So.Cal. You can see the floorplan from that link. There is a 2nd story- it's a 5 bedroom house- 2nd story has large entertainment space and bedroom suite and there is a guest suite downstairs as well.

Reversed- but this is the front of the house. It's in a close set neighborhood, which is why it is deep /narrow & front garage.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Just finished a custom home with almost the same plan....but it did not have enclosed porch off back. Back of house faces east. Morning sun is good but mid day the space is not bright at all. We did not have a choice on orientation though since it was a lakefront lot.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You guys are so, so helpful! I truly appreciate all the comments and concerns expressed. I’m not sure what solar tubes are, but I will definitely look into that option. Do the skylights and/or solar tubes make the house hot? We are in AL, so HOT from May - October.

• My House
    4 years ago

I hate skylights. I had some in a 1980s condo, and the glass allowed the house to bake. Although they are installed by professionals, I see no valid reason to disrupt the integrity of a roof. Sun glare & TV are not a happy couple.

• partim
    4 years ago

Skylight should have a shade, in your climate.

• jo_in_tx
    4 years ago

I don't think you can look at these photos and determine how much light is coming through the windows. These photos were professionally shot, and that includes professionally lighting!

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow... lots of differing opinions on skylights.

• partim
    4 years ago

This is often a problem in larger houses, particularly single story. The only way to fix the problem while keeping a single story is to stretch the house out so that it is not so square. Then there will be no dark middle and each room or set of rooms will have a window on 2 sides.

The rectangular house shape can be bent in to an L shape, a U shape or a courtyard house. Have you considered a U shaped or even a courtyard house? It doesn't work in my climate but I love how each room gets so much light.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Plantation shutters don't block noise at all. You need something that will absorb it--like curtains that you dislike for some reason.

But the bigger question is: What kind of noise are you worried about on a 31-acre farm???

• jill302
    4 years ago

Another skylight fan. We live in So Cal., our previous house had a deep covered patio along our kitchen and part of our family room in the back of the house. Our back was west facing but very little sun made it to the kitchen. Was dark and dreary until during a kitchen remodel we had a skylight added to our kitchen, loved it. The skylight really helped bring natural light into the kitchen. Would have added a second skylight but did not work with our second story.

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

There are so many versions of skylights & motorized shades to deal with any heat issues ( Hunter Douglas & many others ), also, tinted skylights , some people in my neighborhood have skylights that open to allow heat to escape or to let cool ocean breezes in. Like I said, I have five of them, wouldn’t have a house without some. I hate dark rooms, hallways, garages ( had one put in the garage ) .

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim, I’m sure a different shape would allow more light. However, we’ve been looking at plans for over a year (like looking almost everyday), and this is what we’re sticking with. If that means we’ll need to install more recessed lighting and lose more natural light in the living room, then that’s just the trade-off... The only room that I’m concerned about is the living room.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tatts... I’m not sure where noise came in. LOL

The issue is light. :)

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Can someone refer me to an app or site that will show me how much sunlight my home will get (as described earlier upthread)? TIA

• My House
    4 years ago

Paige,. Your house won't be a cave, as it will have windows, not solid walls. If your patio fireplace walls were SOLID walls without openings, then you might have cause to worry about dark-cave-like great room. The patio fireplace is open to the sides, It isn't a solid wall. The wall between the patio and your home is entirely windows & glass doors. The sun will stream rays of light onto the patio through the openings. Light is a wave and will make its way into your house.

This link is for more model homes- all homes have covered patio spaces. Some have the fireplace directly ahead, while others have the fireplace to the side, Both enable you to have the outdoor room experience that expands the great room. https://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK Haas, thanks so much for the info and encouragement! Quite honestly, not getting a ton of direct sunlight in the AL heat of summer may not be such a bad thing. We are actually planning on having 3-4 huge windows stretched across that back wall... then adding French doors to the patio off the breakfast area IN ADDITION TO the other windows on the back of the breakfast area. Then the front obviously has the windows in what will be our dining room and the dormers over the front door. Here is a photoshopped photo of our modifications. The only other change will be the living room wall windows.

I have two versions... one with semi-closed dining room (to which we will do glass French sliding/pocket doors, and one with open dining room.

• My House
    4 years ago

Great changes planned for the back of the house.

My eyes are drawn to THE POST at the dining room..... Is that avoidable? I'm thinking - big beam overhead, as that will open the space and give the ability to expand the table for large gatherings, rather than just seat 6..... Fit both sets of future in-laws / grandkids at the table-

ugliest post example below-

another example-

floor plan -
    https://www.brightonhomes-idaho.com/floorplans/nuburgh/

This next home has front garages. So, there is a long entry hall to get to the rear great room, but the "no post" in the dining room is illustrated.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK, thanks! ...we’re leaning towards the semi-closed dining room with pocket French doors but haven’t quite decided just yet. And you’re absolutely right - the post is horrendous. If we leave it open, it will have no post and be totally open.

I did find out today that the dormers are in the attic, so won’t be able to get natural light there. :(

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK, thanks for the link. I’m a little weary of skylights for several reasons. The main being the structural integrity of our roof... then there’s the HOT AL sun... not to mention I’m not sure how I feel about the aesthetic. I don’t think we would put them inside our home.
    What is your opinion of having them on the roof of the covered porch?

For the house, I want to research the sun tubes... I’d never heard of these. That said, I’m kinda worried about making holes in our roof. Maybe that’s a silly concern, I don’t know.

I have included a few photos of a home that has a covered porch with fireplace in the same location as our plan and with a similar depth. Let me know what you think would be the best option for something like this.

• My House
    4 years ago

I sent the link to skylight discussion because the first three comments were against them. I hate skylights - I had them in a 1980s condo- disrupts the integrity of the roof. (FYI -Solar tubes are round skylights.) I'd pass.

Follow what is depicted in the images above. Electrical -fans, ceiling lights, TV wiring. After all, you will enjoy the outdoor room in the afternoons & evenings.

Consider extending flooring to the outdoor room, which gives a continuous flow. Wood-look tile is shown here

https://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/public/vtour/display/209717

Don't you have room for formal dining in the great room?

I'd keep the front study. See this model- https://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/public/vtour/display/209720

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Please, just a word of caution. Do not base the amount of light you will get in your new build based on any photo you see online (blue and white model home fo example). It is SO easy to make any room in a photo look bright and cheery (even with the lights off) just by manipulating the shadow areas in the picture. Photoshop can work wonders. I lightened the shadows of the previous posts picture just with my iPhone ....

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK, I think I’m shying away from all things skylight... it just seems like has the potential for a headache down the road. We will follow that lighting diagram - good stuff! Thanks!!!

Regarding the plan... we switched around a few things. The “study” will be our formal dining area and the front bedroom will be the study.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@nidnay... Noted! :)

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK... we’ll eat most meals in the breakfast area off the kitchen, and reserve the front for guests.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Better clarification:

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

One other thing....if at all possible, I would orient the house so that the back faces south. It’s evident that light is very important to you and no matter what, with the plan you have chosen, you are going to struggle getting enough light into your living room and kitchen. Your kitchen has no windows and even if your covered porch was half the depth, the interior spaces would still be very dark if facing any other direction other than south because your living room and dining rooms are set back (even with a southern exposure it will be a problem) Remember, you also have a fireplace on that back patio which will also block the light.

I agonized over my house design and placement as well because light is SUPER important to me. I’ve lived in homes with different exposures and knew that south afforded me the greatest natural light (and sunlight). I even decided against doing a screened porch off my great room (did an open patio instead) because I knew it would drastically cut down on light reaching the room. I love a screened porch but had to make a decision as to which was more important to me. Basically the entire back of my home is windows (back faces south) with windows on the east and west walls as well....I love my light!

• My House
    4 years ago

Before deciding on which direction the house should face, don't forget to evaluate the effects of afternoon sun and....

1) Master Bedroom -temperature. Warmer master suite due to late sun is something I'd avoid. Yes, you can turn up the AC. However, if you can avoid afternoon sun in the rooms you will use in the evening, then IMHO that's best.

2). your landscaping .Many plants require morning sun and afternoon shade, or full sun. For example, the north side of my house -outside the guest room- won't grow grass. Strawberries and hostas are fine, but no grass where I'd prefer it. I'd love to have roses, but there is not enough sun. Hydrangeas might work there (morning sun and afternoon shade), but they are toxic to dogs. So, determine what you want landscaping wise-. You can always turn on a lamp if you need light in a room.

Love your new plan!

Re: Blue & white, Red white-black, AND Green-white-brown model houses that I posted above,. I've toured these homes & I was able to switch lights on/off. It was not dark, as some suggested. They all had soothing light in the afternoon and the FRONT of the homes faced WEST. Perhaps it was intentional ploy by the builder (Van Daele) as it was part of a huge community development- Sycamore Creek in SoCal and they could have built the staged models anywhere? front of the homes faced west. physics- light is a wave and finds its way into a room.

• Paige
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK, I’m glad you mentioned that having the back of the home facing south would mean the master suite would be warmer as well. I don’t think that would be optimal in the Deep South - it’s just sweltering, and I cannot tolerate being hot in our bedroom. Is it crazy that I may now try
    to position our new home to AVOID the hot afternoon sun??!! I like light and all, but since it was mentioned that it won’t be a dungeon, I think I’m good with just some light trickling in the living room. Hubs is very sensitive to light and would be as happy in a cave... so he’s not too concerned about a lot of natural light coming in.

We are doing lots of recessed lights throughout the home, and almost all will have dimmers, as I enjoy them in our current home and like the ability to have something in between dark and “in your face bright” on occasion. :)

Funny you mention landscaping, as my husband owns a landscape company! I know nothing about any of it, but I’ve heard him mention things like this several times when a client wants ABC plants for a certain location, but only XYZ plants will thrive there.

After speaking with my husband about the whole skylight/sun tube issue, he was not a fan - and for the exact same reasons given here (additional heat, “putting holes in the roof”/compromising structural integrity, additional cost, cost of potential repairs, etc... so it sounds like that’s out. He did say he might consider a couple of skylights in the roof on the covered porch only, but feels like that defeats the purpose of a COVERED porch. I mean, he’s not wrong there. LOL

All that said, there has been a ton of good information given, and I appreciate all of it! I welcome and appreciate any and all suggestions and opinions - I’ve learned so much from y’all! Keep ‘em coming!

• Diane Brenner
    4 years ago

My husband and I agonized over building on our land or remodeling the old farmhouse. My advice to you is what was given to me by a contractor: Go to the lot you're building on at different times of the day, and during the different seasons too. I'm assuming AL cools off a little during winter? And sun sets a little lower at least? We took pictures from the NSEW at early morning, late morning, early afternoon, dusk. It definitely differed from season to season, and we would have had our back porch facing South. I loooooooove light and will always have where I spend the most time facing South so I can get the most sun exposure. I really hate the heat, but I don't care if my bedroom is hot during the day - I'm not in there. I'm at work, I'm in the main living area, which is shaded a bit by the covered porch and isn't receiving direct sunlight.

Just my two cents. But really, take photos on the lot at different times of day, and if you're not building for 15 months, different seasons too.

• Evelyn Gorfram
    4 years ago

If AL summers are anything like the CA summers I experienced grow up, you should face the back of your house EAST (or, okay, maybe southeast). Strong summer heat radiates into south-facing windows during the day, and the sun pounds through west windows in afternoons and evenings.

Orienting the back windows to the east would put the garage-&-laundry wall of your house facing south, and those seem to be most windowless walls of your house. The master suite will face north and stay cool. Your kids may not thank you for their west-facing bedroom windows in the heat of summer; but buy them some AC and good window shades, or else bribe them with candy or college tuition or something.

I don't think light will be a problem anytime of year with those big windows, especially if you keep your outdoor finishes bright and reflective. If you take another look at that first photo you posted of the blue-&-white house, the windows are all totally overexposed: light is pouring in through them. That's probably *why* the photographer had all the indoor lights on, to try to get enough indoor light to compete with all that light coming in the windows.

• davidsherwood
    2 years ago

Hi Paige,
    Did you end up building this plan? How did your light situation work out? We’re getting ready to build and have the same concerns. I would appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!

• Melissa Kennedy
    2 years ago

Paige, im dying to know if yall ended up building this plan and how the lighting turned out? Please update!

• Joyce T
    10 months ago

@Paige - we’re looking at a very similar floorplan and have the same concerns, how did yours turn out? did you get enough natural light in your great room with that patio?

• Paige
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Joyce, it turned out totally fine! We are about 6 week from moving in, and the windows across the back provide PLENTY of light. We just don’t have the blinding blaring sunlight - which is a positive in AL!

• Joyce T
    10 months ago

Amazing! Thanks for the insight Paige, much appreciated. And congrats on moving in soon, must be an exciting time :)

• Paige
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you!!