Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luluq07

Around the stove

Lindsay
4 years ago

I don’t have a gas stove and I find the area around the stove is always cluttered. Does anyone have suggestions? I would like it to look organized

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
    4 years ago

Lindsay, is this your home or a rental unit? It appears you have just the one under cabinet light to the right of the range, is that correct? or do they turn on independently? The reason I ask is that if you are able to have an electrician run an outlet strip under the cabinet, you could remove the outlet adapter and not have all of the plugs in one spot.

There are undercabinet organizers that might work for you - one that allows an ipad to be hung from the underside of a wall cabinet, for instance. I would suggest utensils, oil/vinegar, etc. be stored in your cabinetry although there are racks for storing things at the ready. See this article for more on utensil hanging racks that might also be an option.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-hanging-magic-of-kitchen-wall-rail-organization-stsetivw-vs~586283

The key then would be to have all of your utensils be the same finish and to keep everything in its place. I know that can be tough when life gets in the way (!), but a more serene look for sure.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Get a rectangular tray or two to corral stuff. Put cookware away. Ditch extras of everything. I’m sure you use the coffee grinder daily, but store it in a cabinet, or move the coffee maker to the left to hide the cords and stick the grinder in the corner. In cabinets, use clear plastic bins for organized storage. In my experience lazy susans are useless, so don’t bother with those. Homegoods is great to get ideas and buy stuff at great prices. Good luck.

• bowser24
    4 years ago

Honestly I’m glad this dilemma came up! I’m constantly stupefied when people post there issues but haven’t bothered to tidy up!!!! WHAT!!!

• hazelcraddock
    4 years ago

A big basket. My DH - in this case DARN HUSBAND - does not put things away. I pop them into a large basket or there wouldn't be a clear space on the counter. I'd even put the frying pan in there if he left it out. He doesn't mind clutter. I do. This is my solution.

• Lauren Bomhof
    4 years ago

I don’t know if you have a lazy Susan, but what I did was I had him put an electrical outlet in the lazy Susan. Then a thing that stops the electricity when the door closes so it’s legal. I keep my toaster, blender, grinder and food processor all plugged in and they stay under there! It’s brilliant!

• Emily R.
    4 years ago

I have installed a nice wicker "crap box" on my husband's side of the bed for ^ this very reason.

• Jora
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My brain is weird...clutter, of any kind, messes with it. I cook and bake a LOT, and as soon as I'm done with whatever I'm using to cook/bake with, I put it away.

Not that it's the desired look, but for me the only things that belong on my countertops are my espresso machine, paper towels/holder, and phone! :)

Everything else is put away, until/after I need/use it.

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you to everyone that was helpful on here! I run a business and have two small kids at my feet all day, so sorry I didn't put the frying pan away! I do appreciate the time you took to respond!!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Clear it off completely for a week and then only put back the items you found it hard to manage without having them near.

• J J
    4 years ago

Living your Life! Good for you for sharing your space to us. Don't be ashamed that your kitchen isn't picture perfect.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Get a slide-in range with knobs on the front and no back. The splash is continuous and much less cluttered looking.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Get all the stuff off the conters which seems to be the issue so more storage or better organized storage . Keep the coffee maker out put everything else in drawers or cabinets.

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

Thank you to everyone that was helpful on here! I run a business and have two small kids at my feet all day, so sorry I didn't put the frying pan away! I do appreciate the time you took to respond!!

You're complaining about the clutter, and how to fix it. Well, putting the frying pan away is step one in reducing clutter. Don't use kids as an excuse, it took more time for you to post your dilemma here than it would to put the pan away.