Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisheva_a

Coretec samples don't match pictures posted online?

Pinpoint
4 years ago

Hi all,

Houzz has been a tremenedously useful reference in my renovation project.

The problem I'm running into is that when I see a physical flooring sample and then look online, the photos (both manufacturers' and consumers') bear very little resemblance to what I'm holding in my hand!

What I see online tends to look way darker. Is it that

a) the lighting or screen variations are making things look different, or

b) a full installation makes the tone look much darker than a small piece, or

c) am I dreaming?

Do I choose my floor color based on the 8" sample in my hand, or based on photos of installations?

I can't find anyone in my area with the colors I'm considering.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi Elisheva. It is true that online photos are not always true to actual product tones. The reasons for this are many including the lighting in the online photos, that photos vary from one online screen to another, and the lighting/other elements in your own home. It is true also that a larger sample is different from a small sample.

I do a lot of e-design and what I use a combination for myself and client to make the right decision: look at many online photos, the vendor website and a sample in your own home.

What Corectec product are you considering and could I please see photos of your home where the flooring is to be installed? Thanks.

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, Thanks for your response. I'm looking at Rocky Mountain Oak or Peruvian Walnut (I like light), but I also love what I see of the color and natural variation of Red River Hickory.

It's going in this room but the paint color will be a blue--something like BM 1629

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

What about the fireplace? Is that going to remain the same?

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Do you have a local flooring store that sells Coretec near you? Most will let you check out their display samples to use in your home. These are typically around 24” square and will give you a better idea of the overall pattern/color/lightness/darkness. A real sample in your home is way more helpful than any online example.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Also, don’t paint before floor - paint last. This will allow you to select the perfect shade and will avoid clean up/touch up from the messy floor process.

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I'm leaving the fireplace. And yes, leaving paint for last. I am going to bring home the real samples, just not sure how they translate into a full-room installation

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do I choose the sample I like best? Or do I give more weight to photos of real installations?

• Katie
    4 years ago

Hi. Like Jennifer, we narrowed down our choices to two and purchased a box of each. The flooring place we are going to use will not allow us to return these boxes but at about $150 per box, I think it's money well-spent. We have laid the floors in our house for about two weeks now -- it definitely gives you a better feel for the color. Good luck!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Farmhouse Living Room · More Info

Right now, the golden-toned beams and fireplace brick are clashing. So, before you even begin to choose a flooring, I would decide which of those (or both) will be changed.

Blue paint would not work with the current fireplace.

The photo above is from your ideabook. You have other similar ones. Note that the brick is a much smaller footprint than yours and is whitewashed. Your brick is very different: a large footprint and very busy. Also, the trim blends well with this brick. Your trim is not working with your brick.

Sorry to divert you. I just don't want you to be disappointed in the final outcome. Design is holistic and you have to consider all of the elements.

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDR, thanks for your thoughtful analysis. I'll pick paint treatments after, right now though I just want to focus on getting a floor color I'll like. The rest will follow, hopefully.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi Elisheva. You are welcome. Do you really want to rely on "hope" as a strategy? You really need to look at the whole picture, when designing.

The floor color you like needs to fit in with anything that is definitely going to stay.

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Putting aside my particular decorating situation--does anyone have further insight into how to choose the right color? Based more on sample, more on pictures? Does one assume a full floor will always look darker than the sample?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The answer to your question is that the real samples are what you want to go by. (However, online photos do give you an idea of what type of other elements your choice would go with).

Eventually, you want to do what Jennifer explained: once your choice is narrowed down, buy a box of the final 2 contenders.

Another point is this: any material that is busy, very dark or very light, when viewed in bulk(in your case an entire floor) will be amplified.

Hope that helps.

• PRO
    Pinpoint
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That makes sense!

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

I also suggest removing the really WILD colours that are in the space/home already. The intense colours on the wall and the floors (from the one photo) will cause issues with how the floor samples/boxes look.

So it is best to remove the carpet and PRIME the walls white. Once you have a colour-neutral room to evaluate the floors, you will have a much better idea re: presentation. Rose colour carpet throws +++pink into the air (and thus the floor samples) and the intense yellow wall paint will throw HUGE amounts of yellow onto the samples as well. There is no way around these issues. The only way to counter act them = remove all that colour (remove carpet; prime the walls) and THEN investigate the look of your chosen samples.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    4 years ago

A box of the actual flooring is always a good idea if you think the samples may be to far from what you really want. We usually send 3-4 pieces about 18" long of a floor before commencing on a project. A computer screen is only the first step in picking a floor.

• scerrir
    3 years ago

What did you end up choosing??? I'm so interested to know!!