Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildernesthomestead

How to get new house address on Google/GPS/etc?

Kelsey Janak
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So not exactly house building related, but we have our house number now since pulling the building permit. Getting contractors and people to the lot the past three years has been a long winded process of "go to house number x and then look to the right and we are that driveway with the sign and little free library," so I was excited to finally get a house number and make it easier!

Except it obviously doesn't show up on any GPS's so we're back to square one it seems haha.

For those who have finished their builds, what did you do to get your address on the map? Most of my google results turn up old things that no longer exist.

Comments (12)

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Would be nice to know, here, too.

Fortunately GPS finds my street, which is less than half a mile long. I just say, "first house on the right, and it's log" - and put a house number by the entry to the driveway. (Fortunately no one ever wants to come in from the other direction to my road... rural back roads can be a nightmare, or at least on par with some scary amusement park rides...)

UPS and FedEx have figured it out. Google has a different set of parameters than Waze, apparently - both drop people off at different points on my road.

• marjen
    4 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. Our street is a loop and Wave and google just throw a pin half way around the loop. Apple maps of all places actually has our addresses loaded now but can't figure out how to update the others.

• Brad Smith
    4 years ago

The map database doesn't have coordinates for each and every street number. Typically they'll have the numbers at key points (either end, or major intersections) and "interpolate" in between. Depending on the accuracy of the "known" points, and how far away you are from either/both of them, your precise location will be off just a bit (or a lot). However, I keep this bookmarked to pass along to people inquiring about submitting corrections: https://www.gps.gov/support/user/mapfix/devices-and-maps/

For the vast majority of GPS data, it's Here Maps that you want to submit to. Don't hold your breath though. Most submitted corrections take two to three years to get past the Review stage, and then another year or so to make it onto the master database, and then another year or so before the 3rd parties that implement in their specific units (ie. the GPS manufacturers) to pick the changes up.

• rrah
    4 years ago

Thanks for the above link. For years Google Maps brought people right to our house. About 6-8 months ago Google Maps started sending people to the back of our property which is kind of on a different street. To get to our house cars and delivery drivers would need to go down a very steep 300 ft., wooded sloop, cross a large creek, and then drive about 1/4 mile or more through our woods. BTW--they go right past our actual street. I'm going to try to fix it.

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

why not just give folks the longitude and latitude numbers?

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

take heart. google runs the cars around often. eventually, youll be on their map.

• User
    4 years ago

I remember what a hassle this was....

We had a new house built about 4 years ago or so now. We had quite the fun with UPS and Fed Ex for awhile. Made a few in-person visits to local delivery operations, as well as a few trips to the post office too, because even they struggled for reasons which didn't make a lot of sense. Even trying to have stuff sent in the mail was hard because some vendors wouldn't even let me fill in my new address - it would tell me no such address exists. Good times.

It does resolve itself. Eventually. :)

• weedyacres
    4 years ago

We built a factory on farmland-turned-industrial park. Our building was done before the roads, so the city built us a temporary gravel road in the back way. We had to give verbal directions to everyone to find us. Within a year, google knew our building was there and it routed people down the gravel road. I was impressed.

18 months after moving in, the permanent roads opened and the city tore out the gravel back road. We had to begin giving verbal directions to everyone about the new way to find us, as the roads weren't yet on google maps.

Those roads have been open a year now, and google maps still steers people to the (former) gravel road, that is now a mud path. Trucks have gotten stuck. People have cut across fields, blindly following google.

A year ago I submitted corrections to google maps. Nothing has changed yet. The former gravel road now shows on google as "unnamed road" (more permanent than before). I am no longer impressed.

Sorry, can't help you. I'm at a loss. :-/

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Patriceny: Even trying to have stuff sent in the mail was hard because some vendors wouldn't even let me fill in my new address - it would tell me no such address exists. Good times.

It took me awhile before Amazon would accept my address as being a valid one. So, I resorted to sending stuff to my old CT address, which would be forwarded up via USPS to my current MA address. Fortunately, at least this one glitch got sorted out before the year's forwarding option wore out. They now send my stuff to me.

But I'm still not a valid address number on my own road, and I checked - no one else from my road has a number in GPS systems I've been able to check. Even that pre-colonial house across from me. (Being a short road helps here.)

• nhb22
    4 years ago

We were told to go to 911 to get our address. However, when at the Planning and Zoning building, we were directed to an office where a lady gave us an array of addresses to choose from. Y'all have me worried about systems not recognizing address numbers. I can't live without my Amazon!!! :)

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

until recently most street addresses were provided by the utility that provided your electricity (even if you didn't have an account with them). Now, most addresses are provided by the emergency provider organization in your county/township.