Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aafa_dennison

How Can I Get My 1970s House more modern??

AaFa Dennison
4 years ago

Take out the shutters? Definitely want to change the entry door but do not know which design/ color .... Change the green trim? Paint? Please help! Thank you

Comments (18)

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

At first glance, new landscaping would really help. is it possible to get a shot without the tree limb in the way? and, it would also help to know your budget.

AaFa Dennison thanked Sammie J
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Shutters definitely need to go. So too probably most of the landscaping that's close to the house.

AaFa Dennison thanked groveraxle
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Remove shutters, paint garage door and trim around it to match siding, replace front door with one that is like the more modern windows and paint trim to match windows or new door, enlarge all the outdoor lantern lights, get a pro to tend to that tree on the right, and pull out all your landscaping and start over unless those are hostas under the tree; you could leave them in place if they are healthy and bloom as they should.

AaFa Dennison thanked decoenthusiaste
  • AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sammie J Yes landscape will really help I didnt think about it ... I will take a picture tomorrow now is dark. My budget is minimum I try to do it all myself, sorry for that ...

• AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

groveraxle Yes shutters, that is easy, I'll get on that tomorrow and update pic. How do you envision the landscaping?

• AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

decoenthusiaste Yes remove shutters urgently! I'll get on that tomorrow. About the garage door I asked about it and was told that since it comes in that color if I paint it I will have a headache repainting it every year because paint comes off with the movement? How about leaving it white?

Front door definitely, or at least the storm door that is the one that shows so much. What are your thought on color statement doors? Which color would you use here?

The green trims I was thinking of painting them white or the color of the fence that will be a desert sand color?

Enlarge all the outdoor lantern lights! Loved this idea never thought about it thank you!

Get a pro to tend to that tree on the right. Do you mean trim it? make it smaller without touching the ground?

The bottom plants are lilies of the valley and hostas on the far right. Would you think of changing it all to hostas?

Thank you so much for the ideas!

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

Hello! Really lovely home!!

It’s hard for me to see the colors exactly, I think the white garage door is beautiful and would / could pop if you painted the bricks on each side. Perhaps paint them black? The front door could be any color you want. I’ve seen so many front door colors that just pop! Even a chartreuse green. I’m just having a hard time seeing the vinyl color and the trim color, around garage looks green but not positive? New lights are good, you could even throw in those cheapy solar ones to line the driveway up.

Also, if the brick goes black, might want to keep the black shutters? Or you could do thick black trim around those windows to tie it in? Or planter boxes? No clue lol just ideas!!!

AaFa Dennison thanked Julie Schmooley
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Is the door vinyl or aluminum? The major paint companies make specialty paints for those, so I think you can paint it. Do your top panels snap out for windows? That would be a good look. I would keep house trims consistent and let the fence do its own thing. Where will it be installed? White might be a better choice if it butts to the house. I don't know what kind of tree that is but I doubt is it supposed to touch the ground. A pro will know what to do to keep it healthy yet not let it block your facade or its roots disturb your foundation. You could keep all the plants but add day lilies behind or in front of the lilies of the valley for longer lasting and brighter color. Another pretty shade lover is Solomon's seal.

AaFa Dennison thanked decoenthusiaste
  • AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Julie Schmooley Thank you for the lovely :) I am putting so much effort with my own hands that I appreciate it. The siding is vinyl in Sage and the details of the house came with a deep forest green which does not catch me too much. I like the chartreuse green idea for the door because my first thought went through the yellow path but it did not convince so that it a good mid point :) I really like the idea of the black brick will have to sleep with that one a little. So you do like shutters?

• AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

decoenthusiaste The door is steel by I want to replace it completely because it is very drafty and load of cold come in the house in the winter so we could go anything here.

Do your top panels snap out for windows? You mean the garage? It will be nice, they dont right now but it is an idea I could keep for the future and replace the door.

The fence is already there I'll add some pictures. It frames the back yard and its been weathered wood since 2005 :/

The tree is a crab apple, you are right that I need to change the landscaping, it is something I haven't thought about yet (so many things!) I loved those pictures with the day lilies the do very well in our climate, diverse the bed a little with different types of flowers. I will trim the tree and take it off the ground for sure.

Thank you so much for all the ideas!!

And these are the color I was considering to stain the fence:

Which one do you like?

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

Well right now the shutters are barely seen so for me, they’re not a big issue. I do think shutters are a great way to add in another color or tone if you need to. Painting the brick black, I would def paint the shutters black. Also, people paint brick the same color of the exterior for a more monochrome look (however I think since the driveway is to the side, a different color would pop) black or wood accents are all the rage right now for going modern. I just did a quick google image search here are photos I thought you may enjoy!

And take it one day at a time and def sleep on the ideas!! I know what it’s like, so overwhelming and then you’ll feel excited to do something but then maybe later think of something else lol! I’ve been remodeling my house for over a year and I’m still thinking of stuff wish I could turn my brain off! :)

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

Lastly, if it’s in budget it might be worth considering replacing the front facing windows to be black exterior (or maybe you could paint them) again, when I think modern that’s what I think of. But I think the windows are lovely without it just an idea

• AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures! I will definitely endlessly keep thinking about it. The windows are originally brown and have been painted white on top (I just discovered that today!) So I think I could definitely paint them black I like that idea too! I see what you mean about the shutters, tomorrow I will try to take them out and see how it looks without them. Thanks I'll keep you posted and will go to bed googling images :p

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Shutters are not modern. Take them down.

AaFa Dennison thanked groveraxle
  • AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago

groveraxle Oh wow thank you I love it! definitely get rid of that rounded rock circle around the light fixture, never understood the point off it. I would get rid of the whole thing with light included too, although with a modern design I have to say it looks great. Love the front door! and need to clean a little the plants and it looks good without the shutters I like that THANK YOU !!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

And don't paint the brick. No need to add maintenance to a no-maintenance material if you don't have to.

• AaFa Dennison
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

groveraxle It is important to think about practicality too. What did you think about the colors for the fence?

It is nice to not have that bed of plants for the front and just a clean modern entrance I like that a lot too!! And the garage door looks nice !

If tomorrow is a nice day I will do some work with what you guys helped and send you pics :)