Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rheens

Help me give my living room a little update!

R H
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am looking to give our living room space a facelift and not sure where to begin. I tend to gravitate towards wood furniture and the next thing I know - my living room theme is brown. I need to add a pop of colour and perhaps some modernized pieces (maybe more white?). My preferred style is farmhouse, industrial with a dash of rustic.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

• R H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you junco East Georgia Zone 8a! I tried to post all of the photos but only one loaded the first time.

I completely agree with the bigger and brighter rug - I was thinking maybe a jute one.

I'm leaning towards moving the table with the lamp in the corner to a different room and replacing it with something else - any ideas how to fill that space? Again, trying to clear out too many wood pieces.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

5-5-75 will help you out a lot. Hang stuff centered 5' above the floor or 5" above furniture and keep its size within 75% of the furniture's width. I would rearrange, putting the TV on a credenza 25% wider than the TV and on the wall where you have the sofa now. Sell the loveseat and get 1-2 small scale swivel chairs. Sell the collegiate ladder shelf too and leave the wall there bare. Float the sofa with its back to the stairs and a walkway behind it. Place the chairs facing each other over a new wood coffee table placed 18" or less from the sofa. Use the clock in the kitchen or breakfast area or in your office. Check out ruggable.com for washable rugs. The rug should be at least 2' wider than the sofa and slip under the front 1/3 of it. The chairs should sit entirely on it or entirely off so they will swivel properly to face the TV. Put your tall plant from the other room by the stairs and loosen the curtains to fall to the floor.

• R H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your input decoenthusiaste! That's great feedback regarding the TV positioning height! We just recently purchased the couches so I wouldn't want to get rid of the love seat at this point. I will try to move the couch and TV, but since the room is small, it may end up being too close for viewing. I will certainly remove those curtain ties though- this seems to be the consensus! Any thoughts on decor to brighten up the space?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

A jute rug would just be more brown. Look for a colorful pattern that picks up your blue from the couches.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I like Deco suggestions. When you done with Deco ideas, give us new photos please, we help you with decor.

Furniture layout

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH