Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnorton3

Help with area rug please!

Lynn N
4 years ago

Hi,

I have an older sectional couch that is an olive greenish color (picture in the middle is closeup) with gray undertones that used to have red and gold pillows. I am trying to update it without getting a new one yet. I added gray and beige pillows but now need to get a new area rug. Any suggestions? I have been looking at Pottery Barn since they have a sale. I also could use a rug for the dining table too. Thank you!

Comments (38)

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

It appears that you are working towards a mono-chromatic palette of grays, cream and blk/brown. Do you want to introduce color in the rugs or do you want to keep within this color palette? Also, you need a larger rug that will go at least under the front of the sofa legs. Do you know what size you need for living room? I'd focus on finding a living room rug first and then move onto the dining room area. Personally, I am wondering if you even need a rug under the table but that is a latter discussion.

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

following

Lynn N thanked njmomma
  • User
    4 years ago

Since you’re dining room is so close to your living room I would consider purchasing a rug that fits both areas. Is your room 12x18? Those windows look oddly familiar. My daughters window are the same. Did you want a certain style in rugs?

Lynn N thanked User
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

I was thinking the same as tedbixby. It looks as though by the time you purchase something large enough for the living area, you wouldn't be able to get the right size for the dining table, which should measure 4 feet wider and longer than the table top. What is your budget and what are the measurements of your sofa?

Lynn N thanked katinparadise
  • J J
    4 years ago

following

Lynn N thanked J J
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Both of your rugs are too small. Use painter's tape to try out what you might do. I like rugs to slip under the front 1/3 of sofas so they really ground the room. Front feet only on it looks skimpy to me. You want the rug to extend past the ends of the sofa by at least a foot or more. At the dining table, go around and sit in each chair, leaving them pulled out when you move to the next one. If any of them are close to "falling off" the rug, then you need to go bigger. Generally, you need 36-42" of chair scoot and sit space, so consider that added to the size of the table top. If no one ever sits at the ends of the table, you can do whatever feels right when you tape out a faux rug.

Lynn N thanked decoenthusiaste
  • jck910
    4 years ago

Both areas need larger rugs.

Lynn N thanked jck910
  • Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Both of the current rugs are 5 x 8. I used to have a smaller dining table. The current one is a tad to big but I want to make it work for a bit. Thinking of maybe taking the buffet out. It is one long room but it has a spiral staircase that juts out the middle. I wanted to get away from reds in the carpet and make the room less heavy with all the dark wood, so I guess a monochromatic with grays/creams and taupes? The couch is 9ft x 10ft and the tables is 86" x 42" (Benchwright table from Pottery Barn). I think it would be tough to fit a rug bigger than 7 x 8 under the dining table. I really prefer two rugs so it has the appearance of two separate spaces. I am flexible on budget. Added some pictures. The small kitchen is east of the dining room.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

When I look at your original photos I don't see a separate dining and living area because of the rugs. What I see is a rug under the table that is making the overall space look smaller. If you haven't you might consider removing it and see how you feel about it.

To pull off a successful mono color scheme, it means a lot of different textures. Quite frankly, your sofa pillows are pretty uninspiring and your dark brown ottoman is just another brown flat surface that is being repeated by the dining table. If you want to get away from that heavy feeling, a glass coffee table would be airier and give you another texture which would be reflection. You've got great pieces and have done a great job but I think with a few tweaks you can take it to another level. I'm only mentioning this as I think just adding a grey/cream rug isn't going to make the impact that I think you are wanting?

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

For summer, you might try doing without the rugs. The cool bare floors will be nice, and you can take your time shopping.

Lynn N thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

These might not be what you expected, but IMO there are lots of options here that will make your room more interesting. Additionally, I would recommend no rug under the dining table or at the very most a natural fibre rug.

Also I don't know anyone that purchases pillows BEFORE the area rug, so I have adjusted the pillows as needed.

You can play it safe with gray and white, or you can be a bit more exciting. All of these rugs, most on sale, are from RugsUSA.com

Lynn N thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • AC LB
    4 years ago

I love your style! I love the rugs that are shown in the last post! In addition to a new rug, I would remove the knickknacks above the window and the shelves and replace it with curtain rods and linen curtains.

Lynn N thanked AC LB
  • User
    4 years ago

Which side of your sectional is 10’? You might not able to do two rugs to separate the spaces if the 10’ is running along the buffet side.

Lynn N thanked User
  • Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback! Any suggestions on the glass coffee table? I keep thinking about the one I had in the 80's! I purchased the pillows not thinking I would need a rug change and then it became obvious. I am a rookie for sure! I like the second rug in the pictures! The windows have plantation shutters which didn't show in the pics well - should I still add curtains? The buffet side is the 10' side of the couch.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Are you thinking of the glass coffee table you have in the '80's because you liked it or because you feel they are so '80's? LOL.

I'd suggest we find the rug and then the coffee table and then we can revisit your pillows- and who knows maybe they will be ok after we figure out the rug. Have you decided on what size of rug?

Because of the sectional sitting in front of the windows you will have enough visual interest going on once we do some tweaking so IMO no need to add another layer to the windows as I think the plantation shutters go well with the rest of your furnishings and add enough window interest.

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

You mentioned Pottery Barn. Was there some rugs that interested you? If so, can you show us which ones.

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

I don't have the internet smarts like Bev to insert this rug into your room and post it but I did a sketch in my Idea Book under Lynn N if you want to get an idea of how it looks. I was looking for multi-color because I thought it would work better with your sofa color which tends to lean in quite a few directions. This one I found on PB.

Your sofa photo

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Ted, I just the device on RugsUSA.com that puts it into the room. No magic or skill

If they are not keeping the sofa long term, why would you spend $1,399 on an area rug. I was trying to keep the rug under $399. There's little chance the new rug is going to work with a new sofa.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing your "secret."

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • bowser24
    4 years ago

With that rug you can bring out blues and oranges with lots of different textures. Then get a new coffee table. Perfect!

Lynn N thanked bowser24
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

Thank you Celerygirl :) Now do you have a favorite glass coffee table you can pop in to it? Of some jazzy pillows if you feel like it. After all, it takes a village..

Lynn N thanked tedbixby
  • bowser24
    4 years ago

I meant for the pillows of course. See if you can return the ones you bought or if not use them in a different room.

Lynn N thanked bowser24
  • Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all your help village! I like the rug you picked tedbixby but agree that it is pricey if things change. Are the pillows not going to work? Are they too bland? I have to admit I was proud of them. I just tried this coral pillow I have on the gray chair. What do you think?

• Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just hadn't thought about glass tables since the 80's. For usage of room, it is currently where my son plays xbox. The ottoman was there for his friends to sit on when they were younger and was super cheap so I am fine parting with it. Would a glass table so be a good choice if the kids are eating and drinking in there?

• PRO
    Lynn N thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

For a casual sectional like yours, people want to put there feet up. Why not consider this trunk table? Casual enough to withstand fee and yet lifts up to table height for games, food in front of the TV etc.

• Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the idea of a trunk. Where did you find that Beverly?

• Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, I really like the third rug down on the rugs use choices. I can't find it on their site. Do you remember what it was called?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Visual with trunk

• PRO
    4 years ago

I am not sure I like with a lot of pattern. Something less pattern would be better,

• PRO
    4 years ago

The third Beverly's rug would look good.

• Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree about it being too much with all the patterns.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Lots of good suggestions here. As the sofa has seen better days I feel Beverly’s original suggestion of a not so pricey rug is a good one. It seems the more new items added only makes the sofa look more slouchy! I wouldn’t invest too much$$$ unless you have a specific design plan for the future.

Lynn N thanked lynartist
  • Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted to update on what I have done so far. New neutral rug and removed the rug from the dining. I also switched out the ottoman for a lighter brown one I have. I included a picture of how the dining room table connects to our small kitchen (sorry if it is messy). Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Lynn N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My plan is to redo the kitchen next year with less loud marble. Whiter and brighter - maybe Carrara marble.