Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_girl_at_heart

New build/log home: Exterior light/doorbell placement

country_girl_at_heart
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are in the thick of a log home build, and needing to mark our exterior light placement and 2 doorbell, 2 outdoor water spigot placement this weekend.

Ive been researching lights for what seems like months, and think I have them picked out (but am open to suggestions-will attach pics).

All exterior door heights =80"

Big Garage door height=96"

Here are some of my questions along with pics/descriptions (& questions)...nothings organized in my brain--so apologies in advanced...

*Im struggling to find the larger sized lanterns in what I have in mind (black, LED, not somesort of frosted)...Ive read that the fixture's height should be 25-30% of the height of the door...most of what Im finding is 12" which seems too small?

*Posting pics of all sides of the house w/ blue tape for marks...I know there's measurement recommendations for heights of lights...but in just eyeballing it for what looks good, at this point too high, too low, wrong place...am open to feedback. I also know I need to decide on fixtures to measure-but we're a bit limited on where placement can occur/ go up or down due to the logs themselves. Again, we marked each potential placement with blue tape and open to suggestions.

*Not wanting to light up the neighborhood...but do want lighting outside for security purposes...we were broken into while asleep when I was in highschool..and that changed everything for me...my husband has a hard time understanding that sense/fear that someone could actually brake in...Im all for doing what we can to minimize risks.

-Any recommendations for what lumens/2700k?? Wanting LED lights for outside dusk to dawn... not too super bright for our neighbors, but bright enough to help not have too many shadows around doors/windows?

-We also have two very large egress windows under the deck. Of course I mentioned lighting those up...lol...husband disagreed.

-Seems like that might be a point of entry for someone not wanting to be seen?

-Any suggestions for making that area unwelcome? (maybe I'll transplant some nettles under the deck..haha)

I'll post pics and my rough draft of lighting plan for OS...appreciate any suggestions/constructive criticism of
anything at all...really open to help :)

West side: We plan use 4 of the the same style Coach wall mount: on 3 way switch & dusk to dawn timer, located to the L & R of garage; as well, to the L & R wide of the prow (facing W). 1 up/down sconce over the garage door; and two up/down sconces part way up the prow on the logs (to the L/R of the vertical logs). The sconces will all be on a 3 way as well & on dusk to dawn timer. 1 Can light each above far left and far right sliding glass doors (master bedroom and guest room).

Id wanted the outdoor sconces on a 3 way switch, and honeywell dawn to dusk timer, and a dimmer...but found out thats not possible without going super high tech and 'smart home'ish-which we're trying to avoid. (any thoughts? Id love to be able to dime thes up/down sconces).

So, I settled for 3 way dusk to dawn which we'll program for a shorter time ...prob shut off at 10p, and no dimmer (I hope its not too bright out there!).

Left to right: 1 can in soffet over glass door (master bedroom), 2 coach lights to far L/R of prow, 2 up/down sconces on each side of prow (narrow), 1 can above far right glass door (guest bedroom), 2 coach lights: L/R side of garage, 1 up/down sconce above garage door.

(coach lights L/R of garage door, 1 sconce above garage door, far left lower mark is for water spigot, mark between coach and spigot mark is for code box for garage door opener)? recommended height?

-Water spigot marked to L of garage (lower mark)-is there a standard height? We just picked what seemed good.

can see the mark on the prow for the up/down sconce, and over the garage for up/down sconce....as well, can see the mark in between (outer edge of prow) for coach light, as well as coach light mark on R of garage (cant see the one on the left of garage b/c trucks in the way).

_________

South side (faces the road) :

A smaller dual-flood light with motion sensor on S side of house, currently planned to go on 1st log below the soffett- a path will run along this side to the East side where the porch/'front' door is located. (Its one of those houses where the front door feels like its in the 'back'; the prow faces West and toward the water, the front door faces East and toward our neighbors. The main driveway leads up to the garage on the West side.

1 dual floodlight with motion sensor, see mark on first log down above window. Placement? will shine on path along house to get from driveway to the 'front' door (around and to the left). Placement?

______

North side:

We'll put one up/down sconce centered on the N side of the house (this side faces some woods), on a dusk to dawn sensor on the same 3 way with previously mentioned Coach lights (due to this dusk to dawn timer will actually go on/off with the sun--the other mentioned 'sconce lights' will be on a manually set timer-not on as long).

We'd planned for a dual flood light with motion sensor up in far west corner of the North facing side... targeting the stairs/side of house--but in trying to place it tonight...we decided we didnt need it. (I still think we do--it was a moment of weakness that I agreed with my husband on that..I like the idea of motion light over the stairs. TBD.

Do you think I need a dual floodlight sensor on the upper NW part of the North side of the house, pointing over the stairs (I think so, my husband doesnt..he said there are other options to light up the stairs)? It is quite close to our bedroom window...but Im unsure if I should let go of wanting a sensor light there for safety....or push to still have it.

up/down sconce centered (can see it just below the upper scaffolding.) This is where we'd planned to put dual floodlight with motion sensor on right side of house..above the last stacked log, pointed toward both path on side of house, and stairs. Im thinking we need it, my husband says we dont and that its ugly (it a smaller light-but I agree...its not great looking). Is there another way to light up the stairs on a sensor?

different angle of N facing side....the up/down sconce will be on a dusk to dawn timer....and Im thinking we'll need a motion sensor for the stairs (* this side of the house is quite dark)

________

East side: (the front--but faces what feels like the 'back'...1 barn light over the man door/garage door; in soffet: 1 can light over laundry rm window, and 1 can lt over master bathroom window. Porch: 2 cans in soffet, 1 coach light to side of 'front' door, doorbell under.

left to right: garage man door with barn light (marked in blue tape); laundry window (can in soffet above window), 'front' porch with 2 cans, front door-Coach light to right of door, door bell marked-is it in a good place? Far right: coach light in soffit over master bathroom window.

Garage: barn light above door..whats optimal height of barn light over garage man door? placement? (can sort of see the blue tape above the door3 or 4 logs up from door)

Front door-placement of door bell under coach light (coach light surface has already been smoothed out by GC with his chainsaw...you can kind of see it in this pic)? For doorbell..we guessed on height (marked with blue tape)...and centered under the light above it??

Comments (22)

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the lights I like...thinking I need to find a different coach light--it looks like this one is brown, and Im needing black. Darn. But I love that style, and its LED and frosted/not clear. Any suggestions (prob could go larger too)?

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A little embarrasing but it might help the above make sense...please disregard the coffee mug stains :) - these are my rough draft versions of outdoor lighting (with lots of white out that seems to show up great in the pics) :) I did forget to mention above that there are 2 (this shows 3 but we switched to 2) cans in the porch soffit as well).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

West

East

North

South

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

First, you have realized the basis for your fear. It is real and those who have never faced this danger have no idea how life changing it is. I just try to be so happy that they have never been in danger. Get a great wireless, monitored alarm system. You can sleep peacefully knowing that any opening of a door or window will be instantly dialed to a live person who will call sheriff. In addition, when you leave home, set your alarm, knowing when you come home your property is still secure. There are systems that can be set and turned off from your cell phone so you can check your house even while you are on vacation. An alarm system is not the place to save money, so get the best.

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Motion detector lights at our previous house didn’t always work as I had hoped. Storms, high winds, animals, power outages... sometimes lights were out of proper alignment. For quite a long tome, some animal tripped the light right outside my bedroom- at ALL hours. We finally turned it off. Timers don’t work well following power outages so if we were gone, we couldn’t be sure the lights were on or off. Our current house had a farm in the yard. High on a pole, the entire yard is bathed in light. We have one yard light on the cattycorner side of the yard and I can see everything around the house. Both of these come on at dusk and go off at dawn. Both of those lights and the monitored alarm enable me to sleep soundly. Now if only I could convince my cat to sleep late!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Consider installing LED lights under the front edge of treads on stairs.

• Marigold
    4 years ago

We live in the country, and had the same trouble as remodeling1840 did with motion detectors. Another security feature you may want to look into, if you are a bit secluded is a driveway alarm.

We bought a wireless one for under $100 and it is perfect. Wildlife don't set it off, but if a car or bike come in, we know. A person walking in wouldn't set it off, but if they are there to rob you, presumably they have a vehicle.

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Remodeling1840...Thank you for your wisdom...so true, after being broken into, it changed everything. And great advice on an alarm system - we too have wildlife & what you described is what I was thinking might happen-with dear, cougers, sometimes bears...we've been considering an alarm system--and in thinking about it more-the peace of mind it will bring will be worth the cost.

Laughing about your cat - so true-they are early risers & feel everyone else should be too!!

Helen-I like that idea of an alarm letting us know when someone wnters our driveway-that would be such a help--and the price is right! Im adding that to my list-thank you!

Decoenthuiaste...LED lights under the front of the stair treads..that would solve my problem there...its so dark out & & Id like it not just for security, but I worry that someone (lol..namely me) may tumble down in the dark if there's not some sore of light there...we have a dog & no fenced area (yet) so I anticipate using those stepd often while Im half awake to take her outside.Thanks for the suggestion!

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Suz, we also put hose bibs on all four sides of the house we built, having dragged those heavy, 100 foot hoses all around previous houses that only had one or two locations.

• PRO
    The House Designers
    4 years ago

For a few quick tips on exterior lighting, take a look at this article! We go over all the benefits of different exterior lighting options and the security/aesthetics they offer. We also have a wide variety of other informative pieces, covering every aspect of the home building process.

Spencer Crosby, Project Manager

The House Designers

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, this is great...thanks so much Spencer!

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Remodeling1840...ahh...that is such a great idea! Yes, not fun dragging hoses around...Thank you!

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Helen...do you happen to remember the name of the wireless driveway alarm you used? In my hours of research for 'everything' house related..it would sure save me some time on the computer...lol. If not, no worries...I'll come up with something :)

• Marigold
    4 years ago

This is the one we have

Mighty Mule FM231 Wireless Driveway Alarm
    We have a few acres, and actually ended up buying 2- one so we can hear cars coming from in the house, and the other sensor is in my husband's workshop. It works beautifully.

country_girl_at_heart thanked Marigold
  • country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh Helen...thank you. I love this idea...its one of those things I didn't know to look for but will work perfectly for us...appreciate the info!

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

Ditto the advice to place hose connections on all four sides of your home...if not more! Seriously. Insulated/weatherproof. Beautiful home!

country_girl_at_heart thanked ptreckel
  • chicagoans
    4 years ago

What a great house! I love the look of your west elevation. Have you considered peak lighting to highlight the shape of the prow? (Admittedly, changing the bulbs would be hard, so you'd want long-lasting LED bulbs.)

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

chicagoans...thank you so much! And those pictures are great!

I just realized the first picture I uploaded doesn't show the tape marks for the lights on the prow...oi :) The whole reason I posted....but, we have planned two up/down sconce type lights, about half way up, on the narrow vertical logs just to the left/right of the 3 vertical prow logs...so they'll shine up to the prow soffit (that we labored over staining/sealing for days..ha. We also plan for one above the garage door. Labor of love.) And LED sounds like the way to go cause they'll be up so high. Sure hope they last as long as they say they do :)

The question I've been pondering is should we do the 'up/down', or just the 'up' lights? Im overly sensitive about not wanting to light it up too much out there..we'll have coach lights on the outsides of the middle two sliding doors on either end of the prow..matching the height of the garage door coach lights (on both sides of the garage door), at least that's the plan for now....wish I could put the sconces on a dimmer, but they're going to be on a timer, so the electrician said a dimmer wouldn't work unless we do a smart switch type thing-and we're all about not going the smart route--lol.

Dumb lights, dumb switches...we embrace the dumb & thats how we roll...after my husbands flip phone finally died, not too long ago, he walked into the store and asked for the dumbest smart phone they had, lol. The poor young man who was trying to upsell him on the highest of high tech phones, didn't know what to say.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

We also have the Guardline sensors for our driveway (actually have two sensors and purchased the one for long driveways.... 1/4 mile reach). Love them! We have a u-shaped drive so I know which way someone is entering or leaving the driveway (you can set each sensor with different sounding chimes).

Regarding not being able to find clear glass fixtures for your exterior lanterns. If you find fixtures you love and they only have frosted glass, don’t rule them out just because of the glass. I had the same problem when choosing my own fixtures but since 95% of them have removable glass, I just replaced them with clear glass from a local glass/mirror place. It was very inexpensive. I brought the frosted panels to the glass place so they could make the exact size for replacement.

• chicagoans
    4 years ago

I did see the markings for the sconces, which I think would look great but highlight the center of the prow rather than the peak, depending on how bright they are. Just a different look than what I was thinking with the peak, and I'm sure the sconces will be great!

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

chicagoans...ohhhhh...thanks for clarifying...I missed where that upper light was right at top of the prow--now I see it-I do love how it lights up the peak of the prow. I even see in the far left pic that there are also two up/down lights on either side of the prow, sort of like what we have been thinking, but they don't look like their doing much (or maybe they're not turned on..I can't tell)....hmmmm....you're making me think :) And, for sure....that top prow light would prob. be one that definitely would need to be the long life LED :)

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

nidnay-thats a great idea to put them on both sides of the u shaped driveway...we will have one of those two (needing to make it happen next time the excavator is out here) and would be helpful to know what's going on down there...and I wouldn't have thought of the glass idea-I think I wrote it backwards...we're actually looking for something thats more frosted glass than clear (for some reason, my eyes get bothered by the clear) but Im thinking the glass people could do that too...Ive come across several coaches that I've liked, but the glass wasn't right--thats super helpful. Oh man, back to shopping & see if I can find them again :)