Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_schaffner

Help me decide what to do with wood trim!

Jen S
4 years ago

Hi, all. This is my first post and I am so excited to get some help with our mountain house renovation. We originally assumed we would paint all of the wood trim in this house white. The walls are already white and we are keeping them that way. This would also involve painting all of the doors, which are slab/flat doors with no panels or molding on them. We are planning to change the door hardware to black.

Today I was speaking with a decorator friend about painting the trim and she advised against it. She thinks wood trim like this is ok in a mountain house and might tie together the rustic log beam in the house, rustic log railing on the deck and wood stained cabinets, which we have no plans to replace right now.

What do you all think? Is white always the way to go, or is this a case where the wood trim might be ok as is? We are already replacing the flooring with vinyl planks (that look like wood), doing new carpet, countertops and remodeling the fireplace and some bathrooms, so there is already quite a bit going on. Should we make those changes and see how it looks? Paint some of the trim but not all of it? Just replace the flat/slab doors?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

-Jen

Living room:

Living room looking into dining area:

Kitchen (with log post on right side). Keeping cabinets as is, but we're doing white quartz countertops

Comments (14)

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

What a great view! I wouldn't paint the trim, but if there were my house, I'd replace all the carpet with actual hardwood, not vinyl. (matches the other real wood, lasts forever, and is better for the environment).

Jen S thanked girl_wonder
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Spectacular view! I don't find the wood to be overwhelming. I vote for keeping it as well. It fits the style of the house and its location.

Jen S thanked katinparadise
  • Kerry Blossom
    4 years ago

we had similar trim and painted it white but left the windows white. left the slab doors wood and black hardware. I much prefer the look.

Jen S thanked Kerry Blossom
  • Robbin Capers
    4 years ago

It's beautiful. I'd leave it.

Jen S thanked Robbin Capers
  • Jen S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@girl_wonder I completely understand where you're coming from, but I am really interested in a waterproof product. In a ski house and with a dog and kids, I feel like the maintenance of hardwood is too much for us (the wood floors in our primary residence are trashed).

Kerry, did you paint the windows or leave the wood stain? I would love to see a before/after if you have one!

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I would leave the wood too. Its a very nice looking house.

Jen S thanked cat_ky
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

What are the floors under the carpet? Concrete? Have it stained and polished and then add washable area rugs (www.ruggable.com.) Keep the trim as is.

Jen S thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

I think you could go either way. The wood does fit a mountain home, and if you have a lot of other projects this may be one that you put on the backburner for now. But you also have a stunning view and if you're keeping the walls white, white trim would help it disappear so you can solely focus on the view.

Jen S thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

I’m another vote for painting the wood trim. Keep the cabinets natural but paint all the skinny trim and probably the doors as well. Carpet seems like the last choice in the mountains for the same reasons you dismiss hardwood. This seems like the ideal place for lvp.

Jen S thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Kerry Blossom
    4 years ago

this is from my bedroom.. but same idea

my house · More Info

my house · More Info

Jen S thanked Kerry Blossom
  • Ellen Tracy
    4 years ago

Don’t paint, it’s maintenance free that way.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

As others mentioned, Keep the wood, it is in keeping with the rest of the home. You can change other things to show your personality.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No vinyl plank wood look next to real wood. If you want vinyl that do a floor that looks like slate or some othe rstone but not wood look and your dceorator friend should have told you that. As for thr trim I love white trim but not in that space.

Jen S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting