Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peri_mcconville

Breakfast Nook Painting Dilemma

Peri McConville
4 years ago

I’m getting a booth built to fit into my breakfast nook and want to do something fun. I was leaning towards wallpaper, but I have rounded coved ceilings that would make it really difficult. I’m now thinking about painting it a darker color (navy or green) to contrast with the white booth and marble, then hanging gold frames.

I’m having trouble deciding where to stop the paint because a support beam runs across separating the kitchen (see picture). Do I just cut it off at the beam or paint the entire wall? I think the rounded corners might be difficult to figure out where to stop. Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments (14)

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

A family member has a coved ceiling done this way.

Only in the living room. Other rooms have ceiling and walls all one color.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

I LOVE your idea of a Fun & Dramatic Wallpaper. Here is how you can do it.

Create a Faux Crown Molding with Paint

1. Tape the walls horizontally .... just before where the cove starts to flare (this will be the bottom of the faux molding) - the flattest top wall section

2. Paint the Faux Crown above the tape, white.

3. Wallpaper the rest of the lower wall areas, meeting the bottom of the painted crown

4. Finish by adding a trim molding (any style) on top of the wallpaper edge, near the painted crown

5. Paint the ceiling center insert. Choose a coordinating color from the wallpaper

Custom Decorative Moldings · More Info

Newton Decorative Molding · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Of course the question becomes where to you stop the crown molding or do you continue it throughout the house?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Paint the ceiling a fun color and the walls another color. My ceilings are not coved but I painted my ceilings a color. For example, here's my hallway.

And here's the bedroom upstairs:

Or wallpaper the ceiling with a lincrusta wallpaper.

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Cute space! It looks to me like there is a little lip or edge on the ceiling where the coving stops. I would paint right to there - it would give it a trayed ceiling sort of look. I would get the Roman shade made out of bamboo or woven woods. We ordered some from select blinds are were very happy with their quality/price. Get the privacy liner though, unless you want to be able to see through.

• Peri McConville
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! The top of the booth is going to be upholstered with a cognac faux leather (inspiration below)

I was planning on painting up to the lip of the cove trim. My question was whether I should cut off the paint where the beam begins or if that would look strange (see pictures below). Sorry if it wasn’t clear!

• Peri McConville
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! The top of the booth is going to be upholstered with a cognac faux leather (inspiration below)

I was planning on painting up to the lip of the cove trim. My question was whether I should cut off the paint where the beam begins or if that would look strange (see pictures below). Sorry if it wasn’t clear!

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Ahhh... I sort of understand now. Are you planning to paint only the wall with the blue line or all three walls in the space? I wouldn't stop the paint as you suggested unless you do some kind of fun painting technique like this... but without knowing where that wall goes, it's hard to give advice on where to stop. I think a nice color on the wall could really frame the kitchen area. Or you could paint just the wall with the window which would be an obvious accent wall.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

I would paint all the way up the curve to the ceiling molding & use the same color for the center section of the ceiling.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Don't stop part part down the wall as indicated in your photo. Either continue the paint to the end of that wall, or just paint the back wall around the window. Can you post photos of what happens to each of the walls as they continue on?

• Peri McConville
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s an update. I did end up cutting it off at that section as the wall connected to the beam runs through the whole house and there’s no natural stopping point with the rounded corners. Needs to be touched up and decorated still, but I love it. The booth goes in next weekend!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Cute. You decided no banquette?

• Peri McConville
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s getting put in next week!