Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowdavis

what Color to paint credenza in dark room

Rosemary Davis
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I live in a forest and need to lighten up this room. Despite 2 large windows, it is dark. I am thinking of painting the credenza the tv is on and would welcome any suggest as to what color to use.

Comments (10)

• User
    4 years ago

You have to post your photo(s) in the Comments section. At first, the photo will appear sort of "grayed out". Wait until it shows in full color before you hit Submit. This forum is not very user-friendly when it comes to posting photos, unfortunately, and can be very hit-or-miss. Good luck.

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. Now I see a place for photo. So, here it goes. I live in a forest and my room is dark. I am thinking of painting the credenza the tv is on. What color shall I paint it. I want to lighten it up but also could add some color

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I don't think the paint color for the credenza is where you should be looking to add color. I looks like right now the only color you have is the throw pillows in brick red or burgundy. The credenza is big enough that whatever color you paint it is going to have a huge impact, and lighter colors--say if you painted it light green--are probably not going mesh well with you existing decor. So unless you want to completely overhaul the decor in the room, I think it is better to keep the credenza neutral and add color in other ways.

I would probably paint it white or off-white, which would tie in with the rug, the chair on the left, and the mats for artwork. Change out the throw pillows for a lighter accent color of your choice, and repeat that color elsewhere in the room. Maybe a table lamp next to the sofa?

Your rug seems small for the space, but seems to be doing a good job of brightening up the space. Would you consider replacing it with a larger rug in similar colors?

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx, that is off white is exactly what I had planned, but needed another opinion. You ideas on color are right on.

• blubird
    4 years ago

It would be a good idea to add some table lighting, as I see none. I see what appears to be a hanging fixture reflected in the mirror, but that fixture doesn’t appear to add any lighting to the living room.

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx, I do have 2 table lights and a floor lamp on the side of the room you can’t see, but I do need some on the side of the couch that you see in photo. Thx for reminding me. I will look for one soon.

• User
    4 years ago

I wouldn't paint the console. Your rug, although small, is bringing light to the room. Have you considered a larger rug?

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is my preference, but we are clean freaks and worried about constant foot traffic on a larger rug. As it is, we have no foot traffic on it. We are considering it.

• User
    4 years ago

Our (light colored) large area rug stays clean because we don't wear shoes in the house :)

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We rarely wear shoes in the house. We have hardwood everywhere. My husband is fanatic about clean floors, and cleans them almost daily. But still, dust filters in. Maybe if I could find an very light rug with a darker border that I like, it might work. Right now, the edges of the 3 month old rug that we do not walk on seem to be a bit soiled because of dust.