Are these valances still stylish?

Comments (53)

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Got it! Yes that’s my next cleanse. I’ll add real fruit
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The window AC is the stumbling block here. Is there an thought to getting full house AC?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Since you already have the blinds and if they are in good shape why not just a simplr faux roman shade in colors you like and IMO those AC units are a god send when it is hot. All the fake whatever needs to go a nice bowl of fruit you actually eat and IMO those stools should go also and get some nice simple ones that work with the dining chairs maye even something in black wood with a low back that slides under the counter

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know the ac is an eye sore and unfortunately not able to change this out in the home (this year). We are considering it, just can’t afford right now. It does the job but definitely an eyesore.

I can look into Roman shades for sure!! Sounds perfect and can go with the blinds?

The stools can go as well but do want something with a back for many reasons.

Now onto paint!! Can you suggest a paint color in here that would blend into my living room which is now Manchester tan? We don’t want to carry the same color into the kitchen, and will will remove all greenery!!!

• iheartsix
    4 years ago

Hi Colleen, seeing more pics of your space I would suggest leaving the valence as is. A new change would possibly draw more attention to the ac unit. On top of that, roman shades can run expensive - I’d personally wait til you address doing something different with the ac unit. I would however remove the greenery. You have a beautiful space :)

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

I've never been a valance fan; but if you keep it, I think it would look better right at the ceiling line.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

A valence might not be bad, but try a much lighter color. I suspect it's the dark color you have that makes it look so out of place.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I like the color you have now, personally. It's warm and creamy and provides the right amount of contrast to the white trim/blinds. It looks nice with the terra cotta tile and the warm wood floors. I love that wall color.

It's a lovely space and looks very comfortable. Keep the window air conditioner!! I'd want to be comfortable while I'm moving furniture around, painting, and tidying. I'm sure it's not in use and in that window 365. At least it's white like the blinds. You can remove it when Architectural Digest comes to photograph.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Another vote for a Roman shade. I think you'd be much happier with the look. When we bought our house several windows had "balloon" valances. Some rooms even had "coordinating" wallpaper...ugh. All gone now!

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>You ladies are awesome!

Mrs S I love your thoughts
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Feels very 80s/Laura Ashley to me. Valances are OK if they're more simple, e.g. a cornice type or a box pleat type. Balloon shade valances are rarely done anymore. See below for inspiration:

Bathroom Box Pleat Valance · More Info

Lincoln Park Family Home · More Info

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

I like patterned roman shades.

• teresale2013
    4 years ago

I agree with those who suggested changing the valance to a more subtle fabric. Also the second and third pictures of your space are very nice!! Especially the second one. You have a lot to work with. I think the yellow wall color does not look good with the kitchen floor. But I am drawing a blank about a replacement color.

• Connie Stackhouse
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I too would suggest a simpler tailored valance. Your area is already a bit busy, with the patterned granite, curves on the DR chairs, and swirls on the chairs by the countertop. IMO, a valance does go with the homey feel of your room, but it just needs to be simplified. Find a fabric you like, and make one that is 1 1/2 times the width of your window or LESS. Nothing pouffy. Use a simple, narrow rod in black with tailored finials on either side.

• kathleen MK
    4 years ago

Love Mrs S s wit.
    I think raising the Valance to ceiling would give more light and make window seem larger. I happen to like the Laura Ashley look even if does say 1980s. Changing to a light solid could be a cheap easy update. But if you like it and it works with the room design don't change just because someone says it is dated. Nothing will scream 20teens like grey modern farmhouse. yes our 80s house had plant ledges that were only practical for silk plants too. So replace those with the sign of the times, you know the one that says Farm House ( though you live in the city) or tells you to Eat or reminds you are Family. Seriously change decor for the fun of updating.
    No need to change paint if in good condition. Why do you not want to continue one cilor through the adjoining spaces. Two colors will look choppy.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank You!! The paint does need to be changed desperately so wanting to find something slightly different from Manchester tan even if it’s a slight shade off. Someone mentioned “BM Feather-down” could be an option for kitchen color. Still checking into it. So the ledges to the left and right of the slider...what would look good here if I remove the greenery?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Maybe leave the ledges empty for a few days/weeks and see how it feels? If it looks/feels too barren, maybe pottery? But having to dust anything up there is a chore

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Will give that a try..

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I am pairing the kitchen soon and thinking this is the time to change out the look for something trending.

There's your problem. You're trying to follow a trend. Do what you like and makes you happy and what works with the style of the house and it will outlive whatever is trending.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Paints that work well with Manchester Tan.

All of these work together, I love the vapor trails.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love basil the most...my concern is there is no separation between the rooms. I think we just decided to continue with the same color throughout the kitchen and living room. See the pic of how the rooms blend.

• Prim Rose
    4 years ago

The valances are too dark. And easily replaced and cheaply.

Consider Ben Moore's Simply White for the kitchen. It will seque well into the living area's color. It has a soft white with slight yellow undertones.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Primrose, how do you suggest changing them out cheaply?

• Prim Rose
    4 years ago

Lowes has valances. I could see blue ticking stripe on white.

• partim
    4 years ago

I would remove the valances and not replace them with anything. A clean and fresh look.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you ladies!!! The paint will be complete today and have a clean slate. What pattern and colors do you recommend for kitchen treatments? My home is a small cape.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More photos of the kitchen itself. I need stools that will slide under island and see I desperately need to do something with the back of that island. It looks awful. Funny how you notice things when everything is cleaned out! Any suggestions on stools?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

You can add corner trim pieces to the damaged corners of the island. Maybe paint all of it to match the dining set.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They may look damaged but they aren’t :). I was noting the back of the island faded to my surprise.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

With your style they are fine although shades would be better. Do get rid of the fake plants and fruit.

• Deb Zilch
    4 years ago

saw vaulted ceiling and window, and thought the valance softened, fit with style, the counter....I'd rather replace gold-touched stools. Your mercury lamp's style -- transitional style for stools too.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Deb are you suggesting no mercury lamp style? Not sure of your suggestion.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Your home is very lovely! Maybe some simple black ladder back bar stools will work nicely with your chairs.

• 2pups4me
    4 years ago

My kitchen chairs are similar to yours. I have these stools at my counter.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Save the fabric and have faux Roman shades made.

What isn’t stylish is the faux greens and plastic fruit.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Judy now there’s a great thought!!! I can do that?? I will research for sure! Yes the greens are gone! What to put on the ledge now???

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Beautiful, just beautiful. You don't need anything on the ledge.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I like the windows without the valances. It matches the door. Do they make grids to go in those windows?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Looks so much better. Leave the ledge bare.

• eelh
    4 years ago

Like the bare ledge. Looks architectural--not too busy

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Why not salvage a fabric you obviously love?

• Storybook Home
    4 years ago

I enjoy a nice valance personally, if it fits the style of the interior.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There’s a tremendous ledge on the other side that needs decorating! I’ll get a pic and send out for advice.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I also like the bare ledge. The bar stools and chairs pictured from grapefruit and 2pups4me are really nice. Am guessing Pottery Barn as one source.

• partim
    4 years ago

My mother untied the strings on her balloon valances which turned them into ruffled valances. If you like the fabric, that is a simple option to update them. If they're too long, you can move the rod higher (the ruffles will hide the old holes) or hem them shorter.

• Colleen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So this process is ongoing! I painted the kitchen and living room Manchester tan. Selected a new fabric for the kitchen to do box pleat style valances. Costly but think it will create the clean lines. I like the stationary Roman shades look but would be too costly. Just concerned box pleat is not enough of a flair I want. Could be I’m just stuck in the 80s pouty look. What do you think of this fabric (I love) and box pleat valances and fabric???

• partim
    4 years ago

With box pleats on that fabric, you may lose some of the swirly look of the print.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You could do an insert on each end in the pleat, with the darkest color of your fabric, if you're looking for a little more interest. The box pleat valance will be a big improvement over what you had.

Brookstone Estates - The Holt · More Info