Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmc812

white vs off white curtains?

jmc812
4 years ago

I took a quick photo without thinking I would post on here, so please excuse the mess! I put up off white curtains initially and thought that it blended in too much with the trim (SW Alabaster) and everything else so I got white black out curtains and they stand out. I don’t know which one looks better?

In the rest of the house, I have white linen curtains that I love, and they don’t look so contrasting since they aren’t completely opaque. But, because the room that I am struggling with is a nursery and in need of black out curtains, I am stuck with this dilemma. Thoughts, please? Also attaching another shot of curtains in the breakfast nook for comparison.

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

First of all, I wouldn't have floor length drapes in the nursery. When baby starts to crawl/play in the room, he’ll be pulling on the drapes and it could cause a dangerous situation. I’d put up short blackout curtains or a blackout shade with a valance.

• jmc812
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good thought, but my daughter is actually almost two! She has a pretty high reach, but actually doesn’t care at all about the curtains.

• AWINMH
    4 years ago

maybe a print? or stripes?

• jmc812
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would really rather keep with a simple, single color drape.

For now, she’s not able to reach the cords but she’s definitely messed with some others in the house so I’ll need to look into other blinds or what we can do about them.

Here is the off white vs white during the day.

• k9arlene
    4 years ago

If the blinds are white, I'd use white curtains. If the blinds are off white, I'd use the off white.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Which is closer to the color of the trim and blinds? Something with a little detail or a very pale color would look less stark.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago

I like the look of curtains as well but what about doing some cordless Roman shades? I have one in my youngest's room and it's really convenient, you could always then later sheers over it like the rest of the house. my wall and trim color are Alabaster and the fabric on the Roman shade is white.

• jmc812
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Daytime shot. Not sure why it didn’t show earlier

• megs1030
    4 years ago

In the daytime picture, I prefer the white (the ones on the right). The off-white look yellow.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago

I think white is fine, it matches the crib too.

• jmc812
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I have a few things to consider. As far as other types of window coverings, I just put this curtain bar up and want to make use of it since I just put holes in the wall.

I do think I like the white, and wanted to keep things semi consistent throughout the house, but pale pink curtains look nice, too!

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Regarding consistency- of course you want that in the main living areas.

I've always heard that a room with a door that closes (bedroom) does not need to match other parts of the house. In a few more years, your daughter will be voicing her opinion as to her room color, etc... My daughter's BR has gone from pink to green to bumble bee yellow :)

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I prefer the white.