Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenernut

Oneto home saffron

garden nut z9b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Had to share a picture of the growth on Oneto home saffron. Planted it this season and it was still quite small in it’s gallon pot. All I've done is occasionally fertilise it and it’s been growing quite vigorously.

Comments (13)

• garden nut z9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the growth on it. I had bought it because the description said may reach 3ft with time so I figured it would be on the smaller side for a tea. Right now this cane is about 3ft and still growing. So I would say this rose can be vigorous in the right conditions, though It hasn’t bloomed yet in the two years I’ve had it. On the other hand the doctor rouges I got this season has been blooming non stop.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

I fear something is amiss with your plant. Malcolm Manners has it budded on Fortuniana in the Florida Southern College green houses and a years old plant isn't more than a foot and a half high. Even he complains it simply does not grow, even budded and in a green house. I think you received the wrong rose.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Please post photos when it blooms next Spring.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

I found the post Malcolm made there about the rose. "Oneto Home Saffron." A beautiful rose, but definitely the slowest-growing rose I've ever dealt with. The potted plant, in a 1-gallon pot, was grafted to 'Fortuniana' 4 years ago, and it is STILL not two feet tall!"

So, if what you planted has growth three feet like a climber and not flowered in the two years you've had it, something isn't right. Oneto flowers repeatedly. A comment from the Sacramento Cemetery stated theirs in the cemetery " which has never been pruned back, has gotten to about 2 1/2 feet high and wide in the 8 or so years since it's been planted. I planted it at home and it is about 1' high by 18" wide in its second growing season" and continued that both plants are own root and " I think of it more as a small plant, not a slow growing one." I commented that the Fortuniana stock might take off and carry Oneto with it were it in a larger pot. He responded he didn't think so as there are many other Fortuniana budded plants in one gallons there in the green houses which are huge in comparison.

• garden nut z9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting, I never thought about it being mislabelled. I did get a crepuscule from the cemetery at the same time that turned out to be Castro breen. The foliage on this rose is more akin to a china or tea/ maybe rambler so I’ll have to wait and see when it blooms. At the moment it has two canes and this one is the only one with new growth. The growth is upright but it is lax enough that it could be a climber like philips and rix.

• Douglas Parker
    4 years ago

It looks quite amazing and refreshing. Proper season and the atmosphere is needed in order to get such height. There may be a various reason if your planted plant is unable to grow as per your desire.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

garden nut - when that cane on your now mystery rose stops getting taller, you might consider putting some sort of support next to it so that you can train it horizontally, and see if that will make it more likely to bloom. We all want to see the blooms!

Jackie

• garden nut z9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll try that and see what happens.

• Douglas Parker
    4 years ago

Yes, this is the best way by which one can make it sine like blooms.

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    4 years ago

I have an "Oneto Home Saffron" that is approximately 8 - 9 years in the ground, own root, and it is, finally, 28" tall and not quite 3' across, after a bit of a growth spurt this past year. Yes, it seems to be into staying small-- interesting to hear that it does so even grafted on Fortuniana, Kim. It is a regular bloomer.

As for mislabels, I bought a little plant of 'Talisman' from Annie's Annuals that turned out to be 'Comtesse du Cayla'. Disappointing, since I already have one of those that's like 10' high and 12' across and didn't need another one (and, for sure, don't have the space!). I ran into Annie's rose propagator one day at the nursery and pointed out the error. He said the source for their alleged 'Talisman' was Sac Cemetery. It's bound to happen, given how many plants and volunteers are involved in the sales. The four plants I bought there this year are all true to their labels, with the one I am most charmed by being -- surprisingly, as I am usually most attracted to large, fat flowers with huge numbers of petals -- 'Petite Perle d'Or'. It's such a cool little rose.

• garden nut z9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got it last year also. It does look like it could be some form of rambler. I Don’t mind the mislabel as I usually get a good number of roses at the sale and I’m okay getting something different to try.

• garden nut z9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wonder if it could be Castro breen. I got a mislabelled Castro breen at they same time and the foliage and growth habit look similar.