Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbye_kitty

Does this look weird? (Porch renovation)

goodbye_kitty
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, all. I'd like some fresh eyes to look at this. I recently got my porch redone, extended so it runs to the end of my house. I'm unsure about the railing. I think it looks awkward and am considering changing it. I'm specifically talking about the spindle between the two columns and the little bit of railing plus spindle that extends beyond the left column. Please give me your honest opinion. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• jck910
    4 years ago

I like it. But it could do without that small section or all 3 could just be railing height not taller like they are now

goodbye_kitty thanked jck910
  • lizziesma
    4 years ago

Looks good, ready for landscaping.

goodbye_kitty thanked lizziesma
  • tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I like it! Adding an extra column makes too many columns!

i would consider doing the front door in a “pop” color.

Add some vegetation in front of the bricks, and it won’t look so bare.

goodbye_kitty thanked tangerinedoor
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

You are correct, goodbye_kitty, that does look odd. Okibujp make the necessary adjustments. Goodness, didn't they talk to you or sketch out their ideas for you? Otherwise, it looks very nice and welcoming. Once the landscaping goes in, after it's fixed, it will look great.

goodbye_kitty thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Brown Dog
    4 years ago

I don't think your porch looks that bad. Okibujp's version looks better but your existing railing isn't a disaster. Once you add pots of flowers, a couple hanging ferns between the 2 columns and landscaping you won't notice any weirdness.

goodbye_kitty thanked Brown Dog
  • aak4
    4 years ago

Okibujp got it right.

goodbye_kitty thanked aak4
  • tatts
    4 years ago

You need the middle support for stability. I like the short section on the left. The right side is a matter of taste. I'd leave it.

If this were a custom railing, it would be a different matter, but it's a vinyl kit, and there are just so many things you can do with it. The rail anchors at each post bother me more than anything.

goodbye_kitty thanked tatts
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think the steps should be wider with two posts flanking the entry at the top of the steps to focus interest there and balance it. What about hand rails for the steps?

Historic Chappaqua "Pineapple House" · More Info

Exteriors · More Info

goodbye_kitty thanked decoenthusiaste
  • hazelcraddock
    4 years ago

I'm in the minority. I like the red brick porch and walkway with the porch railing details as you have them. It gives it some stateliness beyond a farmhouse railing.

goodbye_kitty thanked hazelcraddock
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

if you approved drawings, as i suspect you did, the least expe3 alternative iscto add a column on tbe right of the porch entry.

goodbye_kitty thanked Oliviag
  • goodbye_kitty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It's very helpful. oklbujp, I like your design, and that's actually what I wanted to do to fix this, but as tatts said, that middle spindle is required for stability because it's a kit, not custom. We could put a column where the spindle is instead, but then the window is blocked. That could be ok, but I don't prefer it.

We will be adding shrubbery all along the front because yes, landscaping is definitely needed.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I don't think your stairs are wide enough for two columns flanking them, without leaving that dangerous opening on the left where the railing doesn't extend to the top stair. I like it how you have it. The columns look balanced and the opening to the door looks balanced and welcoming.

goodbye_kitty thanked Olychick
  • okibujp
    4 years ago

goodbye_kitty, thank you. tatts is right about the need for stability and since it's not custom, then I wouldn't mess with it. Once you get your landscaping in, it will look beautiful! Here is a mock up with a color door. I just picked a color to use as a sample. You have a lot of options with a white house :-)

goodbye_kitty thanked okibujp
  • okibujp
    4 years ago

goodbye_kitty thanked okibujp
  • dennisgli
    4 years ago

I see that you don't have railings on the stairs. Does your porch meet local code without a railing. If it does you could just remove it - I think that would also look good.

goodbye_kitty thanked dennisgli
  • goodbye_kitty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure whether it meets local code; I'll have to look into that. It's a single step, if that makes a difference.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

goodbye_kitty, if you're going to hang flower baskets, hang 2 between the columns instead of 1. That way your front window won't be blocked...

goodbye_kitty thanked Brown Dog
  • goodbye_kitty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Brown Dog. I'll do that.

dennisgli, I checked, and this is up to code.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Lots of people trying to eliminate the middle post so the column doesn't obstruct the view... and see some will remove the column and install the railing just as you have. In some cases it works and some cases they end up with a structural issue depending on the span between the columns especially if you having snowy winters, that is when structural failures occur...

goodbye_kitty thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • dennisgli
    4 years ago

I wasn't asking if your current railing is up to code. I was asking if you removed the railing entirely if that would be up to code. I think it would look better with no railing at all!