Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_monteleone77

Can fresh backsplash grout be lightened ?

Nat M
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The grout color on my backsplash in the house I am building is muchhhhhh darker than I expected. In the store it blended in. I wanted as little contrast as possible. It looks light a dark taupe in person. Am I stuck ? Thanks !

Comments (21)

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It lightens as it dries. How long has it been in? If it’s been 3-4 days, then you can use an epoxy grout colorant over it to change the color. It’s time consuming but very DIY friendly.

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

I know it's not what you wanted, but it looks beautiful!

• chispa
    4 years ago

On your hood ... that looks like a really small fan insert for your gas cooktop?

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Another vote for keep it. If you’d come on here asking for the perfect colour of grout, the colour you’ve got is exactly what I’d suggest.

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chispa ... does it? I don’t know anything about that.

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wanted to show y'all a close up of the grout. Builder admitted the mixed the wrong color. Its got a beige-pink tone to it. Would love to hear your thoughts..

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• mvcanada
    4 years ago

It is hard to tell in the pictures. Does the grout colour match any of the veining in your counter? If so, I'd say, yes, go with what you have. But on my monitor the grout looks brown/pink and the veining looks grey. If that is truly the case, I wouldn't be happy. And since the builder is admitting their mistake it is on them to make this right. A colourant may help and I do think if you find a very light grey grout that a bit of contrast against the tiles is quite nice - but it has to be closer to the colour in the veining than this appears currently. Good luck with it.

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

You can probably grout over that it doesn't look like it is filled that high and there's a little room. Maybe better to use non-sanded grout. Easy on the cleaning of the new grout let it set up a bit so you don't pull too much off. Worst case you need to scrape some out with one of these grout tools first.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Beige-pink? With the grey veining of the countertop, I’d say it’s a definite no. Since the builder admits that it’s his error, that’s a re-do.. Is it early enough that the grout hasn’t set yet and can be removed?

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

With new pics, I'll change my vote and say that, if they've admitted fault, it's up to them to fix. either with colourant or new grout.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen but definitely redo, it would like 10x better with lighter grout!! I am not a dark grout for contrast person though, I like to match to the tile.

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They are telling me they can color match to the color I originally chose which was a classic bone..would be less contrast but better than the beige pink ..

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do have gold fixtures so it kinda matches.. I’m torn lol

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Nat M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well they have already told me they will fix it by restaining. I was just trying to figure out if I liked this color or if I want it to be stained to the grout color I originally chose

• mvcanada
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I still say, redo the grout. You have to live with it for a long time and it will always remind you that it wasn't what you chose.