Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_leier

Cape Cod house window size dilemma

Chris
4 years ago

Hey all!

We are in the design phase of our kitchen remodel (topic of another thread) and have reached hurdle where your expertise and opinions are needed. Our house, is the below 2 story Cape Cod (old picture from the winter). The front right quadrant of the house is going to be the new home of the kitchen, but that front right window is giving us some issues with the design as iit is too low to put counters underneath of. So our question is, would making that window smaller so a counter run can go underneath look completely and utterly terrible. I am fairly OCD when it comes to symmetry, so my gut instinct is to throw that idea in the trash and find another way to make it work, but the more layout options we explore, they all seem to come back to the same hurdle of that window being too low for counters. So lay it on me people, what are your thoughts on having two different sized windows on either side of our house.

PS: I have also entertained putting a bay window on the left side of the house, which is the living room side. Would making this window even bigger accentuate my above issue or set them apart enough in size that it would help? If this is a terrible idea, feel free to tell me so.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (35)

• MarleneM
    4 years ago

Not a pro but I recall this issue previously on another thread. After considering some options like changing windows, making counter lower ie: builtin desk, or window seat, the homeowners decided to just run counter in front of window and had back of cabinet finished. Can’t recall actual thread, but it was something like photo below but with just a single window.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/mt-baker-craftsman-kitchen-seattle-phvw-vp~25157

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Its done all the time; leave the window as it originally was/is and let the cabinet stand in front of it

Guild Anderson Hand Painted Kitchen and Dining Space · More Info

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@HALLETT & Co. I think I agree with you and this reaffirmed my original thoughts. Has to be a design out there that we like that can incorporate the window as is.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone else have any unique thoughts or ideas on what could be done in-front of a window like this? We don't love the idea of the cabinet/counter extending above the window and have concluded resizing the window would look too off kilter from the exterior of the home. We are exploring a bench style seat, directly below the window, with storage underneath. Also have pondered a free standing butcher block table, tall enough to be functional, but below/even with the window line.

I have attached a preliminary rendering of the space for reference. Thanks!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Just install the cabinet over the window- you will probably have Venetian blinds or something on the window- it won't really show from outside.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I like Hallett’s idea. But use something pretty, like a Roman shade.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

What is the height of the opening from the floor? You may. Be able to cheat the window up enough so that countertop becomes the stool and use a larger sill trim on the bottom of the window on the outside.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@toddinmn The height from floor to bottom of the window is 30"

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I like your rendering. I like keeping the light coming in and I believe anyone looking at your kitchen will know exactly why there is no cabinet there and the space will be great.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

That is a little low to make up with a sill expander. I think I’d prefer a lower counter top that could double as bench with storage or a cabinet or shelves if more storage is needed.

• esutherland87
    4 years ago

I had the same problem and decided to leave it open. It became a great place to keep dog food dishes and have plants on window sill.

No dogs? Kids? Toy box.
    No kids? Shelf for cook books.
    Recycling? Pull out bins?
    Trash? Electric “nudge” opener for trash bin. (We love ours!)
    Window seat? Recycling underneath or tray storage.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Storage is something high on our priority list, but also do not want to sacrifice ascetics more than we have to. So trying to find that gentle balance. @toddinmn If we were to do a lower counter under the window, would you suggest going back up to normal height on either side?

• esutherland87
    4 years ago

Do you have dogs? I have that same situation. I put dog center in front of the window. If I didn’t have dogs, it would just be a break (in my attempt to jam as many cabinets in as possible). Kids? Toy box. Recycling? Pull out bins. Trash? Electric nudge opening trash bin. Cookbook shelf? (With dog bowls on lowest shelf).

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Can you post a floor plan with dimensions? The layout shown isn't great- lots of room for improvement...

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@HALLETT & Co. This is the current floor plan, the wall between the current kitchen and current dining will be removed and the new kitchen will be relocated to the current dining space, flipping the two. Let me know your thoughts. The above rendering is the first we have gotten done and by no means is final. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

One of my favorite kitchens had a breakfast bar in front of the window. That could give purpose to the window area. The rendering seems to leave a lot of unused floor space.

Desert Courtyard Kitchen · More Info

Desert Courtyard Kitchen · More Info

• MarleneM
    4 years ago

I think it all depends on what you would find most useful in that spot and how you use your kitchen. I know of someone who purposely added a lower counter because she was loved to bake and found an lower counter easier to roll pastry etc. Some other ideas could be lower counter for growing plants and herbs, or if you like to entertain maybe a builtin bar or a portable bar cart there. A window bench with storage does make sense if you would use it. This example has a little desk area incorporated.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/poggenpohl-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~1076656
    One idea that came to mind when I looked at your rendering is consider moving the pantry over by front door, then part of it could incorporate a closet. That way you could move fridge down closer to dining area and it would give you a longer length of counter between fridge and stove.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the ideas everyone! One other idea that we had, but have not seen it on paper and is coming from a person who is not a kitchen designer, was to have the cabinet run against the wall run straight all the way to the front wall with the window issue (no corner cabinet). Then instead of an island, utilizing a peninsula coming off that front wall. Kind of making the space a corridor kitchen layout. Thoughts there?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I'm beginning to question why you're even flipping the two. Where is your living area? What will guests see when they come through the front door? Can your current kitchen be extended into the dining room some but without a complete flip? Would save $$$ on plumbing changes!!! Can we see pix of the two rooms as they are now?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste, I can provide some pictures tonight and try to get a fill 1st floor plan put together. The issue with the old kitchen location is it's current layout it not functional and with how narrow it is, it would only allow for a single-wall style kitchen with no additional cabinet space on the opposing wall. There is unfortunately not room to expand it other than into the current dining room, but we liked a swap of spaces as a better option. As seen in the floor plan above, the front door opens into the living/dining room space, dining on the right and living on the left. We like the open concept idea of having the living and kitchen in the same open space, which is why we think swapping the two rooms works best for our application.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I have a few ideas but would want to base them on your current fixed utilities if possible. How many normally eat B-L-D at one table together? How many do you need to seat for dinner parties or holidays?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste thanks so much for the ideas, we are open to any and all of them. Normally it is just two of use, but we would like to be able to have 6-8 (which will be tight and are okay with that, just want to have the ability for holidays and such).

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Good to know. Do you have pix to upload?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste See attached, sorry about that

Only issues with current appliance location is the oven just cannot go there as it blocks the flow of traffic to that door. With how that door/walkway is, I don't think anything can really wrap around that back wall.

Please excuse the mess and thanks in advance!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Thanks. I've forgotten; are you keeping your current appliances or getting new?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste they will be all new, full sized appliances. Thanks!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I'll work something up for you this weekend! Have you considered induction cooktop? Check out discussions here on Houzz for them.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have, but I think we are set on gas. Thanks again!

• Mandy Hunsucker
    4 years ago

I’m not a professional and am not 100% sure it would fit,but could you slide (move)the doorway between the kitchen and dining room over towards the fridge. Like right up to it ( maybe even get a counter depth fridge for more precious inches), then put the range up against the stair wall with a little counter/cabinet space on both sides of stove. It would make it more of a galley style kitchen.

• Mandy Hunsucker
    4 years ago

Yeah, my idea probably won’t work.

• Mandy Hunsucker
    4 years ago

Could the fridge be tucked under the stairs and then the stove placed where the fridge is now?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Since only the front 12" of shelving is really accessible, how about a shallow floor to ceiling pantry system on the wall across from your sink/fridge counter? That will greatly increase the storage space you have. Judging by the bookshelf pantry in the dining area, you could use it.

J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

Tuck a nice breakfast nook in the front corner between the two windows combining a banquette with a skinny table, one or two chairs and a nice light fixture.

El Dorado · More Info

Looks like you have two beverage fridges in the dining space. Are those staying in the new configuration? If so and you want to set up a bar, I would put it there between the front window and your entry door. Does that appeal to you? Still working on the other side of the kitchen.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Can we assume those are basement stairs you enter by the back door? You might steal some of the head space at the east end of those so you could put an oven/micro tower there recessed just a bit so it doesn't close off that end of the kitchen. Then you can move the fridge to the right by the window and put a gas cooktop and hood right of the dish washer. I would do a straight run of lower cabinets on the wall with drawers. One set left of the sink, doors under the sink, w/d, then cooktop with drawers underneath, then a pullout utensil cabinet, and another set of drawers next to the fridge which will have shifted into the dining area. The wall of pantry from the back entry to the oven/micro tower will complete the south side of your drawing. If you prefer a range, then you'd just lose the drawer storage but could make it up by extending the 12" pantry further into the dining space.

Drawers under gas cooktop

Kitchen Retreat In Shades of Blue and Grey · More Info

Utensil pullout

Base Utensil Pantry Pullout with Knife Block · More Info

A variation on these would extend all along the south wall or could stop to allow for a tower for an oven and micro and the dining end.

Grey Country Kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info