Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_gille

Help me critique my small kitchen layout please!

Tim Gille
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Tim's ideas · More Info

Tim's ideas · More Info

Hello everyone my wife and I have just opened a wall up in our house and are about to redo our kitchen and just wanted to see if others could provide opinions if we are on the right track or not. The layout I did here was done from Ikea's website but we likely would be doing Barker cabinets. We would be doing a 36" corner (instead of 38" from ikea) and a 33" sink base which would center the sink under the window on the left. The windows in the kitchen are not being moved or widened and our microwave is much shorter then the stock one listed on their program. Thanks for everyones time -Tim

Tim's ideas · More Info

Tim's ideas · More Info

Comments (16)

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The washer and dryer are being moved to the garage to make room for all the kitchen stuff as well I failed to mention.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Geez I was hoping someone else would say something brilliant before I gave it a try ;-)

Is that the door to the garage on the right? I don't see a whole lot of options here, unless you're open to the idea of moving the range. I wonder if you could get yourself a larger sink base (36") and fudge the sink-lined-up-with-window "rule" here. It looks like you have a few inches to spare, and I think a larger sink might really be a welcome addition.

I wish I could think of a way to get you a few extra inches of depth on one or both counters--that would also help you a lot, since it looks like you keep things on the counter. It's a tricky size and configuration. You'll no doubt hear that having the fridge in the corner is going to limit your ability to open the door and remove the shelves for cleaning, so test that out and make sure you can live with it.

And try posting a plan without all the extra stuff on the screen. It will make it easier for others to weigh in.

Your pug is adorable, BTW, and seems to be enjoying the game!

Good luck :-)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

These two plans probably won't get much love, since corner sinks waste some space, but you'd have more prep space between the sink and range, and the hood would be a nice focal point from the living area. In addition, the dish mess is somewhat hidden. In the plan on the right, you have an option for a separate cooktop and ovens.

You could add a small mobile cart or table for extra prep space, with or without seating:

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ya that is the door to the garage the house is super small and basically any additional cabinets will be an upgrade over our current cabinet run!

We swapped to a 33" fridge to buy more space against the window on the right side and the windows hinder our options.

Considered putting the range in between the windows but to that the dishwasher would have to go on the left side which feels awkward to me! I will write to layout on graph paper and give that a go with dimensions and stuff.

She likes to bark at TV when sports are on so she is typically fairly engaged in what is going on lol

Appreciate your feedback!

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Didn't think of a corner sink that's something to consider as well. Appreciate the suggestions!

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Ok glad you got a 33" fridge. Is is counter depth? Every inch counts in a space like this (full disclosure: I've been struggling with my almost 15' x almost 10' kitchen for years! I'm up for this challenge.)

So Mama G brings up a good, if contentious idea. Honestly, I hate a corner sink, but I don't hate it here. I can't find anywhere else to put it! And I second her suggestion for some kind of cabinet to the right of the door. I'd bring the width of the new opening in to catch the side of that, just how it is on the opposite side. If nothing else, it'll give you a spot for the Pug food! I see it doesn't seem to have a good home in your pics. Maybe the trash can could live there too, if you don't have a cabinet for it.

And a sturdy mobile cart is another good idea. Get a good one (Boos,) and it will become that extra prep space that you need.

Mama Goose, do you think they could do 28" countertops with the corner sink? Would it free things up in that corner?

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The fridge isn't counter depth but it is 3 inches shallower than the one in that picture so it helped there.

I agree with doing something small with seating and something small between the door and wall. That sounds like a great idea!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I don't usually like a corner sink either, unless there are windows on both sides. I drew one here to provide a better prep space (and a pretty back wall :).

Making the counter on the fridge wall 28" deep is a good idea, but the sink base will need to move to the right, leaving a bit less space on the range wall. I'm thinking that if a 42" base is used, there is space for a 15" cabinet between the DW and sink--a perfect size for a trash pull-out in a small kitchen. I would normally place the trash pull-out under the prep counter, but putting it between the DW and sink will leave room for wider drawers on the range wall. (ETA, if the kitchen is 9'11"--I can't see the measurement clearly.)

I forgot to specify, but the MW beside the fridge is in an upper cabinet.

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dimension wise the space is 173“X107"

Thanks for all the great suggestions

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Yea, I like the corner sink here.

or put the sink between the two windows.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Another idea...

First, though, please realize that with a small space compromises are often needed. However, I think this layout has few, the primary being the sink is not under a window -- it's b/w the two windows. This does have the advantage that the Prep Zone workspace is in front of the window, many people prefer this setup.

The other, minor, compromise is that the refrigerator does not have landing space directly next to it. It does, however, have landing space within the NKBA guidelines of no more than 48" away (the perimeter counters are 43" away). To make it even easier to get food to/from the Refrigerator (and Pantry cabs), I suggest a small rolling cart (there's an example at the end of this post).

What does the layout have?

• Separation of the primary work zones...Prep, Cooking, Cleanup
    • Follows the Kitchen workflow of Refrigerator --> Sink --> Prep Workspace --> Range
    • Plenty of prep workspace
    • A secondary Prep Zone using the Cleanup Zone
    • Real vent hood over the range
    • 18" pullout pantry
    • 24" tall cabinet with...tray storage on top, additional food/dish storage below the trays, an alcove for a countertop MW at counter-height, and more additional food/dish storage below the alcove (in drawers).
    • The upper cabinet above the sink and b/w the two windows is only 9" deep so there's more "face room" while working at the sink. If you don't need the storage, you could eliminate it altogether.
    • Pots & pans in the corner susan
    • Note that I extended the wall on the right side to hide most of the refrigerator from the other rooms "below". This isn't necessary from a functional standpoint, but it is for aesthetic reasons if you're someone who doesn't like to see things sticking out. The wall, however, can be no deeper than the refrigerator box b/c the doors must stick out past all adjacent items. (The Refrigerator is surrounded by finished end panels, so it wouldn't be stainless steel sticking out.)

[Select/click on an image to a larger version]

Layout:

Zone Map:

Rolling Cart example (found on Home Depot site)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/StyleWell-Glenville-White-Single-Kitchen-Cart-SK17787Cr2-BBW/304083100

Tim Gille thanked Buehl
  • Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for all the various options for us to consider!

I love the idea of additional prep space as presently it's non existent in this house!

Lots to think thru appreciate everyone taking the time to provide their ideas!

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the newest potential option which would give additional prep space with moving the pantry to the spot between wall and living area where there is already a small pantry that we have which is just not deep.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Your latest plan still won't work because you don't have enough room to open the fridge door.

I don't like corner sinks, especially corner sinks in a dark corner because I had one. I always felt like I was being punished.

I do like Buehl's layout a lot and had thought of something similar. It works really well for your small space.

I'd like to propose something more radical which is a U shaped kitchen.

The compromise here is you have to walk into the kitchen work zone to get to the fridge which is not ideal. And the other compromise is it's basically a 1 butt kitchen.

However this gives you tons of storage and another eating spot.

The arrow is showing how that cabinet would open to the living room side for extra storage.

• Tim Gille
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Regarding the fridge door the handle is reversable so I had planned on having it open from right to left and also the interior door we had figured on doing an out swing into the garage setup to avoid issues with the fridge door and garage door running into one another. We will need to consider the bar height setup as well!