Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettenoire

Please help me with my fall order

bettenoire
4 years ago

This is going to be an epic set of lists, sorry. It´s time for my annual request for input.

I am trying to get a quarter acre flower farm started here in NW Spain, and find that the roses are what give me the most joy to grow. So I´m ordering more, lots more. My criteria are cut flower suitability, fragrance, and disease resistance, in that order. Everything gets blackspot here, I´ll have to up my prevention game. I´m no spray, and the climate is 8b to 9a, probably similar to Portland, OR or Shropshire/Somerset?. Wet winters, dry summers.

I´ve already got mostly 2 year old roses:

Brother Cadfael

Munstead Wood

Evelyn

Lady of Shallot

Pilgrim

Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Chandos Beauty

Whiter Shade of Pale

F. Mistral

Apricot Nectar

Artemis

Purple Lodge

So now for new trials, of which I should order 2 each, so I can´t have them all. Can you let me know if these are reasonably good contenders for cutting/repeat/fragrance? (You will see a lot of forum enabled choices here.)

Austins

Bathsheba

Vanessa Bell

James Galway

Fighting Temeraire

A Shropshire Lad

Boscobel

Lichfield Angel

The Ancient Mariner

The Lark Ascending

Leander

English Elegance (never heard of this one, but liked the picture)

Olivia Rose

Sweet Juliet

Lavendar/Mauves - I don´t have any light ones and would like to narrow it down to 2 or 3

Mamie Blue

Neptune

Novalis/Poseiden

Blue River

Blue Girl

C. DeGaulles

Dioressence

Florence Dellattre

Indigoletta

Lavendar Charm

Lav. Pinocchio

Blue Moon

Weird colors - I don´t really like odd mauve/sepia/grey/ochre roses, but the florists do. Thought about Distant Drums, but Tuincentrum doesn´t offer it. Any thoughts about the following:

Koko Loko

Ginger Syllabub

Eisvogel

Creme Caramel

Acropolis

Belle Epoque

And roses I liked the looks of or have been recommended for cut flowers in books/online:

Parfume d´Orleans

Colette

Valencia

Schloss Eutin

Sally Holmes

Compassion

Also to come is an OGR order. I´m thinking about ordering from Peter Beales before Halloween in case it´s my last chance before Brexit.

My instagram is https://www.instagram.com/granxaromanesca/ if you´re interested.

Thank you so much!

Comments (13)

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

The only one on your “want” lists that I have is The Lark Ascending - I love it as it‘s healthy and the plant has a fresh, natural look to it, but it‘s not fragrant and I don’t think it would make a good cut flower. So, may not be what you’re looking for....

bettenoire thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Blue Girl!!!!

bettenoire thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • bettenoire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cyndita, that ¨unstudied¨ look is why LA is so appealing. Disappointing it doesn´t last in the vase.

Oursteelers, one vote for Blue Girl!

Thank you for your thoughts!

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Blue Girl is gorgeous, not very blackspot resistant though. Boscobel blew its flowers quickly for me. I would recommend Olivia Rose Austin. Poisedon is great, decent resistance. Colette is really cute, small flowers but pretty. I saw it in a public garden. I'm ipromisedyouarosegarden on Instagram if you want to see Colette, Olivia, and Poisedon.

bettenoire thanked Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
  • dianela7analabama
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

From you Austin list I grow Lichfield angel, Boscobel and Olivia. Olivia is close by to 100% black spot resistant my my garden with very high black spot pressure. It also blooms constantly and grows well. Fragrance in Olivia is mild to medium here. Lichfield and Boscobel both will Blackspot without spray but I still love them. I will add you on Instagram, I just started using it. https://www.instagram.com/rangiku11/

bettenoire thanked dianela7analabama
  • totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

How about Sweet Mademoiselle HT? Lasts long in a vase. Fragrant, blacks pot resistant, good repeat, and long sturdy stems. Bushy shape with many basal breaks.

bettenoire thanked totoro z7b Md
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

^^^ !!

La Tacita 2017 First Prize Fragrance Award

Thanks, Totoro. With BS resistance, I may check it out. Didn’t know about it.

bettenoire thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I have Compassion and I can tell you that I can't ever remember mine not having at least some blooms at all time all spring and summer so far. It blooms all the time for me.

bettenoire thanked pippacovalent
  • mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

For me Sally Holmes doesn't make a good vase flower. Very short lived. But it is a beautiful bush.

bettenoire thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • bettenoire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rose Apothecary - Poseiden gets a vote. Your instagram is fab!

Dianela - Noted. Olivia, Boscobel and Lichfield are rising in the rankings.

Totoro - SM looks lovely. I´m also looking for Francis Meilland, so an order from them may be in the works.

Rifis - Helpmefind doesn´t have a listing for Tacita, so I don´t know how available it is.

Pipacovalent - Compassion seems to be one of those tried and true standards. Thanks.

Mmmm - Interesting. I see it offered by other flower farmers. Maybe it´s good for wedding work that doesn´t need that long a vase life, but creates a spectacular effect.

Thanks to you all!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Excellent point! I bet Sally Holmes is for wedding work. It screams gorgeous wedding and is always loaded with blooms when the Japanese Beetles aren't munching it. Our beetle pressure let up a few days ago and already I've got some gorgeous sprays with a bunch more on the way.

If I ever built a little screen house for it, it would be loaded all summer long.

bettenoire thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • bettenoire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mmmm - lovely rose!

Totoro - I keep meaning to take cuttings and try propogation. I hope my efforts are as successful.