Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Bette Midler's apartment for sale - The colors!

Oakley
4 years ago

Anyone want to loan me fifty mil? :) I wouldn't paint one wall.

Bette's apartment

Comments (27)

• User
    4 years ago

It’s beautiful other than the two bedrooms that seemed disjointed with the rest of the house.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I am so in love with those beautiful Manhattan apartments with terraces. If I ever have an extra $100 million or so, I'll be on the next plane.

• Anne
    4 years ago

My only question, because price is no issue ( to look and judge), is if the the elevator goes to all three floors. Stunning "apartment" . Beautifully done and somehow all that space in NYC and not at all pretentious to me. I do think Bette seems like a kind soul and that seems to show in the apartment..

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

I would not have thought Bette and I shared the same decorating style, but I could move right in (sans $50 mil).

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I looked at the bedrooms again and the only one that seemed disjointed has the blue and white striped walls. Until...I saw the peach rug.

The apartment seems to have all the colors of a peach. I wish I knew who the decorator was. As if I could hire them.

Only one thing I don't like and that's the white staircase. Maybe if it was painted peach? :)

• tinam61
    4 years ago

I like the more neutral living areas (love that kitchen), and the outdoor areas are beautiful. Not big on the bedrooms and all the stairs or the red. Overall very tasteful. I could never live in NYC though!

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful space. It's just looks like a space that you can actually relax in and live in. I wonder if they schedule looky-loo open houses.

• bpath
    4 years ago

I really don’t get NYC prices at all. But, I think I could very happily live there with no changes whatsoever. None. I love it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What color would you say the walls are in the living area next to the big staircase? I'm stumped.

• graywings123
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lovely. I wonder whether it is her stuff or staged. I love the green curtains in the kitchen covering the two glass front cabinets. That's a good option when you realize not all of your stuff should be exposed.

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

Lovely!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

The bedrooms and bathrooms are a disappointment. The K, the library, LR and outdoors are sublime.

• nini804
    4 years ago

So the red(ish) room with the piano looks like her office? The striped bedroom looks like perhaps a grandchild’s room? What I am assuming is the master looks a bit cluttered to me....with those views I would definitely move all that art to a different spot...perhaps a hall or something. But wow...that is truly elegant NYC living!!! Utterly gorgeous views.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

I think it’s funny that the listing says where the subway stops are. Like anyone who can afford the place would ride the subway. LOL

Donna

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

Love everything..except the stairs-I have so many mental images of how one can fall and break their neck there..but then it happens to me with many beautiful stairs))

(watched one telenovela..shows poor and rich homes..rich homes always have some murderours stairs-very convenient for plot twists..one house has stairs made of glass..the steps themselves are glass, not only the banisters..then they go for three series about "what a tragedy, that X fell and the glass shard was in her neck.." ..)

okay back to topic..if it does have an elevator though..I wouldn't change anything.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

Oh wow, just love it. I love how youre living in the treetops yet you’re right in the city. Yes, it would be nice if the elevator goes to all three floors. I’ll have to ask the realtor before I make my offer.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

If not for the bedrooms it was the opposite of color to my eye. Very formal spaces. I don't know her story--did she have children a husband?

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I like it! To me it looks as though some of the more mcm pieces were recent additions added to the traditional for a look that would appeal to a larger audience. Some don’t look like they evolved there. However, regardless of possible swap outs I don’t think much staging was done. Because of that , the result is pleasing.

It‘s interesting looking through the living space of Bette. She has two very strong distinct sides to her personality with not much middle. I like this side of her...a home-y home in a big busy city. Unpredictable but familiar.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Hcbm, thanks for the insight on subway usage in NYC!

I’m curious...how do y’all know Bette Midler’s the seller?

Donna

• User
    4 years ago

I love it! Nothing pretentious about it.

• Star Jeep
    4 years ago

For that price, one would expect a proper master ensuite bathroom. This one shares with a bedroom according to the floor plan.

• User
    4 years ago

That bedroom could easily be used as a sitting room.

She says, “it’s like a country house in the city.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/realestate/bette-midlers-fifth-avenue-penthouse-goes-on-the-market-for-50-million.html

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

The top floor with the terrace and library is gorgeous. The kitchen is lovely. I've always loved Bette Midler, and to me she has seemed more down to earth than most actors/singers. I didn't realize she's a birder, so thanks, NYT!

Oakley, the designer was Fernando Santangelo. graywings, the pictures look very much like the ones in the AD article five years ago, so not staged,

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/bette-midler-manhattan-penthouse-article

As far as the price is concerned, it's a triplex penthouse on Fifth Avenue with views of Central Park. And it's NYC : ) .

msmeow, there are articles promoting the sale all over the place, inc the NYT article linked above.

arcy, she and her husband have been married for 35 years; they married six weeks after they met. They have a daughter who's also an actor.

IIRC, they have a house in Hawaii (where she was born) too, but spend most of their time in NYC.

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

Not a lot I would change. I kind of like the counterpoint of the soft areas and bold rooms.

• amykath
    4 years ago

That view is stunning. I like most everything about it. Not a fan of the kitchen island or the huge intrusive vent hood.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Just glorious. (Those bathroom sconces!! All the lighting is drool-worthy.) My only nitpick is the kitchen vent hood. Intrusive is the right word, @aktillery9.