Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_scalzitti

Granite vs. Quartz Countertops

Judy
4 years ago

We are wrapping up the design process for our kitchen remodel. Trying to decide between quartz and granite for counter tops. Quartz is great, indestructible, etc., but wondering how it looks on a daily basis. Example - two people who have quartz counters, white in color, say they struggle constantly with water marks. Any one else experienced that? What about upkeep on granite? I know several people who have granite, but have never resealed it, etc. Very torn - not sure I like the 'plastic' look of quartz, but love the durability. Love the look of a granite I've picked out. The honed black granite I have in a bathroom shows every little water mark - so you can see, I am very torn/confused.

Comments (39)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Both are very durable and function well. I would choose based on the look you want.

• Judy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I am leaning towards granite, as I really like the look of the one I have chosen. It too is a gray granite - looks similar to soapstone. I thought the quartz looked too plastic - but was intrigued by the durability.

• yumelizabeth
    4 years ago

I have quartz and struggle with watermarks. Easy to clean with a tiny bit of dish soap and warm water. It is beautiful though.

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Quartz can chip...and has for many!

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I am not a fan of the look of quartz, so my vote would be for granite or quartzite.

• User
    4 years ago

If you already know you love the granite counter in your bathroom, then I'm sure you'll love it in your kitchen too-- as long as you get the same kind, from the same source.

• Mom
    4 years ago

My perimeter countertops are Virginia Mist granite, leathered. Very easy to maintain with a look similar to soapstone

• Laura Grosmaire
    4 years ago

We have Pental Quartz in our kitchen (island), we love it. Ours goes with our cabinets very well and although it is not a "natural stone" look exactly, it is definitely not plastic looking. We also have it in our laundry room, I've had no problems with it. I clean it with dish detergent/warm water and wipe dry. I'm careful around the stove top with it (hot pans, etc) because it is temperature sensitive, but that's about it. We found what looked good with our very visually busy cabinets and went for it. You should do the same!

And in the laundry room:

• karin_mt
    4 years ago

I'm in the midst of all kinds of testing of granite, quartz, and other materials for staining, acid resistance, heat resistance, hardness, etc. I would not say that engineered quartz is any more durable than granite. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. If you want granite, you should get it, but do as much due diligence as you can to make sure that the properties of your granite match your needs. Many granites are pretty much bulletproof.

Good luck!

• Fsal
    4 years ago

I strongly dislike the look of engineered stones. Nothing beats the beauty of real stones imo. But I think this boils to personal preference perhaps.

• st5330
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

i dislike most granite as i dont like a “busy“ counter. id go based on looks and sounds like for you thats granite. you could try quartzite too if you havent

• Judy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone! Your comments really helped!!

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

I've had both quartz and granite and much prefer quartz for the look. Both are equally as durable IMO, even the white quartz in my last house had maybe 1 tiny chip after 3 years and I could get any stains out with the magic eraser easily.

• Mom
    4 years ago

I actually have both - granite (and a quartzite island) in the kitchen and white quartz in two bathrooms. The quartz has been in much longer but I haven’t had any problems with staining or chipping. I am careful, though, with hot appliances (e.g. flat irons) around it. All three materials have their pluses and minuses - it probably comes down to what you personally prefer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Who said engineered stone is "indestructable"? Set a hot pot on it and get back to us please. At least you can fix scorched Corian; not so ES.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Here the heat from a saw blade has caused deflection. Natural stone never does this.

• Laura Grosmaire
    4 years ago

Nobody, and there have been at least 2 comments about the heat sensitivity of quartz. It's well publicized.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Joseph I've set hot pots on my quartz tons of times, never an issue.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

OP mentioned quartz as being indestructible.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Casamacho: Your days are numbered, I swear.

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

My sister has Quartz and she even puts her crockpot on a cutting board. She was instructed by her kitchen person to be careful with heat. It’s very beautiful.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Natural stone or Glacier White Corian for me. Quartz is too expensive for what it is.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Joseph had it for 3 years no issues. Getting it again for current kitchen.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

Casamacho are you talking hot or straight off the stove or out of the oven hot?

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Casamacho, That may be true but why take a chance?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Hot pots and quartz not a match made in heaven no matter what ccasamacho tells you. IMO granite stands up to everthing and really needs no care forever except wiping it off . Hot pots straight from the stove no issue stood the test of time for hundreds of years and is not 1/2 plastic. Corian is all plastic even worse and no quartz behind your stove either that tells you something right there.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

For what it's worth I do not put really hot pots on my granite. I always use trivets. I don't want to risk it causing an issue.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Yup I never thought not to! Our quartz guy told us it's fine. Usually right off the stove, I set it down before I can strain it into the sink or dump pasta back into the hot pot to mix with sauce, same as I did with granite. I don't use the oven often to be honest but I have set down the hot pan straight out of the toaster oven before taking something off to put onto a plate. The only issue I ever had with quartz is that anything dark red/orange would stain it if left on too long. But magic eraser took it right out.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Just my experience Patricia, maybe I've been lucky. Maybe I will be more careful once we get our new kitchen installed... but I'm curious to see what damage it would cause to white quartz, are there any photos out there of hot pans burning the surface?

• chispa
    4 years ago

I would also never place something hot, off the stove or oven, on a granite counter. Thermal expansion in stone can happen, so why take a chance to ruin your counters when all you need is a trivet.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Have you also looked at quartzite?

I don't like quartz except maybe in a MCM home or a very very contemporary home that is playing up industrial materials in a solid color or an obviously not natural stone pattern. I dislike all the quartz's that try to look like marble or stone. They look fake. There is a depth to natural stone that just isn't able to be reproduced in quartz.

• Fsal
    4 years ago

Agree with @cpartist completely. And quartz definitely doesn’t have the sparkle that almost all natural stones have! @judy seems like you don’t like the fakeness/plasticy look of the quartz. In that case go with a beautiful natural stone and just clean up the water marks:)) It’s worth it in the end!!

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

love my leathered quartzite.

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

nothing like real!

• alcapulco
    4 years ago

love it!

• Kaylie
    4 years ago

I've had quartzite and quartz. My quartzite was way more bulletproof. I loved that stuff. To be fair, I have white quartz and the quartzite was darker, but I would not describe quartz as bulletproof. Mine gets wine stains and little scuff marks randomly.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Hot pots and quartz not a match made in heaven no matter what ccasamacho tells you."

True.

" IMO granite stands up to everthing and really needs no care forever except wiping it off . Hot pots straight from the stove no issue stood the test of time for hundreds of years and is not 1/2 plastic."

Patricia, the Natural Stone Institute, the 70-year-old trade association of the natural stone industry, disagrees with you and recommends trivet use with all natural stone. I disagree also, as I've seen the crystals in granite have all the color sucked out in a perfect circle by the heat from a pot bottom, the same way toilet bowl cleaner does.

"Corian is all plastic even worse and no quartz behind your stove either that tells you something right there."

Corian recently celebrated its 50th anniversary; it's as classic as subway tile with that kind of longevity. Corian is repairable; quartz and natural stone not so much. Quartz problems behind a stove have been designer, not fabricator, installer, or manufacturer error, every single time I've ever seen it.

• MizLizzie
    4 years ago

I’ve had both and slightly prefer quartz. Granite is wonderful but being a germaphobe, I want something with zero porosity. I just installed Cambria Beaumont and Cambria Crowndale. They are busy patterns and don’t look plastic to my eye. This is my second Cambria install. No cracks or chips. Easy to maintain. In my area, quartz is prefered for resale. That said, there are some stunning granite slabs that cannot be equalled for beauty. Choose what you like. But I would never set a truly hot pot on either. Never have, never will. It’s a rarity for granite to crack, but by no means unheard of. Good luck!