Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_858029183

Do I need to expand or can I make my current floor plan work better?

David Hernandez
4 years ago

Hi I am looking to do a whole home renovation. However I look at our floor plan and I feel like the poor floor plan would make resale some day a lot harder so we might want to look into expanding to add space or move floor plan around. The bad thing is the location of the stairs feels really out of place. My parents added a second story as cheaply as possible back in the early 90's so there is just one main room upstairs the size of the garage that we're probably going to leave as is unless we build both up and out but that's probably way more than we want to spend. My fiance and I are staying here taking care of my widowed mother to save money for our own home but we figured it'd be worth it to spend some money to renovate that'll also help on resale while we stay there to feel comfortable. But the more we spend on renovation the longer it takes for us to pay off that loan and save money for our own home so we're trying to find a balance between comfort/price/resale value.

It's so narrow I feel like there's not much that can be done with the space that doesn't involve expanding into the backyard or what I'm thinking is moving the garage up and using that space but even then the placement of the stairs makes me feel like I can't really expand the kitchen without moving it somewhere else but I don't want to lose space in the rooms, if anything I want to add space to bedroom 2 and add a closet and potentially a bigger bathroom.

Please forgive how bad it looks I was just trying to get a feel for what the floor plan looks like.

Is there anything that can be done/recommended that would be cost effective? We're looking to spend as little as possible but we could potentially splurge and do a MAJOR reno by adding space but we're not sure if it's worth the investment or not. Will our resale really be hindered by the floor plan if we leave it as is? I actually think it makes use of the little space pretty well and the living room area behind the accordion door has even been used as a fourth bedroom before. But its just so super cramped and again we really want to look forward to resale value and if we are going to make changes now would be the time otherwise we would just sell as is in the future when it comes down to it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)