Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayann246

Red Roses are Hot Pink

Kay Ann
4 years ago

I'm in NC, zone 7 I believe. I had drift roses and double knockout roses installed yesterday. Even though all 10 tags on the roses list red/cherry red, they look a hot pink color. I looked online and see the same thing when I look up red drift roses on the local home improvement sites. Do they look hot pink because of the hot weather or transplanting from pot to ground? Will the drift or double knock out roses ever turn red?

Comment (1)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

Hi Kay Ann

Welcome to the wonderful world of "garden color", not to be confused with "actual color" in the way that non-gardeners would use these terms. The term "red" in gardening terms is one of those words that can be applied to roses that are anything from screaming orange to hot pink to pale washed-out nothingness. Even more specific labels of red that should limit the variability can be applied in ways that don't make sense to me. My Scarlet Velvet rose has never been anything but hot pink to my eye, yet the term Scarlet evokes colors of fire engines or Revolutionary war uniforms that would never in any circumstances apply to that rose as I see it. Treat labels like "red", "blue" or "purple" with similar skepticism and find pictures of the variability of a rose on databases like helpmefindroses.com if you want to see the range of colors your rose actually might be.

You're right that a lot of roses that can be more or less red under some circumstances can turn pink in hot weather. We call this "blueing" and some roses are particularly prone to it. Mr. Lincoln can SOMETIMES be a gorgeous dark red but most of the time he's a dark hot pink at best and a neon pink at worst. The transplanting shouldn't make a ton of difference in the color, but a new young rose might have blooms that aren't quite like its mature form in the first flush or two. I think the heat has more to do with the color than the transplant conditions, and some roses are simply more variable in color with weather conditions than others. Roses that have the word cherry as a descriptor are often ones that blue out a fair bit, since cherries have those blue tones and that's part of what our eyes read as hot pink. "Crimson" is another word that tends to be a rose that's in the hot pink family most of the time, whereas "scarlet" is supposed to mark roses that tend toward the hot side of red (but not in the case of Scarlet Velvet).

Double Knockout in my yard always has those pink-crimson tones and is never a true fire engine red for me. The Cherry Drift roses are mostly the same for me, and that crimson-pink color is a common one that roses tend to drift toward particularly in the heat. There are some easy care roses that are closer to a true crayola red color - Kardinal Kolorscape or Screaming Neon Red (an Easy Elegance rose) don't tend to pink out on me, but any rose can be variable under some conditions.

Hope this helps - it's unlikely to be anything you've done or the landscapers have done to affect the color directly.
    Cynthia