Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla3127

Too big?

Nad T
10 years ago
We put a gazebo in our backyard for some shade but I don't seem to like it...I am not sure if it is just because I am used to seeing an empty space or if the gazebo is too big...Should we go with a smaller gazebo like the one in the store that I have attached a picture of?

Comments (27)

• PRO
    meganjacksonmeder
    10 years ago
    I agree with the previous commenter - it looks great! You may not be liking it scale-wise with your lower patio I see in the background on the left? If that's the case, landscaping would be your best friend. You would extend some landscaping around the lower patio to enlarge the overall feel, then add matching landscaping accents near the new gazebo to tie the two looks together.
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What kind of landscaping? Like shrubs?
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    The size seems fine, given the big expanse of the back yard and size of the surrounding trees. From your pictures, I'm gathering you come out of the house, there's lawn with the rock (retaining?) wall, then just the big expanse of lawn with a concrete patio and gazebo kind of marooned out there. I would try to define these as "activity" areas. Maybe a lounge area with a firepit on the open slab, and dining area for the gazebo. Even if you had to do a smallish patio/pad before you got to the gazebo for a barbeque and serving table, that could add to the usefulness. Plant a pretty ornamental tree between those two areas with a shrub/flower bed around the base, connect the two with a curving path, which then would connect with a path to the house. Small shrubs lining the paths would tighten up the connection between the two, and the house. Some perennial flowers tucked between the shrubs could brighten it up in spring and summer.
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    10 years ago
    I think the qazebo size is fine. The problem comes that you have an organic curve and then a non-organic (square object) You should "anchor" the pergola with plant material to disguise the non-organic shape of it. Shrubs, flowers, grasses, a small tree. etc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Agreed, the gazebo looks to be a good size for the backyard. Just need some design with the path getting there.
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sounds good! Do I put the plants close to the gazebo...like in front of pillars? Side? Back?
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Are you willing to share the general area you live in? People may have some good specific suggestions for plant material and how that might be planted around your features.
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sure! I am close to Ottawa Ontario Canada!
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Well, this is interesting. I googled "ottawa canada plants". It looks like there are 5 zones in your area, according to the title "Farmgate Plant Hardiness Zones and Gardening Calendar". You might want to take a look at that to see where you fit in. Also, I saw that the City of Ottawa has a Native Plant section on their website. Native plants might be a great choice, as they generally thrive, need far less care, and are good for area wildlife. Birds especially love natives. Not that this was helpful for specific plants, but better to follow local direction than to get things that you pay good money for, then they croak.
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your help...would you put plants by the gazebo posts? I have 2 boys who love to zip around in their car in the yard so I am not sure a path with plant will work since they will likely plow right over it!
  • PRO
    Living Space Landscapes
    10 years ago
    A sturdy landscape with a few large boulders can be extra fun for children. Boys will jump from rock to rock without damaging any flowers.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Ah, boys and toys! There's more than one way to kill plants, and that's one, for sure. In that case I think I would opt to do one curvey planting bed at the gazebo and one at the firepit patio. The bed would just wrap around the one corner. I'd do the gazebo one at the corner closest to the house and pathway to the yard. Not big enough to block either side, just to soften it up a little. I would do one at the firepit on the left corner, also the one closest to the house. In this way the bare square appearance is mitigated. And plants are out of harm's way!
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok...I like the idea of a small curved garden on the corner of each structure...how many plants should there be? Big or small or both sizes of plants?
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also any suggestions for furniture?
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry...one more question...would you put a drape up?
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The best way to plan a garden bed is to take a hose down to the area, and lay it out on the ground in the pretend "outline". You can move it around, make it bigger or smaller, put in some interesting undulations (don't just make it a semi-circle around the corner...it needs to have some personality!) Once you decide, you can spray the outline (they make landscape and utility marking paints for this that don't harm the grass in case you goof). If you are going to dig it out straight away, you can always use flour.

Measure the dimensions so you know how much space you are really working with. If you make a little drawing and put the measurements on it, it's easier to take with you to the nursery, and for people there to advise you. (Also pictures on your phone.) Small plants have a way of getting BIGGER, just like boys! This will be the best way to choose plants that will not be too close together, or too far apart, as they go on. You can always plant annual flowers in between the plants when they are small if you need a little infill.

If you are not a "gardener", it might be easiest to use the same general design and plants in both beds. I think five basic shrubs would do it. I would put an evergreen plant at the corner, and work your way out from there. Mix evergreen with deciduous shrubs, and it won't look totally bare in winter. Look at some with varigated colored leaves, some that may drop leaves but have colored berries in winter.

The gazebo picture that looks like it was from the store has a netting drape on it already. If you bought it as in the picture, no need for more drapes. If you wanted to "dress it up" for summer, you could always find wide colorful ribbon to use as tiebacks. Can you hang a candle lantern or candelabra from the center?

The furniture you choose really depends on how you use the gazebo. Do you eat out there, or is it a shady lounge space? In general, I am a big fan of classic styled wood furniture. Cushions can always be changed as outdoor styles and colors change. If cared for, stained wood furniture lasts a looooong time. Buy the best quality you can afford, take care of it (store inside in winter if you can, if not, stash it under the gazebo and cover with a olive green tarp, which is less of a winter eyesore!) You can always mix in an inexpensive brightly colored metal piece or two for fun (coffee table, side tables).
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am so grateful for all of your wonderful suggestions! I hope that if i put some plants in it will make a difference but I am a bit nervous about continuing to "dump" more money into the area in hopes that I will eventually like the area...We spent quite a bit if money on the gazebo (it is from Costco if you want to check it out)...I think it is the formality of the structure (maybe from the ?thick legs of the gazebo) that I am uncomfortable with...I am still in the contemplation phase...wondering if I should keep it, exchange it for a gazebo with skinner legs (which is considerably cheaper) or go with something different like a pergola...What do you think? Thanks for all your help (...and patience!)
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The gazebo in the picture from the store is the other gazebo we were considering...it has much skinner legs!
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    You made a good choice. The yard is so large that anything else would have looked flimsy and cheap. So, back to the drape thing....if you have mosquitoes or other bugs, do the netting. You can lounge on your couch and watch the boys run around the yard in non-biting comfort. Beautiful yards are built over time. Just consider this your first step. You can always add that pretty flowering ornamental tree on the back right hand side of the patio later. :)
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all your help nwduck! You have been a huge help! I'll keep you posted! Would love to hear from you again if you think of anything else or find any inspiring photos! Cheers!
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey! Look what I found! It is my gazebo!
    http://houzz.com/photos/211774
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    I am totally picturing you on the couch. Look how snazzy THAT is! I am glad you feel I could help. Just make a few changes for "you" (for me, that's plants and some flowers in summer with a glass of wine at the end of the day). Enjoy your children. They are the real beauty of your life. Best wishes.
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think of resin furniture?
    http://houzz.com/photos/402390
  • Kelsea Rippy
    10 years ago
    I have resin furniture now and I wouldn't choose any other material for outside. It doesn't fade like plastic, splinter like wood, or rust like metal. LOVE it.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    I think this depends on the look you like, how much you want to invest, the environment, and how you care for it (as with so many things). I have wood furniture that I've owned for 20 years with nary a splinter. I just give it a little stain every 5 years or so. I love the woven look, but I live with 12 100' Douglas fir trees that shed needles. Every Single Day. I would be driven crazy picking them out of the weave. I'm already crazy vacuuming them inside.:)
  • Kelsea Rippy
    10 years ago
    This is very true @nwduck. I live in the Charleston, SC area and with our high humidity and strong sun, wood doesn't work down here no matter the care taken. The expansion and shrinkage ruined our wood sets but wood can be very nice