Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate2carey

What 0 Maintenance 4 Craftsman Curb Appeal? Elderly owner, w/Photos!

kate2carey
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Argh! Need income from this remodeled 1st floor, yet owner/informal partner cannot (will not) maintain yard. Yes, I remodeled & furnished the inside, painted, cleared out weeds and laid out black cover.

Stubborn, now he insists on putting a low storage shed for his new electric bike below the left side of the porch, just by 2nd level of stairs. Hard-scape seems the way to go, yet I need help figuring out the best and least expensive materials & design. The only nice feature is set of Japanese Maples on upper yard level. So... Pebbles & stepping stones? Trellis on either side? Concrete? What is most economical & easy? (See other "before"

views...)

So...I’m not on site right now, but will fly back from NY to Pacific NW to get it done as soon as I get the plan. (I had to move from the area prior to completion, but do know the owner will cooperate IF I have a simple plan.) The current tenant sent photos of how overgrown it has become and now, of course, I will struggle to get new tenant(s). (Yes, I get part of the rental income and I need it more than he does, of course!) Help me please.

(Below is all white-washed now, as first photo shows. Left side of steps is flat area w/temporary stepping stones to new concrete & permeable paver driveway. BTW, love the permeables!)

Permeable Pavers

Comments (14)

• BJ
    4 years ago

What about spreading junipers and/or forsythia bushes?

kate2carey thanked BJ
  • acm
    4 years ago

s/he wants suggestions for low/no-maintenance landscaping for this front yard.

kate2carey thanked acm
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Budget permitting, recreate that front retaining wall so you don't need to weed between stones as dirt and seed land there. Have the stones tossed just behind where the wall is now located (so you can use them to fill in your yard), and replace the stone wall with a concrete block wall.

Once put the stones behind that wall and then the disturbed dirt and smooth and level up the yard as much as possible.

If you add concrete (or pavers) with the top ground level next to your house and steps -- all around it -- with the objective of having a place for a mower wheel to set so you can mow all the grass without any hand trimming needed against the house, that will be a time/work saver. You can then plant a slow growing, low growing grass that thrives in your planting zone and have a front yard that will look good with minimum work or expense.

If you don't want a totally bare yard, either leave the two shrubs/trees that are there already or plant a pair of your favorite shrubs -- one on each side of the steps near the corner.

kate2carey thanked suezbell
  • kate2carey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea re: putting in retaining wall. BTW, thank you for acknowledging my challenge. On another post I was told he needed greater purpose definition, thus thought I'd post reason I need low-maintenance. I AM considering building something that might hide the storage shed in front of the porch. I probably need a great local landscaper! Your ideas are great! Thanks!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

What landscaping the property lacks most in order to look finished is some kind of a tree. Because the buildings are tight, there is only room for a skinny one at the right side. Other than that, what renters hope for most is that things look well maintained and are functional. It looks like there is need for some painting.

kate2carey thanked Yardvaark
  • kate2carey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Putting pavers around edges is a great idea. ...makes sense, yet still need to cover the ground/weeds with additional hard material, maybe more like in a Tucson or Colorado area. I love having grass and need to check in to see if slow-growing could work. i assume I'd have to get in a pro to deal with ensuring that weeds do not overtake again.. Yes, I like the skinny tree idea too. ...Not sure what needs paint, as I already painted the entire house, door, window frames and stairs black, white and charcoal gray. Excellent ideas re: moving rocks and leveling. Thanks again!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

In the photos here (the information we have) there is plenty of paint off of steps and porch posts. I guess we don't have the updated information.

kate2carey thanked Yardvaark
  • kate2carey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry. The very first photo shows new white paint vs. horrific look I had to live with far too long!!! :) Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate your time and suggestions. Yes, I can't wait to select a little tree! :)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

The owner needs a once-a-month gardener to keep it looking nice. If it is not paved over, the weeds will enthusiastically grow right back.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

There are weed and feed products that available at the garden centers of big box stores. Take some time to read the labels to see which products do both at the same time.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Is the house located in the PNW? Looks like it could be in any one of various older Seattle neighborhoods....very typical style :-)

If that is the case, maybe look for some regional input. Don't do anything with the rock wall....that is also extremely typical to the setting and the cost to replace would be exorbitant!! Generally, these boulder/rock retaining walls are filled with a variety of low maintenance, easy care evergreen rockery plants that bloom in spring in a variety of colors. Weeds there tend to be a non-issue unless neglected for months on end. You just need to thoroughly clean out any weeds from the planting beds (NO weed and feed - that is only for lawns and is highly discouraged here due to pollution) and add low growing broadleaved evergreen shrubs and/or groundcovers. These will be the lowest maintenance garden enhancements and you are not short of dozens of possibilities for this area. All local nurseries will carry a wide selection and year round. If not including groundcovers, mulch to keep weeds to a minimum and use a pre-emergent like Preen to reduce their occurrence even further.

I don't understand where the new proposed hardscaping/bike storage shed is to be or where the second set of steps are. Can you post photos that illustrate these?

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Weeds find a way to grow in mulch or stone. Pay some neighbor teen to add weed and feed and mow the grass once a month instead.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If that single story gray building with one front window is the "shed", you could have all the dirt removed from in front of it down as far as to be level with the foundation of the building and then pave a driveway to it with a wall between it and the front yard but with steps leading down to it from the front sidewalk at the bottom of the front steps. Remove the window and add a garage door. That would be a practical reason to pave over part of the front yard.

• BJ
    4 years ago

There are some good looking artificial grasses available. Probably no more expensive than trees and bushes.