Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsully21

Hip or Gable roof dilemma . . renderings attached . . .

Ronny
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

These renderings are an attempt to capture the contemporary home from the street view. The home sits up slightly from the street. Trying to decide decide if a gable roof stands too tall and if the hip is a better look.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Don't judge a house by a singular view.

• User
    4 years ago

hip looks better at this angle

• worthy
    4 years ago

The computer program strikes me as off--the garage from the perspective of a giant while above that is a toddler's viewpoint.

Try walking some real streets.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Using the program that generated the two perspectives, double the distance of the view point to the house.

And insure the view point is set to the height of a normal human being.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Hip looks best.

• User
    4 years ago

Try a view of the corner of the house. Also an aerial view.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

From these renderings, definitely the hip.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Based on what we can see, I recommend painting the garage doors to match the garage wall finish.

Why call attention to the doors?

• Ronny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Virgil - thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Not settled on siding materials yet, but just started framing and need to figure those item out in the next 10 days or so. I am working as my own GC so I have some flexibility.

• Ronny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

view from NW corner . . . .

• User
    4 years ago

definitely hip. the Greek front facing gable is not working

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

The upper level column supported by a cantilevered deck is visually disturbing.

• User
    4 years ago

butterfly roof is more contemporary for sure but I think a flat roof would look better :-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Roof style should have been decided long before now but the hip if theses are the only choices I much prefer a flat roof with a contemporary house. I sure hope you have some experience under your belt as GC because it does not sound like you have all of your ducks in a row.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Am I to assume you're building in a flood zone?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

What country and location is this site?

• BT
    4 years ago

Floating cantilevered upper deck supporting the roof looks frightening.... And the load distributed to the foundation ...how exactly?

And the lower deck is not much better.

• Ronny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL - I can see why you would say that based on the rendering - I am not great at using the software - but the overhang is just 2' and the project has been engineered. Lots of big glue-lams!

• BT
    4 years ago

Are you sure, did the engineer ok'd this? This point load where arrow is looks bad, momentums looks very suspects.... Hard to believe that it is only 2'. On the picture above, even if the roof load distributed the floor below wall, it is above the glass door...

> Lots of big glue-lams

They better be pressure treated glulams. (IMHO Steel needed). Just hard for me to believe that you do not need a steel columns.

• Ronny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ahh - thought you were referring to the upper deck. That is a 4' overhang but for some reason, my deck posts are in the wrong spot on the rendering - supposed to be 1' from the corner . . .

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Well...if construction matches the renderings you have some significant structural issues, which hopefully are addressed by your structural engineer.

• gerald roman
    4 years ago

Needs front elevated flat roof plane sloped down to the rear.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

"...front elevated flat roof plane sloped down..."

Er...would that be a roof or a driveway...?

• onewingstudio
    4 years ago

Cantilevered deck aside, The HIP roof is best from a street view. The Gable looks like a leftover from a renovation... Outdated. Good luck!

• User
    4 years ago

Hip

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The main difference to me is one looks more traditional...and the other more modern/contemporary...in general this feels like you are in the beginning stages in any case...but I would strive for at least 10’ ceilings on the third floor if possible..for drama and a feeling of spaciousness

• Ryan Keener
    4 years ago

To stick by the desire for a contemporary design, either a hip roof or a single plane "shed" style roof with the higher side on the eastern end of the home. Add some clerestory windows to take advantage of the morning light and provide ventilation. Enough has been said about the deck arrangements, but why put your decks on the public face of the home just off the street?

• Ronny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Deck is in that location because of views to the west / SW -