Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janagalewski

Pottery Barn Toscana Pedestal table review?

jflash G
4 years ago

I am looking for a round pedestal table for my dining area and really like the size of the PB Toscana extending pedestal table. I was wondering if anyone has this and has a review on the base, whether it is in the way when pulling chairs in? It looks like 4 chairs fits the best (which is fine since we have a family of 4) but just wondering if I should go with a true pedestal instead? Also when it is extended how many chairs can comfortably fit around it without the table legs getting in the way? Thanks!

Link: PB Toscana table

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

IMO those legs will always be an issue and a simple pedestal is still a better choice and there are lots of them in different sizes . I would also look for wood that comes from NA instead since wood from tropical areas is sometimes not a good choice.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Patricia thanks for your comment! I actually ended up buying the table. The legs actually don’t really get in the way, we would usually have 4 chairs but there is actually enough room for a person even at the table legs. I really like the table, and extended it is quite large! Now I am trying to decide what chairs... the chairs I have are old spray painted ones, and I think are too busy at the base. I’m considering some upholstered parsons chairs.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Images added

• PRO
    Embellishments Design Studio
    3 years ago

How is the finish holding up for you on this table? Any issues with it scratching excessively too?

• Kate Truong
    3 years ago

@jflash G How is your Toscana table holding up? I am about to buy the large rectangular one. I am wondering if the surface gets scratched easily since it is made of sungkai wood veneer.

• Illie
    3 years ago

I had this table. The top scratched, chipped and flaked easily. The base was in almost perfect condition. It did receive some abuse as it was in a main area where the kids did schoolwork.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We’ve had the table a year and have a 6 and 8 year old. We eat multiple times a day at the table and there are a few small scratches but we also use placemats and I am careful about putting stuff directly on the table(which seems high maintenance but isn’t a big deal). It still looks brand new to me unless I really get down and look. I think it would wear more if we didn’t use mats. I absolutely love the table and while it isn’t an Amish made solid hard wood table I think it will last a long time. I was worried I wouldn’t like the veneer but I don’t even notice it. It is a heavy sturdy table. We haven’t had any flaking or chipping. My kids are old enough to see how crazy I was about letting anything touch the surface in the first few weeks of having it that they surprisingly are really good at using the placements too. Those are my random thoughts ☺️

• jflash G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I didn’t see the questions from earlier this year until I was tagged!

• jflash G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As a side note I think this table would probably scratch easily. I just haven’t tried 😆.

• Karen Couf-Cohen
    3 years ago

has anyone gotten the toscana extending table and if so any words of advice?

• Maria Krauss
    2 years ago

I am looking at this table also, did you get it, do you like it

• jflash G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have had this table for a few years. I love it. We use it daily and there are a few scratches but it still looks really nice. I really like the size for our space and with the extensions it is a pretty large table. It is very sturdy and heavy and I felt like the price wasn’t all that bad for PB. We do use placemats.

• Anne Duke
    2 years ago

With any of these asian woods, give it a good paste wax before using, or as close as possible. This will help prevent those pesky scratches that can’t be buffed out. Follow up periodically.

• nhb22
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Anne Duke - What type of wax would you use, and can it be used on a dark color like gray?

• Jamie
    2 years ago

Following

• Jan VanMeter
    last year

We've had the table for about 3-4 years now and love it. We don't have any issue with the legs getting in the way. We've have 6 -8 people seated when it was extended without a problem.

It's a large 54" round so plenty of space for food and place settings.

The wood is wearing very well and looks just as good as the day we got it. I've gotten many compliments on it.

• Michelle Vaughn
    last year

Just got this table and ... it looks nice, and seems sturdy but the surface of the table is weird and very rough. The look is "rustic" and that's fine... but who wants a super rough table top with deep grooves? I feel like it is going to scratch easily and it's definitely going to be difficult to keep clean since the top is so, so rough. I have not decided if I am going to keep it or not.

• Janice VanMeter
    last year
    last modified: last year

Michelle Vaughn, ours is the same way. I went on Etsy and had a clear plastic table cover made for it. Not how I wanted to display it, however it works for keeping it clean.

• Michelle Vaughn
    last year
    last modified: last year

An update to the above. The pottery barn website states (in the Q&A section) that the table top is smooth. Mine most definitely wasn't. Pottery barn has said they will refund me (including the shipping). It's so weird because other pictures online seem like the top is clearly smooth. I wonder if something changed about the finish??. I thought the legs might get in the way but they really didn;t and when extended six chairs easily fit. Anyways the table was basically perfect in every way... except that horrible, rough, plasticky, weird, sandpaper-rough finish on the top. If the top finish was normal it would be an awesome table. Sturdy and looked great. Oh well.