Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355455106

floor debacle. should woods all match?

ayleen b
4 years ago
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>It’s been 4 months since we bought our home and I can’t figure out what I want to do with the flooring in our main living spaces. We currently have a slate foyer, with oak strip hardwood in the dining room and office than flank it (with framed openings - no doors), and then it leads into a carpeted formal living and family room just beyond that. From the front door to the rear French doors is about 50’, with the total sf of the rooms in question being about 1700sf. I definitely need to replace the carpet but I’m torn on what to do. New wood? Match the current woods? Wood look tile? Make the foyer a little different? (Ha. My husband is dying for a checkerboard foyer but that’s not in the cards for me. The best I can do that’s a compromise would be a wood/tile pattern like the photo below)

I’m not crazy about the existing wood’s color but I could refinish to “match” new? I definitely don’t want the “new” wood to be such a thin strip, so would it look too choppy to then have the other areas in a different width? We are thinking of doing a wood/tile pattern for the foyer and then wood the rest so these two rooms would have a clear separation from the other areas and wouldn’t necessarily be butting up to a completely solid (different) hardwood, but I’m still concerned too many different woods would just look silly.

Our house is a large traditional red brick home and We want to keep the house traditional, warm with an inviting but slightly more formal feel, if that makes sense.

Comments (17)

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More photos of current situation

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pics

• mainenell
    4 years ago

Large traditional brick home usually would have traditional narrow strip flooring, IMO. What year is your home? The other thing is very old, very wide boards. 10-12”.

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

House is 1972. Not super old. But a wide (100’) red brick, white shutters house.

• latifolia
    4 years ago

Keep the slate, match the wood and refinish to your preferred color.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Ditto .

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

As above. Keep the slate, match the wood (width, cut, species) and then refinish all the wood in the colour you WANT to have. It is the COLOUR that will offer a more formal look.

And if you want formal, go ahead and put the french doors BACK into the home. They probably separated the formal living room from the family room.

Photos of the kitchen would be REALLY helpful.

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There were never doors between the rooms. We have a huge lot with a beautiful golf course view so the openness is one of our favorite features....though the two rooms without separation are a furniture challenge. The chesterfield set up is staying as is. The rear room will be reworked furniture-wise once floor is set. All of the Roman shades will be removed as well.

This is the kitchen. We are replacing the floor with tile and countertops with quartzite.

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. I think the hardest part of this is stepping outside of the (slightly easy) white farmhouse-y look like I did with our last house. We fell in love with this house though we weren’t even in the market to move and it wasn’t the style we thought we wanted. It just gave us all the right feels. I want to keep its integrity and not go with what’s trendy... guess that’s why it’s challenging me. This is a “forever” home so I’m trying to make sure I think classic and long term with it. With 3600sf living space redoing it in 5 years when trends change again is just not going to be in the budget if ya know what I mean! It’s taken me a month to pick paint colors for bedrooms because I’m being so cautious.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I agree with putting the same hardwoods throughout. They're classic and will never go out of style. Put them in the kitchen as well. Keep the color mid toned brown and you'll have floors that will stand the test of time.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Yet another vote for the slate/harddware combo. Definitely no wood look tiles anywhere.

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m surprised at all the love for the slate! It’ll definitely save some of my budget to keep it! :)

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I feel like the hardwoods in the kitchen don’t go well with the cherry cabinets? I then have that huge hickory unit in the living room so I just wonder what hardwood color I could place throughout that would work with all of it? I definitely do not like the orange tone of the dining and office floor. The kitchen is yet another type, more of a brown with some red to it and a wider plank. A lot of them are hollow and lifting so we do plan on removing all of that anyways. Honestly at this point I’m thinking maybe I should remove the dining and office floors and just start all from scratch rather than buy new and then refinish all of that. I’m a little scared of the refinishing mess!! Would love any hardwood color suggestions. The sturdier the better too as we have very active dogs!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

It looks like you are on a slab so these are older engineered floors? If so I would replace all with an engineered wood in a medium ‘nutty’ tone. Oak is classic, cheap, and wears well. A tone like ‘provincial’ or ‘walnut’ usually works with all furniture.

Love the slate foyer.

• ayleen b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes on a slab. They are solid hardwood, about 30 years old.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Love the slate in the foyer. I like the hardwood and the color of it too. Its a classic look. I would also want the same in the kitchen. However, you can change out the color, so they all match. The flooring in your kitchen looks good with your dark cherry cabinets.