Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdaustin

Small House Living Room Layout Challenges

kdaustin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all! We are in the process of remodeling in a small 1940 house. The front door opens directly into the living room, and the living room is long and narrow up to the kitchen. In the future, we will be knocking down the kitchen wall and probably converting it to counter space. We'd also like to add builtins somewhere to get some extra storage space in this room.

We are looking for a new couch (the couch pictured is incredibly deep), and are not married to any of our other furniture as we got it all second-hand to serve in the temporary.

Right now, with the way we have it laid out, it feels like all the furniture is shoved over to one side of an alley. It seems like we could better utilize the space where the couch is (and it looks like it used to be a fireplace there), but I can't imagine moving the couch to the other side and opening the door right into the couch.

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated!! We are stuck.

Comments (18)

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Your furniture doesn't look bad at all. If it's comfortable, don't be in a rush to get rid of it unless and until you find something you really want more. Your room is welcoming in no small part because it is absent clutter. For that reason, adding storage is probably a good idea.

Like that you have live plants. They may need the light of your window -- great natural light there.

Matching modern ceiling fan lights for both the sitting and dining space would be worth considering.

One problem you might encounter is your rug arrangement. You might find that your rug wears more along the traffic path. If and when you replace your rug, you might want to consider a rug for your sitting area and a separate but matching or coordinating runner rug for your high traffic path -- if you put any rug at all there.

If you have a long narrow living room with the front door in it, your best option is going to be put your tv stand and console and other one foot deep stuff -- bookcases, etc ., against the wall on the door side and keep a corridor clear between that and your furnishings. That foot deep area along that one wall could be the place to hang your tv and to add some floor to ceiling and wall to wall (or to edge of open door) storage all around it -- some lower shelving with doors and some upper shelving that is either open and/or has glass doors. These could be used for bookshelves and/or media related items and/or as a curio cabinet and/or displaying family photographs or other family treasures . Those cabinets or shelving closer to the kitchen/dining areas could be used to store large serving items you use only occasionally.

If and when you open up your rooms, first be certain that the wall you're considering moving is not a weight bearing wall. Then consider saving half the wall both for the electrical outlets and because you might well be able to turn it into a base cabinet accessible from both sides of the open area. Additionally, you might find decorating easier if you have a wall against which to place furnishings, especially in a small space.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Cute pooch, too. You might consider a cabinet by the windows that could serve as both a plant stand and a pooch bed.

• Devin Darnell
    4 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5796065/help-with-living-and-dining-room-layout-please

Suezbell, can you weigh in on my small living/dining room area?

• Devin Darnell
    4 years ago

I like this living room by the way!!

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    4 years ago

In order to make this room look more settled, you may want to put sheers and curtains on the windows. If you paint the walls a very light beige, that will warm the place up as well as give it some grounding. (For a seamless room look, get the curtains in the same color as the walls.) Trade or sell plants in for ones that go up to the ceiling. Go big or go home! You have vertical space - take advantage of it. Get wall decor from a local artist, or art.com. Measure twice, buy once! Regarding layout, the one you have now is fine. One change - bring the couch forward 6 inches and put a narrow table back there. Put mementos, books, etc. that are important to you. Don't fill your space with anything until you find pieces you love. Lighting: Ceiling lights do favors to no one. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height. Builtins are good - put at either side of the tv. Please keep us updated!

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I agree with suezbell - this is a very nice, inviting space and I actually like the furniture. I think having the chairs on the angle as you do really helps. Your pooch seems to really love the couch. Would you be able to rearrange the couch and chairs to face each other? Put the chairs in front of the window. Back the couch up to a shorter/open room divider that extends out from the wall where it bumps in, and have storage open up to the dining space. Turn your table perpindicular and put the short end on the wall.

Kentfield Contemporary · More Info

310 Rambler · More Info

I do like the current open setup but that would give you some definition and storage that you need. I also have had great luck with the IKEA Pax cabinets to reorganize my mudroom. Maybe one on the wall behind your front door (13" deep) could help with coats, jackets etc.) if that's the way you come in.

• Rachel Lee
    4 years ago

Honestly, you mention it looking like a long alley, but that is what it is. You have the furniture arranged to accommodate traffic in the most logical way, so I’d leave it be. Some nice drapes would soften the space, and you could add color, texture, or both with pillows and art.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The room looks great. I think you have the furniture arrangement right, though I don't like that you have a traffic lane in front of the TV. But, that's generally the only thing you can do in these little old bungalows.

The only thing I would do here is either get a smaller rug, or pull this one back about 2 1/2 feet, if possible to leave a lane of wood floor in front of the TV stand.

• kdaustin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all SO much for your comments! It’s really nice to hear all of the perspectives. We want to make sure we have our arrangement right before we invested in adding to it, so it’s really nice to hear all of the ideas. I didn’t really expect so many responses but this is wonderful! We will try some things and keep the thread updated :)

• happyleg
    4 years ago

This reminds me of my mom's place. She had a chair at window & pull in a little towards coffee table. End tables on each side of couch with lamps.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I agree, the couch is really deep. Have you considered moving the TV to the sofa wall and using a slimmer couch facing the TV, perpendicular to the wall between the window and door. This would leave the traffic route open behind the sofa. Move the two chairs to flank the TV or face each other over the coffee table. Then put a gallery wall on the current TV wall. This chart gives the viewing distance you'd need for your TV size.

• Colleen
    4 years ago

After leaving the rug out for an hour or so I see it’s white relaxed and can be sloppy looking with the type of fabric it is. Th inking this is going back also. I’ve had 4 rugs in and out of my living room sat-Sunday. I’m not having fun! Lol

• Colleen
    4 years ago

Apologies...this message was not meant for this page. Lovely room btw!

• Devin Darnell
    4 years ago

Testingkerry.... Have you made any changes?.... Share if so!

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

@kdaustin, we have tried to mockup your room with minor modifications. Styled in Scandinavian this layout has more emphasis on the seating area. the seating arrangement is socio petal which makes inviting gesture to anyone entering the room. Grey sofa looks just fine but does not hesitate to play around with bolder color here. ample space available to have large screen TV with storage around if you are looking for storage in this room. A separate dining space is created around the corner near the window.

We have created more layout for your room where we have used room separator and created a cozy rather welcoming space to watch TV it also has a secondary conversation area which you can view here. You can also view this room in a 360 photorealistic view here. You can add or replace furniture and move them around to create your own layouts in interactive 3D designs here and also render your own photorealistic images!

Do let us know your feedback on designs we are happy to collaborate and make the perfect designs for your room.

Happy decorating !!

• Donald
    4 years ago

If your house has a natural “hallway”, a path you and the vast majority of people would use from the front to the back of the house, don’t fight it, don’t try to detour people too much, because it will always give off a feeling of awkwardness.