Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allioopjc

Do baseboards require caulking?

allioopjc
4 years ago
I am currently obtaining estimates to paint areas in my home. We recently installed new hardwood floors throughout the home. One painter insists that we caulk the baseboards before he paints. May just be thinking he was going to charge me more to add that. I like the crisp look of the white baseboards. We have had caulked and not caulked in other homes. I hate how difficult it is to keep the caulking looking clean and dust free and have found that caulking (esp. if not done well) makes painting more difficult. My question is, is it necessary to caulk in areas free of water? If so, what is the reason for this necessity? Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I have never seen wood trim that didn't require caulking. We're not talking about a GIANT BEAD OF CAULK, but caulk used to fill the gaps on wavy walls and joints that don't fit precisely. Whet's your plan? Fill the gaps with paint?.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO caulking just gives a nice clean look and not any harder to keep clean than anything else.

• Mary Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I would want the details on exactly which caulk he plans to use. A tube of cheap DAP, or anything similar, will dry out and pull away within a year. Especially if it's done right next to raw wood trim.

PPG's Top Gun 400 is the best I've found.

https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/adhesives-sealants/top-gun-400

There is a certain amount of time between when it's applied and when it can be painted.

When done correctly, everything it easier to keep clean.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    4 years ago

Are you talking about caulking the baseboard where it contacts the wall, joints or the shoe contacts the baseboard or, are you asking about the gap between the baseboard and the hardwood flooring. The former should always be done, but I would not caulk the baseboard to the floor.

• allioopjc
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First...we did not plan to fill it with anything other than caulk. We have always done the painting ourselves in the past so first experience dealing with a professional.
    So should the cost include caulking or is that a separate line item?
    Of course I was referring to the wall, not the floor.
    Thanks for some positive and constructive feedback.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    4 years ago

I would always advise to have this caulking/prep process described within the painting quotation. You want to avoid a situation where the painter has assumed that this will be done by you and they only have to paint. Painting is painting and prep work is a separate additional task.

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Caulking is part of a complete paint job. The task should be listed as part of the scope of work but would not be charged separately. You should have a complete price for the project and the painter should describe his plans and set the expectations for the results. Clarify with him who moves furniture, hangs pictures and puts up window treatments after the painting. Discuss your expectations for the amount of patching and prep work before the contract is signed. Discuss what will be removed and what will be painted around like thermostats, window hardware, switchplate covers, and wall sconces. If you have not used a professional painter before, dont be afraid to ask questions. There is not a single standard for what is included and what extra charges might be incurred, so just ask first.