Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocotini_hartman

kitchen help, please! cherry and rainforest to ??????

Cocotini Hartman
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are thinking of buying this house as it has most things that we want in it. However, I am having a hard time with the kitchen. My husband absolutely loves it- especially the rainforest marble countertops. Me? Not so much. I appreciate the beauty of the marble as it is quite striking. but I envisioned my kitchen as light, bright and airy. So, since my husband does cook along with me, I want to make him happy, too. The cabinets are cherry, and too modern for me. I am thinking of changing the doors to a shaker style, leaving the drawers plain and painting everything dove white. Changing the glass tops to clear (design?) instead of the funky fluted glass. Ripping out the brown tile and replacing with either a plain subway in a color to blend with the cabinets, or a soft green. Should I also rip out the stove backsplash and just run the subway everywhere? I think the stove backsplash is rainforest sections. I don't think I can pull up the rainforest 4 inch backsplash as it would possibly damage the countertops. Replace hardware with what? Would you leave the island cherry? Or paint everything. Floors are tiger wood. I did see this photo of rainforest with lighter cabinets and it looked very nice.

Comments (28)

• eam44
    4 years ago

OK - here's what I see.

There never should have been tile placed above the 4" bs - especially not brown. Remove both the brown tile and the granite bs everywhere (it shouldn't hurt the granite at all) to be replaced with tile that can bring in some light.

Unfortunately, you've got gorgeous cabinets that you dislike. Consider painting the uppers only - and even this will bring groans from the crowd. The overwhelming wisdom here will tell you to live with it before you do anything, and I would agree - unless you really, really dislike the kitchen (I would pull out the bs behind the stove before I moved in - it bugs me that much. If you feel the same, don't listen to us, just do what you need to do). Shaker doors are not going to add much either way and the slab door is super traditional.

A lot of things combine to make the space look modern, but some of those are easily changeable. Change the lighting and that glass vent hood out for more traditional choices and your whole space will look more traditional. You needn't change the doors. Change the door/drawer pulls if these are too modern for you.

Cocotini Hartman thanked eam44
  • aprilneverends
    4 years ago

I thought Rainforest is granite?

Anyway agree with other commenters. Actually wouldn't paint at all..but if you can't stand them, and for example do only uppers..probably wouldn't do white. Too stark. Even creamier white. Would look for a color. Something found in the granite. The granite does live up to its name..one doesn't want to go against it, wants to embrace and revel in its glory so to say

(btw it's one of my DH's favorite stones too. This one. Rainforest. So I can easily see myself in your shoes..)

Backsplash..frankly, lazy me would leave as is, even though it's my pet peeve too-two backsplashes..but if going to change-yes better to change allover. Some sort of light green glossy ceramic tile ? Greens are really pretty. I'd have fun choosing it.

Agree also about hardware and lighting. The fixtures are very industrial, the handles very streamlined. Address that-and you'll get a lot of the character you want to get.

Cocotini Hartman thanked aprilneverends
  • herbflavor
    4 years ago

plan a change in hardware style and a softer whitish counter and backsplash and you easily have a transitional kitchen. cherry is traditional...the slab door style you likely think is modern ….but the material and stain with some different details will move this away from so modern. I'd leave the cabinets as is and start looking for hardware, counter, and backsplash and then new pendants for both areas. You can have a completely different look. But the best, standard advice is to wait 6 mo to a year after occupancy for any undertaking. Its a fine looking space....and obviously completely usable.

Cocotini Hartman thanked herbflavor
  • Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you eam44, I'm glad to know the short bs can be removed without harming the marble. Although the flat front cabinets are fine stained, I do think painted cabinets might look better in a shaker style. so maybe a wood hood instead of metal? And yes, I do think the hardware and lighting needs to be changed, too. Ok- first thing to go would be all the tile and backsplashes!!

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do agree with you, houssaon, the cabinets do look nice. Unfortunately, it's just not my taste as I like light kitchens.

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aprilneverends, RainForest is a serpentine, so technically a marble- but a very hard marble, so I think some places call it granite. So confusing. Anyway, I do need to change the backsplashes- I just don't like brown,lol. I was also thinking that a soft green ceramic tile might be nice. The photo above which has the lighter cabinets with rainforest I believe they said they painted them "lemon ice" or something like that. And it also looks like they used a soft green tile backsplash.

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

herbflavor- thanks for your input, but the counters need to stay. My husband Loves them!!! so I have to work around them. I can certainly change the hardware and lights, though, which will help. Maybe soft gold?

• keith Dcil
    4 years ago

Before painting cabinets I would first replace all the backsplash (4"in and all the tiles - esp behind the stove) with a cream colored subway tile and then replace under counter lighting with bright LED. That may be enough. After that I would replace all the hardware on doors and drawers with black iron traditional.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Its a beautiful kitchen as it is. Since you havent bought the house yet, and you seem to not like anything in the kitchen, maybe you should just keep looking, and leave that house for someone who will be very happy to have that kitchen. What you are talking of doing is going to cost a substantial amount of dollars, and somehow, even with all the changes, I dont think you are going to like that kitchen. The floors you are talking about removing are gorgeous, and are usually quite expensive.

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cat_ky- hmmmm... I never said anything about changing the floors. I think they are quite stunning. I really like the rest of the house and my husband loves the kitchen. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the kitchen a bit more light and airy and not quite so modern looking. I"ll change out the backspashes first, plus hardware and lights and see how I feel after that.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I would keep looking if you really don't like this kitchen. What you are proposing will just ruin that kitchen and I don't even like wood cabinets.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Disagree with Anglo. There are a million things you can do to improve the space and turn it into a kitchen you will love. That’s how most of the PROs in the field make their livings, removing one perfectly fine kitchen and installing another, more to their customer’s liking. The question is, do you make big changes (new cabinets) or a bunch of little ones. The answer will lie partly in your budget. How much are you thinking you can spend on this effort?

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks eam44, I was a bit taken aback by Anglo's comment. But I did ask for opinions... The house has been for sale for a good while and much of the feedback has been that the kitchen is too dark. I should mention this house is at the coast. Budget is pretty healthy, so I can redo it (within reason-lol)

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Yep, there is a LOT going on in there. Your instinct to simplify that backsplash is a good one, and I like your idea about the soft green. The brown tile was just a bad choice with the reddish wood.

This is kind of random, but something I’ve noticed a lot lately, and it’s adding to the busy-ness in your kitchen. The current trend of curved front fridges makes more pattern and clutter, IMO. I’m not suggesting you swap out the fridge, and I suspect it’s most evident in these kinds of photos—lights at full blast and with the wide angle lense.

Maybe go over there in person and tweak the lights a bit and take a few pics of your own to scribble on. I think there’s plenty to love in this kitchen, and you’ll do well by editing the palette a bit ;-)

Cocotini Hartman thanked scottie mom
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

First live in it for a while before spending any money other than new LED light bulbs in 4000K that all be itself will brighten up the space . I happen to think cherry cabinets have always been bad so I get wanting the change but refacing costa as much as new cabinets or pretty close so IMO make sure you love everything about the layout before touching anything.I dislike corner sinks and raised bars so already I would be displeased with the layout.

Cocotini Hartman thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • eam44
    4 years ago

I know you’re not in the home yet. Can you sketch out the space?

• salonva
    4 years ago

I think changing the lighting will work wonders for you (both the quality of the light and of course the style). That combined with changing (or even to get an idea just tape up light paper on the backsplash to see how much lighter it will make the area) would be key.

I also agree about the hardware, and because I fret by nature, I will share that I am concerned that some of the super long pulls on the drawers may be hard to find in more traditional styles (the size I mean) but I haven't looked so just throwing that out there.

It is a great kitchen but I understand you also think it's great; just not your preference.

Cocotini Hartman thanked salonva
  • Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for your input scottie mom- it is very busy in there!!

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patricia Colwell- I don't like the raised bar or corner sink either- but since I am trying to work around the rainforest marble which my hubby loves I was planning on leaving them. However, now that you point out looking at the whole layout- I just noticed the dishwasher is not even next to the sink (I'm guessing that's because the sink is in the corner and the dishwasher front would not clear?). And what's with a toaster oven just sitting in a cubby. I thought that was a fire hazard. Oh my- this may call for a whole kitchen redo. Sorry, hubby, the rainforest granite may have to go-lol.

• eam44
    4 years ago

No worries, Scottie. These are 8" pulls from Rejuvenation. Most of them are available in 12" as well.

I must say the stone makes me think you should consider a retrofit copper farmhouse sink from Rachiele... And I second the opinion that the dishwasher should be moved!

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

eam44- next time I go I will sketch it out. It will be a second home at the coast so I am not there right now.

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

salonva- that was my concern about the hardware, too. What kind of lighting do you think would look better?

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

eam44- just saw your last post- we must have been writing at the same time. Good to know there are are more traditional looking pulls in long sizes! And I love the sink as I was thinking of a farmhouse style, but looking at the space I don't think it would work in the corner. So unless hubby lets me rip up the rainforest counter I have to leave the sink where it is. Can't believe they put the dishwasher so far from the sink!! I need to really analyze the whole kitchen when I get back there.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I didnt want to say it- but not having the dishwasher next to sink is a pain. I actually have a corner sink and then a bank of drawers and then the dishwasher. We actually use the dishwasher more as a drip dry area. It's a real pain - not so much the distance but the fact that getting from sink to dishwasher at that angle makes dripdripdrip on the floor. I am changing my layout but I wonder if it might be possible to change the dishwasher with the cabinet next to it- I think it would still open and work.

It really is a beautiful kitchen.

Cocotini Hartman thanked salonva
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen and it’s not even my style. I’d try changing the lights first. It looks very traditional and not very modern in my eyes, white kitchens like your ex. above have been very trendy lately. The one upside of natural wood is it should wear extremely well.

Cocotini Hartman thanked J Williams
  • Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

salonva- I will check the cabinet next to the sink to see if the dishwasher can be moved there. I can see where it could definitely be an issue.

• Cocotini Hartman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

J Williams- I agree the kitchen is very nice, well, if I take out the brown tile which I don't like at all. I have always liked white kitchens, even way before they were trendy. I just find them cheerful. Add to that this house is at the coast and I envision white and aqua blue. But I am starting to think I probably need to live with it awhile before I decide whether I want a totally new kitchen or just change parts of this one.