Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dt516

thoughts on this tile / polished porcelain?

dt516
4 years ago

any thoughts on how well this polished porcelain goes with our blue and beige cabinets?

also the tile seems a bit slippery...anyone have thoughts on whether these tiles are slippery and or hard to keep clean? are we better off with a matte finish?

it's the middle blue and brown tile here http://www.cybeletile.com/product/onyx-smoke/

thanks!

Comments (20)

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

one addendum not sure if this is glossy or polished or just glazed

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

just noticed these are listed as FULL Lappato. Any idea what that is? Is that semi polished?

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

If I were going to put that busy tile on a floor, I'd buy a couple boxes of it and lay it out to see if I liked the effect. As livewireoak notes about the drama, it's likely to look like a big statement on the floor. I'd prefer the floor to be a more mellow backdrop.

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

still wish to hear suggestions about the floor. but for those who don't like it for a floor - what about for the backsplash?

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Here's my thoughts. I'm not a pro--so keep that in mind. Your cabinet choices appear in the photo to be rustic-y. (which I love). So, in my mind, it calls for a somewhat more matte finish flooring...something that looks more authentic and perhaps worn, or something that wears well, and you probably don't want a polished or shiny effect.

Big, dramatic, high contrast stone floors (that give an effect like the one you've chosen), are really quite a "look". I went looking for some examples, and the ones I found, I quite like...but I notice that they're shown with very minimal and neutral, modern furnishings. For example, tile like yours covering a bathroom floor and the walls, and everything else in the bathroom is white or black...so that the tile is the absolute star of the show.

In your case, you have these lovely, statement-y cabinets, and I'd keep the rest pretty simple.

Here's some examples of high contrast, large format flooring I found.

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

how about this slate look?

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

or this travertine?

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I like the travertine look a lot. Both look really nice.

• K R
    4 years ago

Both of those 2 above are very nice and either would work perfectly. Maybe stand on it and see which one you like better.

• shivece
    4 years ago

Not a pro, but I believe floor tiles have a rating re: how slippery they are.

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

alright throwing another one into the mix...this one does have a bit more of a Polish to it.

• Jeanette Marchioni
    4 years ago

It would be good to see your kitchen how it is layed out and your style of furnishings and or fixtures. I like the blue color much better than the wood, but thats my taste, not right or wrong for you. Tile floor can be slippery, whether it be marble or not, unless it has extreme texture. I have 16 inch square tile in my house that has some texture, but if the kids walk in from the pool and water gets on the floor, they can slip and slide easier than you would think. I think that marble will be pretty slick, wet or not. Have you ever been walking in a store and suddenly slip, hopefully not fall, but it catches you off guard? Back in the day almost all department stores were carpeted, everywhere. Changing to tile for walking between departments. {strategic way to control the flow of traffic to expose every department. Like putting the milk at the back of a grocery store so you have to go through the store and raise the possiblity of added purchases} It also raised the amount of customers falling. But tile is easier to keep cleaner than carpet. That was totally off track. Sorry. Bottom line is I would keep flooring simple in pattern no matter what type of flooring you use. and depending on how much is exposed. It might be better used more as a counter top and backsplash. Im sure you will make a good decision. Ps. I like the tile choice color above..

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Look at the specification on the tiles for wet DCOF AcuTest. At minimum you want >0.42, but higher is always better.

Keep in mind not only is polished tile more slippery (and likely doesn't meet standard for a wet area), it also will show every little spec and spot of dirt and drips. Matte finish tile is much easier to live with.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I like the 2 matte, more subtle choices above. I think the one you just posted is going to have a more dramatic, modern look to it.

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

I like them all, but my favorite would be the second one you called slate. It all depends on whether you want a background floor, or a floor with some presence.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    4 years ago

I love how the tile brings in both the blues and the tans of the cabinets. Very modern, which is a huge design trend right now. Along with gold fixtures!

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

framemymirror - thanks! but which tile are you referring to?

also we are open to suggestions of other tiles online. thanks.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Love the slate looking floor. A close second choice for me would be the travertine. Let your beautiful cabinets shine!

• dt516
    Original Author
    4 years ago

any thoughts on this one? it's "semi polished" thought maybe this would be a good in between?