Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Cleaning Penny Round Shower Floor

My new shower will have metallic penny round tile with lighter grout to make it pop. I would usually clean a shower floor with Comet or Softscrub, but I am wondering if that is too harsh for this metallic (porcelain) tile. I don't want to scratch it up. Is Bon Ami more gentle but still effective?

Comments (7)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No abrasives. Ever. No acidic or base cleaners. Ever. No Bon Ami. No Barkerpers Friend. In other words, no typical ”bathroom” cleaners at all. You can only use pH neutral cleaners and a brush as soft as a toothbrush. That’s it. Even scrubbing with that 2x weekly, you can get soap scum buildup if you dont switch to liquid body washes instead of bar soap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Neutral-Floor-Cleaner-Concentrate-128-fl-oz-Vinyl-Floor-Cleaner/3621314

Metallics are high maintenance. The acids used in typical bath cleaners damages it. Penny rounds are high maintenance. They have twice the visible grout as most 2x2 porcelain that is typically used on a shower floor. Metallic pennies are double high maintenance. Some of the newer polyurethane style grouts that don’t need sealing are also contraindicated with the wider grout joints that penny or pebble has. Use a grout with fine aggregate. Like Ultracolor Plus FA.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

Penny tile is so pretty, but the installation difficulty and cleaning issues are why I have never chosen it for a bathroom or shower floor. Could you use it elsewhere or choose another shape in the same color?

Also, look up "penny tile" on this forum and you will see a lot of threads where the homeowner is disappointed with the installation. Your installer needs to know how to install the tile without the sheet borders showing. If you can find a tile pro who can install penny tile without any seams showing, chances are that he/she is a real pro who also knows how to waterproof your shower, which is the thing you should be thinking about right now.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not worried about the installation. I have seen two installation jobs managed by my GC and they were both good. We have also already discussed avoiding the “grid look”.

i am more concerned about how not to scratch it up, but still get it clean.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any reason why PH neutral when the tile is porcelain?

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

So, it is porcelain with a metallic glaze? Does the tile manufacturer have guidance?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Many bath cleaners are acid based. Metallic glazes are damaged by acids. They aren’t great on grout either. Alkalines, like drain cleaners and bleach also damage metallic tile and grout.

Tile is a very durable surface. But all tile should be cleaned with a pH neutral cleaner as the first choice. And it should be cleaned frequently enough to not need the heavy guns of aggressive cleaners. The drains should also be cleaned with an auger frequently enough to prevent hair buildup that leads to people using drain cleaners. And it should be waterproofed, and ventilated correctly, so as to never be tempted to use bleach.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you. Can you recommend a pH neutral tile cleaner that is strong enough to get a shower floor clean ?