Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funcolors

2020 Color of the Year from Benjamin Moore

Lori A. Sawaya
4 years ago

I think it looks prettier in person vs. how it renders online. Also, the chip in the new fandeck doesn't match the chip in the old Color Preview fandeck.

However, color measurements of chips from both fandecks puts First Light right around 10 R (Red Hue Family). So, even tho they don't match, there is some consistency. 10 R is at the end of the Red Hue Family, over near the Yellow-Red Hue Family. Full Colorography here.

It looks like a classic ballet slipper pink also fits in the millennial pink category.

Comments (49)

• K R
    4 years ago

It reminds me of a little girls nursery or 55+ Florida living. Lol

• Abby Mac
    4 years ago

Well, it'll be interesting to see what they do with that one.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Hmmmm think I will pass on that one. Not impressed at all.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I will be passing too. Most pinks fall into the scope of my very least favorite colors. I lived for many years next door to a house painted that color - at least the landscaping was interesting and brought a little relief to the 'blah'.

• Jason S.
    4 years ago

Next time I'm in the market for pink paint, this will be at the top of my list.

• User
    4 years ago

It’s subtle enough that it won’t read as pink in most rooms that aren’t all white. It will just elevate the warmth factor.

• SapphireStitch
    4 years ago

I was just thinking this morning about how much I love pink, how much I love pink with navy, and how much I really want a navy sofa, but at the same time how I really prefer a neutral wall color for the our main living areas. Imagine my surprise when I opened this post expecting the color for 2020 to be yet another gray! :-)

Thanks for posting this, Lori, I'll be checking into this one for sure.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like it! I think it will work in a lot of rooms to be just a little “extra” over the more stark pale gray or white choices.

I used a similar “barely there” pink in this kitchen breakfast area. SW Intimate White. With navy Cambria counters, a pink and navy rug, and plans for a brighter pink banquette cushion once the kids are out of the high chair.

Its less intense in person than the color chip would lead you to believe.

Millennial Makeover · More Info

Millennial Makeover · More Info

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I like it. I used another of these barely there pinks (BM Whitewater Bay) in much of my first floor. Some people mistakenly think it is white.

• Kim Mac
    4 years ago

Have been thinking of painting my craft room a light pink. Love this one!

• Linda
    4 years ago

I apologize for interrupting this thread, but I have a ? For KR: May of 2018 you posted pics of some porcelain wood look tiles you were having installed - I would love to have more information- manufacture, etc. finished pic? Thank you!

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I like it. Funny how some boys and men have do not like pink at all.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think it's gorgeous. Warm and soft without looking "pink". It would look amazing with tans/browns, or grays.

Houzz Tours Krea-Pernille · More Info

Baltimore · More Info

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

It’s soft. I actually was surprised by both BM and SW colors of the year tbjs year . SW Naval seems like it wa snug 7 years ago and has continuef in popularity since . BM I feel like this color is on the decline and it was the hype 3-4 years ago.

i think red is going to may a big come back and maybe this is the start since it’s in the red hue family.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Linda, haha! I never mind when threads take twists and turns - it's how real conversations in real life go!

I installed this tile in a 3 BDR condo. Love it. It's the first thing people comment on when they walk in the door.

It can shift and look a little peachy/pink under certain LED lights.

As you know, all colors are going to shift and change throughout the day. I don't mind the peachy/pink; it's literally just moments here and there.

I only mention it because if you're gonna have a kitchen full of LEDs, for example, it's something to look for when you get a sample of the tile.

• Linda
    4 years ago

Thank you Lori for the information! KR has posted pics of her flooring in a couple threads with reference to where purchased: Padron floors/Fla and name Trinity. I cannot find whether that’s the tile manufacturer or pattern.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

I like it. It might work with my whole Swedish farmhouse thing, although my daughter will want a stronger pink in her room.

Maybe for the laundry room cabs... Dependent on what wallpaper I pick out.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Hmmm:

Maybe?

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Holly I think cabinets in that color would be lovely with an Otomi style wallpaper. Maybe in a soft gray?

Or for a touch of color this would be nice too.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Grey won't work with the rest of the house, which tips much more into warm whites. ;-)

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

You could do a white on cream or blush Otomi. You said Swedish And Otomi is soooo Scandinavian. First thing I thought if ;-)

• PRO
    redesign
    4 years ago

The Cooks Kitchen that color is lovely—well done!

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

pink_peony, you are absolutely right! I have lost all sorts of time perusing Swedish wallpaper sites. :-) I do like the first one you posted, and have been looking at similar styles for my daughter's bedroom.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

The entire palette for this year from Ben Moore is rather Gustavian. I like it. Oh, dear? Does this mean I'm going mainstream? Say it ain't so?

Interestingly, look how close this is to the C2 cabinet color palette that was released about a month ago...

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Looks like the color of silly putty. An anemic pink. Pass

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

For me pink is the last color I would use in home decor maybe one pink sweater

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

That's interesting, Patricia. There are colors I wouldn't use in my own house, but I can't think of any that I haven't seen used by a talented designer.

And while I am NOT a talented designer, I repainted my parents' living room when I was 18. It was cream. It was being repainted. Cream. I was bored. When I ran out of paint, I went down to the paint store and got 2 gallons of a very soft pink almost like this one, here. And did 2 walls in that color. (Mercury Paint, I think it was called "porcelain pink."

Mom nearly had a stroke. Then hung the water color prints her sister had done on it, and lo and behold, they went perfectly. And the pink walls highlighted their 3" wide white museum matts much better than the cream had done. I got to live another day, and that room stayed pink until they sold it. The new buyers did NOT repaint it, as it went perfectly with their sofa.

I do think nearly every color has a place, even if that place isn't MY place. ;-)

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Holly, I'm with you. I don't think there is any colour that can't be used and look phenomenal in the right space. Have you settled on any shades for your new digs?

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Perfect for a unmarried female who has "more than a few" cats.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

SapphireStitch

" Imagine my surprise when I opened this post expecting the color for 2020 to be yet another gray! "

Huh?? There has been exactly ONE gray in the BM Colors of the year, in the last 10 years.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

chi flipper..lmao.

man, so many Pink haters! lol

I think with whites, soft golds/brass, some warm wood, maybe a bit of black and white, it would make a lovely room. Pink, love the wallpaper selections on the last comment

• SapphireStitch
    4 years ago

Chessie, you got me on that one. I obviously don’t pay that much attention to the colors of the year and I was operating under the assumption that since everyone is painting their walls gray (hyperbole!) it must have been reflected in the “colors of the year”. I apologize for besmirching the reputation of BM! :)

Hey, would you please explain to me how you got my username to show up as a link? I see that in posts and I haven’t been able to figure out how it works.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

SapphireStitch LOL. I actually love gray - I have always thought it was the perfect neutral (I hate browns and beiges and tans) so when grays came into favor I was like hallelujah! :-) (But I don't have any gray walls either! )

Anyhoo, just copy/paste the username into the reply box - it will become a link to the user.

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

Not a room in my home I'd use this color....nor on an accent piece either...

I can think it would be great in a prissy home with lots of decor

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    4 years ago

In our previous house I painted our master bathroom a color that I think was called Dusty Rose. It was form Behr. Hard to believe at the time that DH approved, and odd for me as I HATED pink for decades. (I'm one of those eccentric aunts that gives baby gifts in greens and yellows not blue and pink.) But it looked great with my quilt and our mahogany furniture.

The family/sitting room off of it I painted raspberry. Sort of like that dark pink in the berry print Holly posted. This First Light pink is kind of nice but a little too wimpy for me. I've been living in a knotty pine house for 19 years. I am looking forward to bold colors in our new house!

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Hmmm, I thought I had posted a comment, and it's not here. Possibly eaten due to pictures.

Anywho. I think it can work in a number of different instances. The obvious is English Country

The Duchess of Devonshire's Drawing Room. (I do love her ceramic poultry collection on the mantel, but I don't even want to go look at what those went for on Sotheby's

This is a Georgian, but still English.

It can also lean more modern:

And, of course, there is my favorite - Swedish.

Pink is a classic.

Hollybar, to answer your question, probably Palladian or Woodlawn Blue with an as-yet-to-be-determined warm white. (I liked White Down, but my designer is afraid it will go too peach.) Hopefully wallpaper in some of the bedrooms, powder, and laundry. I'm sticking mostly with the warmer Gustavian shades, as in the photo above, rather than the icy ones. I do like Windmill Wings from the Ben Moore palette this year, but I'm not sure it will play well with the other tones, that are not such clear colors.

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

Case in point above...prissy homes with lots of decor

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Do these count as prissy? Is it the turtle or only the mock?

living room · More Info

Houzz Tour | Karolina Modig · More Info

The St. John's Square Showroom by deVOL · More Info

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Tough crowd in here tonight. :-)

Some other options:

A more minimal approach to pink

This one ISN'T pink, but I can actually see this pink working nicely in this room, and reading as a very warm, rosy white:

It's pretty, too, on wainscoting and trim with white walls

And this is probably much to prissy for frostyfootballs, but I can see this soft pink as a nice foil for brighter bedding. I THINK the wall way in the background might actually be a similar color, but it's hard to tell

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tough crowd in here tonight. :-)

haha! Sometimes it is a tough crowd. It's the brutal honesty and authenticity that keeps me coming back. :)

• Chessie
    4 years ago

LOL. Well I wouldn't call these rooms "prissy"; I think some of them look quite lovely. But, even so, I just can't imagine any rooms in my own home that I would want to be pink - even that lovely color. But in a restaurant, or a B&B? Heck yes.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Honestly if you love it do it who cares what someone else thinks anyway.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

Bleh. I've never liked pink. This color of the year doesn't change my mind.

• Cocotini Hartman
    4 years ago

I will be checking out this shade for my studio/diva den. Mixed with black and white I think it will look lovely. One of the most flattering colors for people to wear!

• Linda
    4 years ago

Blush (very pale pink), is very hot right now. Look around, you see it in bedding, sheets, towels, throw pillows, even glassware, its everywhere. Do what you want. Its only paint. If you hate it, you can paint over it

• mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

I don"t really like blush for a home, noway!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Very nice in the bedroom or living room of any chickadee who is single..................and wants to remain that way. Forever. : )

Gorgeous under warm lamplight in the evening. No matter. He's going home. Save it for the she shed.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Soft enough to be almost neutral. Reminds of stuff from the Art Deco period, the 1950s grey and pink trend, Georgia okeefe and Frank Marc paintings. Not a pink person myself in terms of decor, and clothing generally, the 80s dusty rose and powder blue were a hard time for me colour wise, also the harsh neons and smack you in the face pastels Of that time period.