Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iryna_novakovskaya

TV in fireplace

Iryna Novak
4 years ago

Hello.

What is your opinion on placing the TV in an artificial fireplace. On the TV display there may be a video with crackling logs. TV height - about 120 cm from the floor to the center of the TV.

Comments (18)

• tatts
    4 years ago

No. It makes the fireplace completely and obviously pointless.

• partim
    4 years ago

Is there a decorating problem that you are trying to solve by doing this? As you probably know, or you wouldn't be asking here, it's an odd look.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

No, no, just no.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Is this an "art" installation in a gallery ... a wry, post ironic comment on a society that embraced a TV channel that just shows burning logs? If so, carry on. If not,NO.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We need a lot more info . Why are you wanting to do this ? I just run the crackling fire on my kitchen TV at Christmas time but a real fire in my fireplace.

• Iryna Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's an apartment. So there is no possibility to build real fireplace. Besides the flame in the video looks more believable than the electric fireplace.

Could you please explain why not. What sensation arises, what association? I understand that it's not common, but... Please do not use answers "No. Just no". Please explain.

what is odd in this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW02_Au5og8&feature=youtu.be

We are going to use chalet design with rustic elements. And freestanding TV looks too modern as we think

• hollysmother
    4 years ago

Do what you want to. The video you included looked fine.

• Iryna Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, this is the only video with such a solution. But we plan to build a fireplace as in the photo.

We want the TV to show a burning fire in the fireplace in addition to the television programs. The height of the TV is 120 cm from the floor to the center of the TV is the most useful for vision. but at this distance, the TV may be damaged. And if you place it in a protective box of a false fireplace, then it’s harder to damage

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You could simply recess the TV into the wall. That way when they start offering the 86" TV for $1500 you would have to do major demo to fit the new tv in the wall.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Beverly has the right idea. Would NOT build a fake fireplace that looks like a fake fireplace. Instead, set the tv on a shelf recessed into the wall at fireplace height.

You could use paneling for the wall and create hidden storage behind doors that look like a paneled wall about a foot deep across the entire wall all around the tv shelf -- and use that storage for all things media related.

You could create shelving on just the fireplace width of the wall and add faux rock or brick to that protruding part of the wall all around the shelf on which you are going to set the tv (at least to what you'd want as mantel height) AND you could create vertical drawers on each side of the fireplace rather than have a hollow wasted space beside and beneath the tv..

With either option, you could even add a thick floating shelf above the tv that could pass for a faux mantel when you want it to be..

Creating a nook for the tv and adding a floating wall sh elf above it will not be creating a faux "fireplace" and it will not even appear to be a fireplace unless and until you turn on the "fire" display on the tv when you specifically want to set that mood.

• Hamma
    4 years ago

Iryna, how do I say this...It might be a regional/local thing...Real fireplaces are much more common in US, than let's say, in Russia/Ukraine/Belarus...So, by asking this question on an American forum, you're very likely to get an appropriate response :). If you ask this on Russian Houzz, I'm almost certain you'd get a different opinion...

P.S. I wouldn't do it, as I'm against fakes.

• Iryna Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you.

Dear suezbell did you mean something like that?

Could you please advice how to create hidden storage space to place PC or other media things. From the sides or front? We need ventilation holes to avoid overheating of computer equipment.

• PN _Bos
    4 years ago

Does the fireplace already exist -- but doesn't work? If so - there are a bunch of cool things you can do with an unusable fireplace (fill it with logs & fairy lights, candles, shelves, holiday decor. You could fill/cover it and tile, paint, wallpaper). Building a non-working fireplace makes no sense to me. Personally, the beauty of a fireplace is sitting there, getting cozy on a chilly night, enjoying the smell, the challenge of keeping the fire going. None of that can be achieved with a TV screen.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Iryna, Hey you are the one that created this folly that everyone thinks is a bad idea. Now you want us to design and solve the problems associated with this creation? That's rich.

• Iryna Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The topic is relevant. Big request to express your opinion. Thank you

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO that fireplace you show is just plain bad and ugly so maybe think about a new fireplace design first then do what you are thinking IMO fake fireplaces that are added into a space with no purpose are just plain silly