Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avalonnj

Does the scale and color of this print work in my Dining room?

avalonnj
4 years ago

Want to know before I put a hole in the wallpaper.

Thank you!

Comments (38)

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

here are some more photos

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The scale works if you turn the art 90 degrees. As far as the color, I don't see it working with the wallpaper and the pink theme. Are there plans to change those?

avalonnj thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • User
    4 years ago

No

avalonnj thanked User
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Can you show an inspiration photo of what you'd like your room to look like?

avalonnj thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

I love the room and I love the print, but not together.

avalonnj thanked njmomma
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Some Inspiration: Take a look at this mirror. I think something like this would work.

Castro Victorian · More Info

• User
    4 years ago

I like it in there but I think it would look better to have some breathing room at the sides of the art. Maybe flipped but I would understand not wanting to change the direction.

avalonnj thanked User
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I think you could do better than that picture. I like an abstract picture in a traditional room as much as the next person, but the wallpaper is drowning the black scribbles. You need more on the canvas, not less to look good with the paper.

avalonnj thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    4 years ago

I like your room, drapery and other art. The scribbles feel too abstract to me. How about a mirror or some objects on top of the chest instead?

avalonnj thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • Sammy
    4 years ago

Yes to both of your questions. My only concern is the lack of wall space on either side, which I see Sheeisback has also mentioned.

avalonnj thanked Sammy
  • Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

Better replace the scribbles. You wouldn't have asked if you were comfortable with it.

avalonnj thanked Daniel OConnell
  • Manon Floreat
    4 years ago

I think it fits in well with your eclectic room. But, the scale is a bit off - it dwarfs the chest of drawers and is crowded by the drapery. I really like the tension between it and the wall paper. Any chance there's another wall papered wall in the room for it?

avalonnj thanked Manon Floreat
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Following

• kristinhallett
    4 years ago

I think the artwork is cool. It goes with everything except wallpaper. Love the pink walls.

• kristinhallett
    4 years ago

Maybe at a later date, get white drapes.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I love it there. It's big and striking and unexpected. A confident and bold choice that brings life to the space. I admire art that doesn't "match" and would hang that bad boy up in a heartbeat.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Kristinhallett's idea about white curtains solves my problem with he art. I can't put my finger on why, as I am very much in the camp that believes art stands alone, but the additional white helps the picture stand up better against the paper in my eyes.

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@kristinhallett are you suggesting white drapes to add visual space for the art or for the room in general even without that art? Thank you for your feedback!

• tatts
    4 years ago

No, not at all.

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

here is the adjoining bar/nook we are attempting to connect

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Seeing it from the nook, I don't like the similar abstracts hung within view of one another. It looks like it's trying too hard, whereas either piece on its own is a perfect accent. Just not hung where they're visible in tandem.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

The nook looks modern and the dining room more traditional. Totally not the place for

that particular piece of art, as well as it being to big for the space.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks for additional photos that give an idea of your style. I would place a mirror on that wall.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Seeing the last picture ... I’d do something round. It’d give a nice balance in a room of so many square shapes, plus connect it well with the round table, round chair backs, and round globe lights in your nook.

avalonnj thanked Jilly
  • mountie
    4 years ago

Art is personal. Having said that, I don’t think either print works in your spaces. The black and white is a total disconnect. If you like modern art, I would try to find pieces that either pick up a color in the room or are a complementary color. Stay away from mirrors- there is nothing interesting to reflect.

• kristinhallett
    4 years ago

Avalonnj, I think the white drapes will pair better with the artwork. Also, if u love wallpaper keep it, but painting the wall pink would look great.

avalonnj thanked kristinhallett
  • kristinhallett
    4 years ago

Love your tulip table and benches! Maybe add some throw pillows that have pink in them.

The wallpaper is something u might reconsider.

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi @kristinhallett I appreciate your feedback. The kickpleat on the bench is pink and the off white pillow has pink stripes on the other side....it's just turned around in the picture.

I just had the paper hung and I it makes me happy:) I know it's bold and not for everyone but it makes me smile every time I walk in the room. It's Janta Bazaar by Thibaut.

• olmama
    4 years ago

I have to say, I love the mix of styles in your rooms! but I think the size/placement/orientation of the scribbles is what is most jarring. I think the pictures you posted are a bit dark, which at first glance, makes the room look more traditional than it is. I'd love to see photos of the dining room in the daytime.

avalonnj thanked olmama
  • avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jilly funny the round mirror on the dining table is what was hanging in that spot before we started playing with the art! Now that you say it...I think you are correct on round, but the mirror I had was weighty enough. Thank you!

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@olmama Thank you! I will post some daytime shots of the room.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I like the art but would hang it so that there is space around it.

avalonnj thanked houssaon
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Just a thought......Have you tried the art in the Bar/Nook in the dining room? It has a pink border, may work well against the wallpapered wall.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

The art seems too wide and tall to work between the curtains there. I love the wallpaper and your mix.

• kristinhallett
    4 years ago

I love your style. At first glance, I thought the wallpaper was more on the traditional side. Now, I see it isn’t.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Pick as tyle right now the wallpaper is very traditonal and the art very conremporary and where you want to hang it it just fights with the wall paper . I would just remove the wall paper

• avalonnj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. My husband was insisting on the piece and wouldn’t take my word for it that it doesn’t work in the dining room. But after seeing your opinions, we are compromising and hanging it in the bedroom instead. Another marriage saved;)