Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_546739163

loba invisible problems

HU-546739163
4 years ago

hello!

i just finished the coating of my floor with loba invisible. The floor looks great but there is a big problem. When i step on it with clean shoes you can see all the footprints on it.. Does anyone had the same problem?

Comments (29)

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Loba Invisible is a super low gloss finish. That's why it's called 'invisible'. One of the issues with super low gloss finishes is the look of 'prints' on a floor.

How many coats did you use? How old is the finish? What is your cleaning process? How dark are your floors?

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we used three coats and the sanding is very good. it is new. it is the first days that i step on it. up to now i have cleaned it only with water. the floor is white oak so it is not dark. i know that it is super low gloss but i worry because you can see the footprints of everyone that steps on it when the light comes from the opposite direction. it looks like it is impossible to walk on this floor with shoes without having the footprints on it so i am thinking to put a coat of extra mat on it but i really like the look of it now except the footprint issue. i am wandering if this will stop happening over time because i have seen a post that mentions this problem in the first days but they say that it stoped having this effect after a while. it is hard to believe that this can be normal because it is not practical at all to have this on a floor if it is impossible to step on it with shoes without having to clean it every time you step on it. thanks a lot for your response

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

A wood floor cleaner will remove the prints, until you walk on it again. It's just the way a matte finish is. Your FG should have advise you about the issue.

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have walked in loba extra mat and it does not have this effect. My contractor proposed me now that we can add a coat of extra

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So you say that on loba invisible you can only walk without shoes in order to stay without footprints?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The plasticizer in the sole of your foot wear is reacting to the finish, allowing it to leave prints. It's the same thing as laying a rubber backed rug on hardwood floor. It's listed in their technical data sheet.

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First of all I want to thank you for your response! From what you say I can understand that it will not get better over time and if I walk on it with shoes I will have the footprints... is that right? As I said before I walked on a floor that is coated with loba extra mat and it does not have this effect.. you think that I will solve the footprint problem if we put one coat of loba extra mat over the existing coating?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

Yes, the problem will not go away with invisible. Applying Supra extra matte will make it more chemical resistant. Which fixes your problem. Supra and Supra AT works better against chemicals, especially synthetic. Which is contained in most plasticizers and why we like to recommend applying Supra or AT over invisible.

HU-546739163 thanked G & S Floor Service
  • HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One last question.. the contractor proposed me to put one layer of extra mat over the three existing layers of invisible. You think one layer is enough or it needs two...i really need to thank you again!

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

I would apply two supra over invisible.

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

only one thing i still do not understand.. you say that you like to recommend applying supra or AT over invisible. if so why someone should put invisible and on top of it supra and not just put supra from the beginning?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Invisible is used as a sealer to maintain the raw look. Easy prime will not give you that look. Supra and Supra AT will give you added benefits. Of course, using this system will cost a little bit more versus just using invisible or easy prime and Supra/AT.

Potential clients usually run the opposite direction, when presented with a higher cost system.

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

so how many coats of invisible would you recommend as a sealer and how many coats of supra on top of it?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

One coat of invisible and two coats of supra.

• HU-546739163
    Original Author
    4 years ago

so now that i already have three coats of invisible you think that one coat of supra extra matte is not enough and i still need two coats?

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

As someone who has worked with both WS 2K Supra and the Supra AT, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going with the AT. The AT is a magnificent product. I was in love with the WS 2K (normal supra) until Loba came out with the AT. The AT BLEW MY MIND with its durability and 'grippiness' underfoot. It also has a beautiful velvety feel.

The AT is almost impossible to 'scratch' (leave a mark) when 2 coats are applied. The same cannot be said of the WS 2K Supra (regular supra). The regular Supra is now (in my books) ranked as a 'very nice' 2 part product. The Supra AT is now the top benchmark for the flooring market. Even Bona Traffic HD has to tip its hat to the AT line.

But as G&S points out, this is a BIG up charge to work with the AT. I used to work with a company that sold the AT at a very good price. And even then it was almost $180/gallon (which is considered VERY cheap!!!). Some companies sell it for $250/gallon (which is closer to normal retail).

You already have three coats of product on your floor. It would be wise to buff off a bit of this and go after the floor with 2 coats of AT. Like all 'infused' polyurethanes the AT starts looking 'thick' if there are too many coats on the floor. The problem being the AT gets its scratch resistance after 2 coats....which is why you pay the big bucks to have a floor finished in the AT...you NEED the 2 coats just to get the wear resistance you paid for.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

The other problem here is that extra matte is not available in AT, only Supra. This is where the OP is subject to go with the regular Supra.

• rcextremebike
    4 years ago

Question- White Oak Floor

If I wanted invisible (for its super matte look/ feel) with protection and no tannin pull

I would ask for:

EWS EasyPrimer (to stop tannin pull)

Loba Invisible AT (two coats)

Question- do people ever add a hint of color under the invisible? Like a light white or gray?

Thank you!

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Sure. Loba has their own line of stains. Go ahead and look for someone who works with these high end products. Loba's stains are water based. They are compatible with ALL their lines.

• Grace Ma
    3 years ago

@G & S Floor Service I just had my floors finished with loba invisible and was told not to use rubber backed rugs on my floors to prevent chemical reactions with the finish. Is this really something I should worry about? Or if I wait long enough, would it be safe to do so? I wanted to put small rubber backed rugs on my stair treads but am now worried that's not a good idea. It's hard to find non rubber backed stair tread rugs that won't move! Thanks!

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    3 years ago

Some rubber products will contain plasticizers that will soften and discolor the finish. Doesn't matter if, the finish is cured or not. You will need to check with the mfg of the product to make sure it is safe to use on top of wood floor finishes.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

As above. You ALWAYS run the risk of rubber/plasticizers in mats to chemically react with your floor. And it isn't just the Loba. It is every single product covered in polyurethane. It is any wood floor on the market, any cork floor, any VINYL floor, any LINOLEUM floor...the list goes on and on.

The age of the floors, as stated above, don't matter. Chemicals will remain unstable for as long as they 'exist'. Rubber (or the plasticizers in the rubber) will always be unstable (ever notice how they start to crack, discolour, crumble = unstable). The polyurethane is always 'active' to some degree (which is why you don't want to eat pieces of it...it can make you very sick even though it is 'hard'). Put two chemicals together like this and they will react in some way. Discolouration is one of the ways they react. This discolouration can happen VERY quickly depending on how FRESH the two chemicals are (if both are very young, the ugly yellow/nicotine coloured stain can happen inside of a few weeks). But very old products do not stop being 'active'. They simply take the 'normal' amount of time to react = a month or so...maybe a snick more depending on the chemical compound of the rubber itself.

• Grace Ma
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the info @G & S Floor Service and @SJ McCarthy! I will be sure to be very careful with my floors.

• kimfay235
    3 years ago

I have a Loba product on my new, white oak floors. Not sure exactly which product was used, but I definitely have a matte finish. The floors are horrible. You can see every single foot print on the floors. Dogs and people. With socks on or barefoot. None with shoes on. If you damp mop the floor with either just water, or the Loba floor cleaner, they look good until someone steps on them (doesn't matter if its 20 minutes later or 2 days). Also, water leaves a huge haze on the floor. You can also wipe up the same area with a damp cloth and not only will it be super hazy but also a residue will continuely be picked up on the rags. Loba has sent someone out and they claim this isn't usual and don't know what the issue is. Same for the installer. So now they are going to redo the floors. I'm concerned this is going to happen again. Is this a normal characteristic of this product???

• PRO
    General Gerard Contracting
    2 years ago

SJ Mcarthy- you are a gentleman and a scholar! You must have the patience of a saint- I hope people understand and appreciate the very very thorough explanations and education you provided-and I’m quite sure you have had to repeat more than once. I do appreciate it! Thanks.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Thanks @General Gerard Contracting It does feel like I'm repeating myself...but then again I'm at home...doing not much of anything (other than answering posts).

I really wish THE SCIENCES were required to graduate high school. It would make my job SOOO much easier. But such is life.

Stephanie - out!

• Kevin Schlieben
    last year

We had the 2k Invisible installed on new 3/4” engieered white oak about 2 months ago. We spilled a larger glass of water on the floor but cleaned it up right away. The floor expanded slighlty and show water stains on the edges of the board. My builder reched out to ths supplier who said its a common problem with this product specifically because it water based which means doesnt protect the floor from water intrusion. So am i to believe we need to replace our floors after every spill? Thank you for any advice!

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year

Start a new thread for help.