Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_888585119

AWKWARD Living Room Layout. Help!

HU-888585119
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m having a hard time with laying out my living room because the front door opens right in the middle of the room. I’m going to replace the two recliners in the pictures for either two new matching recliners or a reclining sofa (my husband and I like to recline while watching TV). However, I’m still not sure what the best layout for this living room is. Any suggestion?? This room feels “off” and like it is missing a few things.

Comments (31)

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• User
    4 years ago

Your room looks too small for the sofa and the oversized stuffed recliners. Look for smaller, less bulky chairs. These are recliners, but have a small visual footprint.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@UserThank you! I will definitely keep that in mind! Unfortunately I just bought the sofa so I’m hoping maybe I can find smaller chairs to offset the larger couch.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shirlpp no, I had not even thought of that. I will give that a try and see! Thank you!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

You've made your first mistake by not considering the room when you shopped for the sofa. It is way to big and bulky for this space, so you don't have room to add much more. The buffet as TV credenza is not working and is too high. Here are a few charts to help you scale things correctly.

HU-888585119 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I would try the TV on the wall where the chairs are currently. The sofa could then face the TV. You will then be able to see where any chairs might fit.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I also think the TV belongs on the wall behind the door. That way your seating area is all together on the other side and the TV is not the first thing you see when entering your home. The best change would be swapping the location of your front door with one of the windows. It might be worth getting an estimate.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

As long as the sofa does not recline, if you put it with it's back to the door - you can put a sofa table behind it. You can put a few larger objects on the table to help obscure the tv a bit.

Give both suggested options a try.

HU-888585119 thanked shirlpp
  • HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesign thank you! I agree, I wish our front door was off centered. I wanted to gather some information/opinions on other designs before getting an estimate. But am definitely going to keep it in mind.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shirlpp

I tried the sofa with it’s back to the front door but unfortunately it seemed a little in the way when coming in the front door. I don’t think our room is wide enough to the couch there. But I do really like the tv on this wall. Do you think this is looking better?

• suezbell
    4 years ago

My sister and her husband had a two-seat reclining sofa ( sides reclined separately) that they soon didn't like at all. Do be sure to sit in whatever you buy so you know it will be careful.

Ask your furniture dealer if they have a "ladies" sized recliner -- a lot smaller than a standard recliner but only comfortable if you're shorter and smaller than the average adult male.

A lot of people have cable or sat/dish connections that limit tv placement. From the pic, there appears to be less room left of the door than to the right. Ideally, you want a clear traffic path through the room so it would be good to have the tv on the narrower end of the room to leave more room for chairs on the wider end.

IF the tv were left of center against the wall, a 3' high bookcase as a room divider (entry/living room ) might be worth at least a look should you choose to try to create an entry. That would be far preferable to trying to put the back of the sofa to the door, and even that might crowd the space too much. I suspect, however, that the room is too small for anything larger to be practical -- but then, you do have the sofa away from the wall.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/23643966764894267/?lp=true

You'd certainly want any room divider bookcase to be light color -- perhaps the same color as the walls.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Is that a dining room behind the wall behind the sofa? Budget permitting, you might consider swapping the placement of the door with the placement of the window to the left of it and opening up the other end of wall between living and dining room directly across from the relocated door -- you'd be able to walk all the way around that wall behind the sofa. That way, putting your tv against the left side of the opposite wall for a straight path thru the living room to the dining room would be the obvious placement.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

A pair of narrow end tables on each side of the sofa with tall/medium height thin post lamps with medium sized white shades might be a worthwhile addition. A floor lamp table/combo could be considered.

https://www.amazon.com/Leick-Mission-Chairside-Swing-Table/dp/B00FMRSSMI

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

With you last arrangement, you walk right into the TV when you enter. And it doesn’t seem like you can watch TV from either sofa or chairs.
    Did you try TV on wall “behind” where the door swings open? So when you walk in you will see the sofa and chair at least.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Have you considered at least getting an estimate for swapping the placement of the door with the window left of it and opening up a cased opening in the wall opposite it; if not, do.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that's a good idea. what if you moved the front door to the right window, and made a bigger window to the left of the new door? (and please get a new door. those oval victorians don't go w/anything except a victorian)

if you raised the window up a bit you could put the sofa under the window. or not. but at least you have a lot more room to work with.

If you know anyone in construction, this wouldn't have to be that expensive to do. reframing a door and getting a new window can be done for a good price if you have friends. I don't know if your exterior is stucco, but that's easy enough to patch.

would look something like these

either way I think you need a new front door. and paint it other than white. look how just adding a few pops of yellow really brighten the look of this room.

HU-888585119 thanked Beth H. :
  • shirlpp
    4 years ago

Darn! Since the tv is facing the door with nothing in between it and the door it is really not working.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Gcubed I did try that, however, when I put the couch directly across from it, it seemed to be in the way of the walkway from the front door to the kitchen. Especially if I put a coffee table in front of it. Thank you for the suggestion, though! I believe my best bet is to get an estimate to move the front door.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shirlpp yes, the more I look, I agree. I think moving the front door is going to be the best idea. Thank you for your help!

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :thank you for the suggestions! I think moving the front door will make all the difference.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@suezbell I completely agree, moving the front door is going to be the best option. Our neighbor’s house is identical to ours, except their front door is off centered (in line with the entry to the kitchen) and it flows so nicely.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Until you move the door, switch the TV and the sofa in your new photo arrangement, so the TV is on the wall with your shelves, the sofa is on the wall facing the doorway, and the two recliners are across from the TV.

HU-888585119 thanked calidesign
  • Aera Moon
    4 years ago

And maybe do some better lighting it’s a little dull ( no offense)

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Unless you're changing the door itself -- not just moving it -- I would leave the front door color white.

If, however, you're replacing the front door, choosing one with a different kind of window -- square or rectangle and above shoulder height -- as well as choosing one with a natural wood finish is worth considering.

HU-888585119 thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

When you move the door, leave room to have only the tv set against the closest wall to increase the seating space on the other side.

HU-888585119 thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

I've made a 3D build of your room so you can better visualize how it looks. With the existing door position, the only possible way you could add a recliner would be if you position them on either side of the couch. It would be best if you could get compact ones. I've also added a small coffee table and would recommend nested end tables so you could pull them out and use them when required. Your other option would be to have large armchairs and an ottoman instead of recliners.

You can access the interactive 3D build here. You could move around, swap furniture and make your own layout. Hope this helps. I could also help you choose furniture so would love to see your decision on moving the door.

• HU-888585119
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Styldod wow! Thank you!

• HU-201692082
    4 years ago

If you don’t mind I’d make a suggestion! I would also use an area rug like a sisal on top of the carpet to help create a separate space for living room. It can look really nice to layer like that. Also, one thing that would help brighten up the room is a different wall color. This is because right now the carpet and the wall color are so similar it makes the room look less defined. My preference would be to use the back of one of the sofas to separate the living from the entry. Good luck!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Give us a measured drawing of the room.
    If one side of the room (divided into two sections by the door) is larger than the other, place your seating pieces on the larger side and the tv console on the smaller side. There can be no conversation in the room as currently arranged because nobody is facing anybody....
    Styldod suggests an excellent possibility of moving the doorway.