Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsb0423

large wall paintings arrangement in living room

dsb0423
4 years ago

Hi,
Please help me in arranging these two paintings on my wall. 1 painting alone seems kinda small, was wondering if it would be better to put 2 paintings side by side instead. Bother paintings though are of different dimensions. One is 3 1/2 ft x 4 1/2 and the other is 4 1/2 ft x 4 1/2 ft.

Wall length is 12ft 4 inches. Wall length from light switch is 10ft 8 inches. Height from Tom of sofa pillows 5ft 7 inches.

This is a photo of our living room with the 3 1/2 ft x 4 1/2 and the two paintings.

Thanks everyone!

Comments (11)

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    4 years ago

I would not do both paintings, as they are very busy and the wall will look crowded. I don't mind the look of the one on it's own, but it strikes me as a little too tall - I think it should be more rectangular than square shape. I might try to find a completely different painting that is 6-8" shorter and a few inches longer and I think it would look better. You have a lovely space that reads as modern and relaxing, and I wouldn't over crowd it. Less if more I'd say.

• Olychick
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would use just one, but would center it over that portion of the sectional instead of on the wall. Then add something tall to the right...plant, maybe an arc floor lamp, or a narrow bookcase, to provide some balance.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

A definite "no" to putting both paintings on the same wall. I think you can safely go with either painting alone on that wall, and think the size and shape of either will work. You might need to look for another room in which to use one of the paintings though, as you don't want to create visual overload in this space.

I like that you've chosen big, impactful pieces. Not nearly enough people do that when it comes to selecting artwork.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would use both of them, but singly and seasonally. Cool bluer one in hot weather and the one with red in winter to warm things up. Change out rugs, pillows and accessories to compliment each piece, perhaps hanging a red throw over the blue chair. Fill the right corner with a seasonal bloomer or something green.

• dsb0423
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Took the advice of every one and decided to just place one painting. Just have to decide which one. Here’s a picture of the bigger one 4 1/2 x4 1/2 in the living room. Incase we go with this will have to adjust the height of the hooks to raise it a bit .

We want to use any one of these because they hold sentimental value to us. But yes, a 3ft x 6 ft would definitely look better.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Can your sectional reverse? It might work better if the blue chair were angled by the painting and the "L" of the sofa were at the chair end.

• dsb0423
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do you guys think putting the painting in this wall ( it’s the only wall left in my house that can fit the painting) would work? I plan to put this up instead of the picture frames.

Haven’t hanged it properly, just placed a stool underneath to do a mock up. I can also put the smaller one 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 instead.

Thanks again for all the inputs! Greatly appreciate!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For the best balance you need at least 25% of the art's width in open wall space making a bit of border around it. That spot is too crowded for more than maybe the piece that's above the backless settee, or maybe the trio of kids photo.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Centre the one piece of art over the sofa, centered to the sofa - not the wall.

Could you try moving the bench under the pictures, then place the other piece

on the brown section.

• dsb0423
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a photo of the painting above the sofa. Right side seems blank, will need to balance it in this configuration