Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Does Tide go bad?

bpath
4 years ago

I’m cleaning out my mother’s basement, and there is is big box of Tide. I’m not sure how long it’s been there, surely at least a decade? Will it still clean well?

Comments (22)

• K R
    4 years ago

I haven’t seen a box like that in 20 years or more...it’s definitely not for HE machines lol...and probably loaded with chemicals that were probably ok back then so I’d definitely toss it.

• bpath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It could actually be from 1999, k r, I was emptying the Y2K stash. Toilet paper, anyone? I’ll toss it. I don’t have to take it to the hazardous waste drop-off, do I? Just household trash?

• mainenell
    4 years ago

Donate it to a food pantry. A lot of their patrons probably have the cheap Amana washers and the detergent is probably okay for those. They still use a ton of water.

• K R
    4 years ago

Yup, has to be from the 90’s! Y2K stash, wow! I’d probably feel better bringing it to the hazardous waste dump, but mine is pretty conveniently located. It’s most likely not necessary.

• bpath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My regular dump is handy, and the hazardous chemical isn’t bad, I’ll have a trunkload so will make an appointment, and they are so quick at pulling it all out!

Hmm, I wonder if the animal shelter can use it?

• hcbm
    4 years ago

There is nothing dangerous in the detergent. There might be some phosphates, but there are phosphates in toothpaste and some foods. It might be ineffective if it got damp. It is probably sudsy. There are many on here who would love that box of detergent for their collection. I personally would just use it in a top loader that has lots of water.

• SEA SEA
    4 years ago

MamaP would have loved to see this -- and probably ask that you send it to her for her stash. Miss her.

• bpath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know, sea sea, and I was thinking of her.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

If the detergent was kept dry and did not clump, it should be usable. However the fragrance may have fallen out or changed. It would be OK in a deep fill top loader.

• Andrew Roark, FACOG
    4 years ago

It’s Tide not nuclear waste. This hysteria is completely uncalled for. Got to love the 21st century. We are afraid of or offended by everything. Again, it’s freaking Tide!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So, Andrew, we should all feel safe regarding all the chemicals that Tide and others use in their formulas to remove stains and such in our washes? And what does FACOG stand for?

• Laundry Mich
    4 years ago

I have Liquid Tide from 2005, Powder Tide from 1998, 2006, 2007 and 2010. I can tell you right now, I have ZERO concern about any of the chemicals in these boxes or my liquid bottle.

Most boxes of Powder Detergent consist mostly of Salt, or Sodium Carbonate which is dehydrated baking soda, while Liquids consist mostly of Water. There are no carcinogens, or truly dangerous things in these products. Not to mention, most of the stuff is completely biodegradable.

Obviously, detergent can break down - but I never get concerned about human safety. As a Leukemia survivor in remission, I feel like I am especially careful when working with dangerous things. In my opinion, I honestly would be more concerned about household water supplies, and things in our natural environment than a product like this.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

FACOG ... possibly Fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

• bpath
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Laundry Mich, I’m so sorry, I gave it to the animal shelter. You know they need a lot of good detergent! My son had a few birthday parties when he was in grade school where he asked his friends to bring things for the shelter instead of presents. His own idea! (Well,

HIS friend had received donations for books to a book drive, but the shelter part was his idea.) The friends were so excited to show their offerings of new toys, old blankets, newspaper, and food. (And the moms were happy to get rid of the old blankets and newspapers). Knowing they have top-loaders, I knew they’d be able to use the detergent.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    4 years ago

Andrew, Laundry Mich, Rolando Z, and others who always defend Tide, my jaw has dropped and my mouth has been left open for some time tonight as I discover that EWG notes NO, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH cancer concern for any Tide POWDER.

:-O

• Laundry Mich
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Honestly, I'm not really surprised. While no one should purposely try to inhale or take deep breaths of Powder Laundry Detergent, I've known most of the ingredients in these powders are harmless, and relatively safe.

Supposedly however, in the 60's & 70's, when detergents actually contained Phosphate, some phosphorus mines were contaminated with Asbestos, meaning, trace amounts of the stuff were getting into Powder Detergents... but from what I understand, water & washing basically minimized/destroyed any potential health risk. And... the mines that were contaminated, were shut down by the EPA a extremely long time ago.

As for Liquid Detergents, I will say... some of them probably could have a single, or multiple carcinogen in them. That truly wouldn't surprise me at all, I feel like many of those formulas are so variable and random, by manufacturer.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    4 years ago

Every time I stop using Tide With Bleach POWDER, I wonder what I was thinking. The word "clean" comes to mind. Jeesh!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    4 years ago

And I'm too old and lazy to do any pre-treating or scrubbing, so powders are the winner for me.

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

It would probably, actually, get the clothes clean! Back when detergents got stains out of clothing. Now, it just seems my clothes get more and more yellowed (white Ts and such) and plus I can't hardly find anything that I'm not allergic to these days! Very frustrating! My body says that the old stuff was safer than the new stuff!

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

It is practically a science anymore to get clothes clean and whites white.

MamaP kept us all educated on that. ( Miss her )

The family may tease me about my old-school top loader but I have dazzling whites using hot water and powdered Tide with bleach.

More and more I have gone back to powdered detergents. I do like a big ole box of Tide.

I don't think there is a one detergent for all your laundry needs anymore.

• elbits
    4 years ago

I'd use it.