Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmarple04

How can I make my couch look less blue, more grey.

jmarple04
4 years ago

Just bought this special order couch. I have included a picture of the swatch. in the store, it looked grey which is what I wanted. They delivered today and it looks very blue.

Help!

Comments (20)

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photo 1

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photo 2

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photo of fabric

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Get rid of the yellow tinged white wall. (And words. And clock. And clutter on the chest.) The two colors intensify each other. You want a colder, greener or bluer white.

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The wall is bright white. My Christmas tree is shining on it giving it that color

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also wasn’t asking any opinion on my decor. Strictly the color of the couch. So any rude comments can be left out!

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

It might be better to take a photo with the Christmas tree lights off so we can get a better sense of the colors of your space. The walls look yellow on my monitor as well.

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

I think yellows and oranges are supposed to tone down the blue. You can do this with pillows and art above the sofa.

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only lights on in the pic are my living room lights

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/124626/what-colors-will-help-my-grey-sofa-look-more-grey-not-blue

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3911177/how-do-i-make-my-grey-couch-look-less-blue

Check out these discussions. I think it has to do with colors that are next to each other on the color wheel and all sorts of things I know nothing about. Maybe these threads can point you in the right direction unless someone else chimes in.

jmarple04 thanked ilikefriday
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Your room is lovely; it's unfortunate that some people get satisfaction from being rude - must make them feel better about themselves somehow.

When you put the sample against the couch are they different or the same? Or did you not actually have a sample or just the pic of it. If you don't have a sample, I'd order one and see if they are the same.

The color is lovely; I personally think it is much more interesting and livable than a darker gray would be, but that's me, not you. It looks great in your space. Will the store take it back if the fabric doesn't match the sample?

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I echo what Olychick said. It is unfortunate that some folks find great pleasure in being rude. It often makes me wonder what their perfect homes must look like and how the people must feel living in them.

• ctlane
    4 years ago

I like your room from what I can see of it. I think the dark gray pillows are a warm shade and the sofa is a cool shade. I would remove them and see if that helps.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

WOW! The swatch and the sectional fabric look so different. Do they really match?

Any chance you got the wrong one?

Regardess, I like the color of the sectional a lot. I’ve always loved gray with blue undertones..

To make it look less blue, do not have any other grays/black fabric in the room. That would mean new pillows for the sofa…(keep the stuffers).

Paint the walls B.M. French Canvas…it’s an off-white, but the undertone will help with color of sectional.

Dash and Albert Rugs…middle one has a slight green undertone.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Your white walls are fine - I’d suggest a larger rug and maybe inject a bit of bluish grey color in it in addition to the black/white/grey so all looks intentional (again, assuming they delivered what you ordered)
    https://www.houzz.com/products/studio-seven-madison-rug-cream-light-gray-9x12-prvw-vr~85545986

jmarple04 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

Since blue and orange are complementary colors they intensify each other. Your chest is orange. I think the color of your sofa is very nice. But its all individual taste. I think it looks good, but the advice given should help.

jmarple04 thanked katrina_ellen
  • jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone so much! I will make some suggested changes and see how it goes.

• jmarple04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JudyG Designs Would a jute colored rug be the color route I should go or a more creamy color for the rug? I'm looking on rugsusa.com. I just spent so much on this couch, I'm looking at less expensive ways to fix it. I was thinking some blues and yellows as an accent with pillows since I should get rid of the gray/black. Am I on the right path?

• jay06
    4 years ago

I think your couch looks very nice and is more grey than blue. You mentioned that the picture was taken with your living room lights on. Are they overhead lights? I've found that overhead lights tend to make colors look very harsh, unlike what they are with softer lighting. Consider placing an end table next to the couch with a lamp, or possibly just a floor lamp next to the couch with downward lighting. Lighting a room with lamps rather than overhead fixtures makes a huge difference.