Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw123

Hawaiian Banana Bread question

Sooz
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a recipe that Teresa_nc7 posted--she got from her friend Belinda--my link is from 2009.

Does anyone (Teresa?) know if this would freeze well, or if having crushed pineapple in the bread would make freezing and thawing a problem--b/c pineapple is wet (even though I will squeeeeeze it as dry as possible)?

Thanks!!!!

Hawaiian Banana Bread

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

* 3 cups plain flour
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or macadamia)
* 2 tsp. vanilla
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 2 cups mashed bananas
* 1 (8 oz.) can of crushed pineapple (well drained)

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon; stir in nuts. Set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients in another mixing bowl; blend well.

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just moist.

Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.

Bake at 350° for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes. Check center of loaf with toothpick and if it comes out clean, its done. Cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

This makes 6 mini loaves, and the bake time is about 25 to 30 minutes (check on them)...but if you make larger 9x5 loaves, the bake time is about 1 1/2 hours.

Teresa's note: I make 6 mini loaves from this recipe.

Link to recipe

Comments (6)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    4 years ago

I can't speak to the recipe, but I've used cans of crushed pineapple before. Drain as much liquid as possible, going as far as to dab the wet fruit with paper towel. Then dry it in a saucepan over VERY low heat. Takes a good 30 minutes, but it will make baking with them a snap.

Sooz thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • plllog
    4 years ago

It's been a long time since I used pineapple--never as delicately as Ricky, but he's the cookie expert. Still, canned pineapple is cooked, then the banana bread is baked. I don't think it would suffer too much from freezing. The bigger issue might be whether it would ooze liquid into the surrounding crumb making it soggy. At this point, we're probably getting into questions of exactitude in how it's wrapped, how air tight, how moisture tight, how fast your freezer freezes, how much general temperature variation there is, etc. That is, this sounds to me like one of those things where it might work great for the first person and not so much for the second, depending on the variables.

It might be worth experimenting, or making a backup you're sure of if you're making it for a particular date.

Sooz thanked plllog
  • Sooz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

That looks much like a Hummingbird cake recipe. It should freeze just fine.

Sue

Sooz thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • Sooz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! I plan on making some mini loaves tomorrow or over the weekend, freezing it, thawing it, and tasting it!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor