Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki11784

Need help with my fiddle leaf fig!

Anna Fiddle
4 years ago

Hi, I have had this fiddle leaf fig for about 8 months and it seems to be happy. I am wondering though if leaves will grow back in the bottom, or they only grow out of the top? I had to remove some leaves due to damage from shipping and it looks lopsided now. Also, the leaves seem to be droopy even after it is watered- what does this mean? Does this tree look like how it's supposed to?

Other side:

Comments (3)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    4 years ago

Give the house plant forum a try as this is not a true fig plant but actually a house plant. Good luck.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago

Of course it's a true fig; and actually, there are no such things as house plants. What we think of as houseplants are nothing more than species that naturally occur outdoors, but are able to tolerate indoor conditions better than most other plants.

"I am wondering though if leaves will grow back in the bottom, or they
    only grow out of the top?"
    Whenever light levels are low, the tendency is for the plant to lose the proximal leaves on branches/stems. "proximal" refers to leaves closest to the root to shoot transition at ground level. There are several ways that CAN stimulate a quasi-replacement of lost leaves. "Quasi, because it involves stimulating the growth of new branches (with new leaves on them) from the crotch (axil) formed by existing leaves and/or from dormant buds above leaf (bundle) scars where old leaves were formerly attached. This image shows new branches erupting from leaf axils of on a Ficus retusa:

The most effective way to force new branching is by A) giving the plant all the light it wants B) making sure the roots are healthy and not congested (root-bound). This, in fact, is a very important consideration as it is a primary factor in what level of vitality/health your plant can achieve. Growing a healthy plant is not possible unless you can maintain a healthy root system; and, to the degree root health is limited, vitality of the entire organism will also be limited. C) siting the plant where it will be warm and have plenty of air movement. Ideally, your plant would be moved outdoors whenever temps allow. It can go outdoors whenever nights are reliably above 55*, or it can be moved in/out so it's protected from temps below 55* D) fertilizing regularly with an appropriate fertilizer. I use Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for almost everything I grow. I have at least 15 species of Ficus, and many cultivars within some species. As an example, I have 5 cultivars of Ficus benjamina. I had to remove some leaves due to damage from
    shipping and it looks lopsided now.
    That can be fixed by pruning, but I'd exercise some patience and do any heavy pruning during June if you live in the US. You might consider adding where you live to your user info so it automatically appears whenever you post - like mine. Also, the leaves seem to be droopy
    even after it is watered- what does this mean?
    It can mean the plant is over-watered. Too much water, which insures too little air in the root done inhibits the plant's ability to move water. Your plant can suffer a moisture deficit even as roots languish in a sea of plenty. Too, your FLF is known for the fact it's leaves, once wilt has occurred, are often unable to return to their former spatial positions - they droop. If your plant is not currently drooping as a result of real time cultural issues, it will most likely be permanent. Your tree CAN be defoliated, which will stimulate a new flush of foliage that will be pristine in appearance and more 'perky' than the leaves currently on the plant, but that needs to be undertaken in summer and the plant must be healthy, so don't move forward with defoliating w/o running it by someone who is familiar with the process and knows what they're talking about. Does this tree look like
    how it's supposed to?
    Well, it could certainly do with more light, but it doesn't look like it's in severe decline. I'll leave a link for you to look over. If you pay particularly close attention to the parts about soil choice and how important watering habits are, you won't be sorry. Proficiency at growing things in containers comes easy if you get the soil choice and watering habits right. Unfortunately, those facets are usually the obstacle that serves as the hump in the road a large fraction of hobby growers are never able to get around.

Click me to see what he was talking about.

Al

Anna Fiddle thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • Anna Fiddle
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you Tapla. Your response was very informative. I read through the link- in this situation would you recommend repotting or potting up? Were you able to see if the pot it is in now is too small? I do see a tangle of the roots on top of the pot so I am assuming it is time for it to be repotted? What type of material does it get repotted into? What size pot would you recommend? it is currently in an 8 inch pot, but its a tall pot. Also, the picture was taken at night. Normally it gets a lot of filtered light as it sits between two bright windows.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer