Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adaena_tray

Furnished and Decorated in Time for the Holidays

Daena
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Ugh, I wrote a long post but it got deleted. Basically, my husband and I relocated to a larger 1924 Craftsman style home this fall. While working full-time and managing several renovation projects, I hustled to furnish and decorate our combined living room / solarium in time for the holidays (and to make this a cozy nest for my husband who has been sick lately). The 30' long room was practically empty when I started, as we came from a small cottage. On evenings and weekends for the past three months, I've picked up wares from FB Markeplace, Craigslist, thrift stores, flea markets, antique stores, etc. I prefer a collected-over-time look that tells a story, but my deadline for telling that story was very condensed. ha ha. I focused on acquiring high quality second-hand items that I could not otherwise afford, intermixed with some new budget finds. The hand-knotted Turkish rug was my biggest splurge. I turn 40 next month and it was important to me that the room represent who I am nowadays as a person and as a designer (amateur) who is more confident in herself and willing to take risks. I wanted to eschew trends and instead focus on timelessness and warmth. I may come back and tweak a few things - not crazy about the staircase wall being that blue - but for now I cannot wait to enjoy the holidays in our new home. You can see where we started in the last photo.

Comments (19)

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Oh, my, I’m swooning here. I love it, love everything you’ve done. Magazine-worthy! Cozy, charming, beautiful, timeless (a polarizing word, but I’m using it!), comfortable, personal, and yes, does look collected over time. Just wonderful! I want to curl up by the fire with a book and hot toddy. :)

Thank you for sharing your lovely home tour, and I hope your husband feels better soon!

ETA: This is such a neat and intriguing piece, do you know what it was originally used for? It looks like there’s space for labels above each drawer?

• kriii
    4 years ago

Lovely. Just lovely. It is relaxing just to look at your home online.

• Daena
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Jinx, for your kind words! I'm happy that my house is evoking such a warm feeling just from pictures alone. You may be curled up on my sofa when I get home in a bit. ha ha. The cabinet you see was an antique store find with such a fabulous past. It has a little typewritten card attached to the back that that tells its history. The cabinet was originally built in 1900 by a pastor out of cherry wood. He passed away and someone then added the top and legs to it in 1958. They wrote that they hoped a nephew might like to inherit it. I did some research and the nephew recently passed away, which is likely how it ended up where it did :)

• deegw
    4 years ago

Your "before" is quite good but you really took it to the next level. Congrats, it looks terrific.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Fabulous is right! Wow! Truly a one-of-a-kind piece. What a treasure. :)

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    4 years ago

Beautiful ! Happy Holidays to you!

Daena thanked PRM Custom Builders
  • woodrose
    4 years ago

You have done an amazing job in a very short period of time . I love everything about that space, and I'm sure your husband does, too. I hope he is feeling much better soon, and I hope you both have a lovely Christmas.

Daena thanked woodrose
  • alainaevans
    4 years ago

Be pleased! you nailed it.

Daena thanked alainaevans
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

Very classic look! Looks livable without be cluttered. Awesome job!

Daena thanked Norwood Architects
  • katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

That's just the kind of décor I love. It has depth and variety and has a relaxed, definitely not stiff look. Looks great and also very livable.

Daena thanked katrina_ellen
  • drblount10
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>From amateur decorator to amateur decorator, this is wonderful! You have an excellent eye! This cottage-y collected look is not easy to achieve. I love the comfy furniture and fireplace. I especially was inspired by the window seat area, great area for tea and toast! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to go make a cup now! Happy Holidays!
    Daena thanked drblount10
  • Laurie Gordon
    4 years ago

You sure nailed a stylish yet cosy environment. Just lovely. Merry Christmas.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Impressed that you did this with so little time! What an inviting and cozy space for you in your new home. Enjoy!

• teeda
    4 years ago

Wow, you have done a truly outstanding job! Love all your found treasures and the way you've mixed and arranged things. Looks better than most of the magazine/website hours tours I see. Happy Holidays in your beautiful new home!

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4 years ago

Not sure how I stumbled upon this belatedly but it's amazing. What a beautiful space!

• kodiac23
    4 years ago

Great job, cozy

• PRO
    Flores Artscape
    4 years ago

What an incredible eye for detail! This looks so cozy and homey and festive!

Happy Holidays!

• LIrw09
    4 years ago

This looks amazing! You have a fantastic eye! I'm sure it's been a wonderful space for you and your hubby to curl up and enjoy the season. It is so cozy, collected and warm. Welll done! Hope your husband is feeling better and Happy New Year to you both!