Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_990628425

bench or plants or something else

We moved into our new build a year ago. We have haphazardly place two plants in the corner but I know we need something different. I just don’t know what. Attached is the living space.

The area I want support on is where the plant stand is and the two windows. It’s too big of an area to leave empty.

Thank you!

Comments (26)

• Sonja Suitor
    4 years ago

I would put a good sized pedestal (3’H) with an important statue on it. And if a statute isn’t in the budget or in your inventory just yet, a lush, large leaf plant on top of the pedestal would do just fine. Add some texture and life to the room. Beautiful space!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Statue isn’t our style but I love the idea of greenery. I think we need more of it overall.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

A tree!

Representative Project · More Info

Conservatory Craftsmen · More Info

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Something tall would be good! I’m fairly good at killing plants though so I need to be careful. What are good indoor trees? It’s a south east facing corner

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    4 years ago

How about roman blinds on the windows in the same color as the walls? Maybe add a wide vertical border to the roman blind in a large black and white graphic print to coordinate with your pillows. An area carpet would help as well. Make sure it covers the entire seating area, and at least halfway under the sectional. I'm not sure about the brown chairs. Are they staying? Even though they look a little mid-century modern, they may be too minimalist (I don't know if I'm using the right word there) for people to sit on. I would add a throw folded up neatly over the sectional to make the place cozy. You can certainly put a bench next to the window (measure twice, buy once!). There is a bit of neutral overload here. If you are going for a monochromatic look, add a lot of texture to add interest. If you are not going for a monochromatic look, you may want to add one bright color in a bunch of areas - lamp shades, carpet, etc.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carpet is a no because we have a family member with mobility issues so it’s a tripping hazard. I would have loved a rug but sadly it’s not happening.

Brown chairs are awesome and going nowhere. They are insanely comfortable.

We often have a throw on the couch but with three kids and a dog it gets moved about most of the time and as a result we’ve taken to it going in a basket instead but the colour is still in the room.

We have colour in the art, not pictured, on the other side of the room which is blues and greens as well as a burnt yellow/orange colour. We tried to tie that into the cushions on the couch which are same colour.

Where would you add lamps and how? I guess we could get a side table?

• Renee
    4 years ago

I might leave the corner and the shorter wall with two windows alone - and instead add two long, low benches under the windows of the long wall and put an assortment of potted plants on both. That would be fun and make the space seem larger.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Does the space seem small? It’s a 20x20 room. As per my profile pic the dog stares out the windows....

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

A chaise as below. You can add an arc lamp or other floor lamp behind it.

Living Areas · More Info

Japanese Inspired Remodel in Noe Valley-Living Room · More Info

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shirlpp love this idea!

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    4 years ago

Table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I would add an area rug big enough to hold the whole group of furniture.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@felizlady I have explained we cannot have a rug due to mobility issues of a family member.

@elaine doremus there are no walls for a wall sconce...

• LIrw09
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What a beautiful room! I love seating next to a window so a bench or the chaise option @shirlpp mentioned sounds great! Love the idea of a tree or maybe even some hanging plants at different levels to add greenery? Some floor lamps and definitely an end table would help the function of the space.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We know someone locally who will help us select a tree for the space so that will be a great start. We will work on layering items over time. We've lived here for a year and never needed a lamp for function. Lights are on a dimmer so we just adjust as needed. I do think a side table and a lamp or two would add to the space but I'm entirely unsure what would work.

Any recommendations on a side table?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the room from the other side. I can add some more colour through the paintings. We are still partially set up for Christmas.

• LIrw09
    4 years ago

Oh wonderful! Depends on what your needs are in regard to a side table. Most people just need somewhere to set their drink or phone. I personally like a side table with a drawer to stash remotes, notebooks and other small cluttery items. Be mindful of scale when looking for a side table and make sure it's not too big or too small for the furniture it is paired with. A quick google search will help you find recommendations on what to look for when considering an end table. Would love to see what you come up with!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So not really what was recommended, but what will increase the use of the space for our family, is that we will be bringing a games table up from the rec room to do family puzzles. Still getting a tree for greenery but this will be what serves our family best.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Great idea! Ficus?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ashtonic not sure yet. Going to a local garden person in a few weeks for tips.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Something like this

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes we will have a puzzle/game table there now too so will need to adjust my plant thinking to work around it.

• Stephanie Anderson
    4 years ago

Love the 2 leather chairs!

Please tell me about the shades...roller shades? Remote controlled?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Stephanie they are from Monarch Flooring and Windows. We live in Vancouver and they are a local company and the product line is made here. Super affordable. Light filtering for our south east yard. We have blackout version of them in bedrooms. Not remote controlled

• WestCoast Hopeful
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just a bit of an update. We now have a puzzle table in the corner and the kids love it. May not be perfect design but is perfect for us.