Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macd27988

Backsplash Ideas

macd27988
4 years ago

Hi all,

I had a post earlier about whether or not my family should embark on a big kitchen overhaul. With a lot of good advice, we decided to just get new countertops, add a backsplash, and organize better. We got the granite counters installed today and now we need to pick out tile for the backsplash.

We were originally thinking just plain white subway tiles but now I can see that might be way too white! I almost feel like there needs to be somewhat of a contrast. What do you all think? Obviously not a fancy magazine kitchen but we appreciate all input :)

Comments (25)

• macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the tips! Yes, it's granite. It was a really unique piece so we jumped on it right when we saw it.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Wow, love the granite! I think your kitchen could use some contrast so I think picking a one of the darker colors from your counters and bringing some samples home would be a great start. I can't tell if you have gray, brown, or black in your stone. If you need to store anything on your counters (utensils, fruit bowl, etc), you could find some with color to liven up the space. Otherwise, great job!

macd27988 thanked megs1030
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You don't have an extensive area for a backsplash, so I would stay with the idea of a white subway that closely matches the cabinet color, or the lightest color in the stone, for the back wall only--no side splash. That side wall is far enough from the sink that it shouldn't be necessary. You can bring in more color with paint and accessories.

On the other run (second pic), I'd just patch and paint.

macd27988 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • CC
    4 years ago

https://smhttp-ssl-44887.nexcesscdn.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/910x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/b/gb1-brq3x6blnc.jpg. Tilebar has awesome tiles, you can get 5 samples for $5. I love these, but you will have to see them in your space. Happy tile hunting!

macd27988 thanked CC
  • Newhome2018
    4 years ago

Wow awesome countertops! Subway would be a safe choice; perhaps try long ones like 3x10. Or maybe a 4x4 handmade looking in solid color white or soft gray. Or picket style or hex

macd27988 thanked Newhome2018
  • eam44
    4 years ago

I would tile both runs. Having paint on one side and tile on the other will look odd, I think. As others have mentioned you want to pull colors from your counter into your bs, OR match the white of the cabinets. The background color in your counter looks off white, and matching that color might be tough. Just keep bringing samples home ‘till you find the right one. You could possibly go for the lightest of greys, but that will be even harder to match because the greys in your stone are warm toned and most grey tiles are cool. I’d really prefer the off white.

What is above your sink?

macd27988 thanked eam44
  • CC
    4 years ago

Yeah, eam44, it looks like a chalkboard? Curious...

• macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great advice, thanks everyone! My wife and I are not very good design people so we appreciate all the tips. Yes, we have a chalkboard over the sink now; we've always had it and really love it.

My wife found one tile that she likes, but we have no idea if it would work. Also, not sure if it's better to install horizontal or vertical. Any thoughts on this tile? We'll have to grab a sample.

• CC
    4 years ago

Meh, its hard to tell from pictures, the colors you see in your space are going to be far more accurate but my inclination is that tile is too busy for your beautiful granite. The granite should be the star of the show... it’s so spectacular! Get a sample so you can see for yourself. I think, personally, would do something a little less busy. I do like the different shape though. There is much more than subway out there. And, vertical would be better with that shape, I think. :)

macd27988 thanked CC
  • CC
    4 years ago

Oh, I like the chalkboard! I’ve never seen that before...

• eam44
    4 years ago

Ultimately you have to please yourself, but I wouldn’t choose that tile or anything like it. It’s way too busy. You have movement in your stone so you’re not really looking for visually complex tile. Here’s where inspiration images can be helpful. Google images of whatever your granite is and look at what others have done with it.

macd27988 thanked eam44
  • stillpitpat
    4 years ago

^agree^ - too busy.

macd27988 thanked stillpitpat
  • macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Really appreciate it :) I think I'm starting to catch on with what you all are saying in terms of complimenting the granite instead of competing with it. I'm checking tilebar out and will order some samples. I'll post a few pictures when we get them. Thanks again!

• macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey all, we got our order from tilebar and there was one that stood out to us. It's a blue gray color in a different kind of shape. The only reservation is the space between the counter to cabinet is 16inches and the tile is 8 inches, so there would never be more than one full piece in a straight line if we do vertical.

What do you all think about this option? Thank you!!

• eam44
    4 years ago

Your concerns about the tile size are reasonable - something a little smaller might work better.

When you see the image of the wall done in that tile does it look grey to you, because it looks pretty blue to me. If you want blue tile that’s fine, but I’m not sure that’s the right blue. To get ideas google images of marble counters with blue backsplash (I know your counters aren’t marble, but this will get you to the colors that work). Something deeper might work better.

macd27988 thanked eam44
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I don't care much for blue, but if it makes you smile every time you enter the kitchen, then that's what matters.

These are very flat, with no shadows or shading, but might help you decide on color.

macd27988 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Did I mention, you all are a godsend! I see what both of you are saying, when that one tile becomes the whole wall, it is too much. We had a light gray one too in our samples that we liked. What do you think about this one? They have it in 3x6 and 3x12. I'm assuming 3x6 is better for us.

If we did this one, do you think it's ok to do it all in the herringbone style or just do the regular subway pattern?

• macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi all! Just wanted to post the final pictures. We ended up going with a dove gray 3x12 tile and we're really happy how it turned out. Like you all said, it was smart to try to match something in the counters. Sorry the pictures are so dark - it's really much better in person.

Thank you all again for helping us! We would've probably ended up doing something that we would've regretted if not for everyone's good advice :)

• stillpitpat
    4 years ago

looks great!!

macd27988 thanked stillpitpat
  • CC
    4 years ago

Wow! Love the tile... enjoy your new kitchen!

macd27988 thanked CC
  • wrigley12
    4 years ago

What brand is the tile? Looks great!

• macd27988
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! It's Lancaster Dove Gray 3x12 Polished Ceramic Tile from tilebar.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Your countertops look really similar to my Opus White quartzite. We used a 3D white subway tile - keeps the color quiet but adds some texture.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Oh sorry, I just realizing you posted the finished backsplash! Houzz is showing me all the comments out of order. Looks great, enjoy your kitchen!