Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bklyncitrus

Prague Citsuma not doing much

this thing just sits there since I've gotten it no new growth. Hopefully at least the roots are growing, I don't know its so frail. Very interesting tree with 3 different leaf types

Comments (18)

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

I got to observe a Prague Citsuma, a man was growing it up against his house in Vancouver, WA (right across the bridge from Portland, OR).

It was doing quite well there. Vancouver, WA is in zone 8a, but probably in the warmer half of 8a since it is in a fairly sprawling higher density suburban neighborhood.

It does indeed have three different types of leaves: trifoliate, some branches are monofoliate, and a few of the leaves look like some indeterminate form between trifoliate and monofoliate, with the three leaves fused together into one. I've never seen that on any other citrus (and I have grown a lot of rare cold hardy hybrids from seed). Of course a few of the leaves are also bifoliate, but that's not unusual for hybrids with poncirus. Thomasville, for example can display that trait in its juvenile stage.

It probably is a chimera, evidenced by that unique trait of the three leaves fused into one that can sometimes be seen.

bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked socalnolympia
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Needs LOT of light on the order of this scale. 16 hours daily.

New Zealand lemonade on US897 rootstock. · More Info

New Zealand lemonade#1 · More Info

Greenhouse and bucket lights · More Info

Chose what fits. The kumquat tree can't survive seedling state without this extra light. I assume that the Prague Citsuma is the same starting out.

Steve

bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

John, mine are super slow growing too. I’ve had that tree for many years and now, in the ground, it has grown most. I have to post a picture so you can see. I have one cutting that is smaller than yours. I have you the biggest one believe it or not! I suspect you’ll see growth in the spring.

bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Socal, have you ever tried fruit from the Prague? Mine flowered one - one flower - but it did not hold the fruit.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I tried more heat and light and I actually went back to less of both due to leaf drop. It is a cutting with a weak root system. Grafted (which i don't do) to something vigorous maybe, I don't want to lose it

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Steve, I’ve not covered mine yet this year. It has been down to low-mid 20s. I’ll post a pic. John, I can always give you more budwood if you need it - Steve, you too. My tree is not huge as you will see. I hope the fruit of this tree (if I ever get to taste it) is worth all this hype. Lol

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Here are pics:

It is as tall as my fence. It definitely grew much more in the ground than in the pot. The yellow leaves must be from the cold days we’ve had.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Regraft? Maybe? Don’t know what else to do. Can’t wait forever.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Hey Bob! I think it’s a slow-growing tree. It is grafted onto FD. I think that is part of what helps it be so cold resilient, however I think that’s slow-growing rootstock. John’s is a cutting though. My cutting is just as slow to grow.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

I think you all should invest in Swingle5 rootstock. FD is very good but not for impatient growers, like most of us are. Me? Yes me to! But it produces excellent tasting fruits.

My suggesting, no flowers/fruits for a few years, jazzing this tree up with yours secret foo foo will do the trick.

• Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
    4 years ago

Has anyone tasted the Prague? I'd try in ground if it doesn't taste like trifolate spawn from h&ll. I only seem to have found some opinions on foreign forums and google translate isn't always perfect.

Ken

bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Ken, I have not and have been wondering the same thing myself.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What a fall season: i had severe insect infestations this season indoors, still fighting fungus gnats. the fact that I side drill pots like steve has gnats running into the very bottom and sides since their elevated for drainage. Yellow stickers all over, just ordered mosquito bits, went through a case of peroxide. luckily no mites or scale, least its under control. Then right after fixing my basement ceiling and hanging new lights (to the day) my daughter drags a whole bunch of her problem plants down and put them in my space......I never got to properly arrange anything and got overcrowded temporarily and was treating her plants not setting up mine. Then I unknowingly created a hot spot when I extended grow area into a corner with interior brick walls, hitting near 100 degrees near the ceiling, leaf drop went crazy. I raised lights and pulled bulbs, moved plants around cut back light timers, played with the window and fan settings until I finally found equilibrium and now getting new growth. Compounding this almost all needed a repot which should have been done outside not inside when I had a hose. I may have two casualties a grafted morton and a miho wase that was roughly repotted....as far as the prague, one look at lauras and you can see that its spindly. A very vigorous trifoliate (or hybrid) rootstock that still goes dormant for a future cutting might be a valid answer as bob suggests. Right now I'm just hoping mine develops some more roots and gets through the winter.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

John, I have whiteflies in my sunroom...what a nightmare! I need to spray again today. I feel your pain. I've had one casualty so far, which I rare because I've only lost two trees (now three) so far. It was a chinnotto sour orange. It was always a weak, slow growing trees and the oranges were not the best - even for a sour variety. I can't say I'm going to miss it.

• Vladimir Kelman (6B/7A MD)
    3 years ago

Where do you buy Prague Citsuma?

bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked Vladimir Kelman (6B/7A MD)
  • bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back in the Spring, I got a freshly grafted (wax still on) 1 gallon from Stan Mckenzie along with a Miho Wase, Ichang lemon and Kishu. All 4 were trapped in limbo for over 30 days in Covid Post Office Hell. Bad shape and set back but recovered. The cutting Prague Laura gave me unfortunately died, due to bugs, I had to put everything I had out early and then it decided to flush at the wrong time outside, some didn't take to it. Post Mortem: Not much of a root system, better grafted. Prague are Very slow growers and grow every way but up.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx