Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_kesler

Which color cabinets in my Master Bath?

Ashley Kesler
4 years ago

Hello,

My bathroom is going to have dark gray floors with a white shower and tub, which cabinets should i do? Chestnut Maple or White?

White
Chestnut

Comments (10)

• AJCN
    4 years ago

I helped my Dad renovate his house and we chose materials similar in color scheme as you. We chose a stained alder cabinet with a medium brown stain rather than a white painted cabinet. It looks awesome. Having that wood element really softens and warms up the room. We chose black matte cabinet hardware, chrome faucets, and repeated the black matter in the light fixures above the sinks. I wanted to do scones through the mirror but he said no. We repeated the chrome in the shower fixtures. Like your's, his shower and other fixtures are white. What's your countertop going to be? He put in a white quartz counter from MSI. I can't remember the exact name, but it is totally pure white; if you get up super close to it you can see teeny tiny little dots, but it "reads" pure white when you are standing up.

• Ashley Kesler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ajcn thank you!!! I love your dad's cabinets, counter top and floor, it turned out great!! the dark tile I'm going for is that Hex picuted above. it also comes in a light Gray. I just ordered 1 sample of each because I was thinking about swapping!! my bathroom is fairly large, 15ftx10ft, with a big 2 pane window and another single window on the other wall, with clear glass. lots of light, which is why I originally was going for the dark floor. maybe reconsider now....

• Ashley Kesler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ajcn, if we go with the chestnut, we are getting a pure white cultured marble. if we go with the white, we would get grey/white tops.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

If you get a lot of natural light, I have found that dust, and other things show even more. I found that to be true in my kitchen where I chose black painted lower cabinets. When the sun is shining in from the windows onto the black painted cabinets every little imperfection and speck of dust seems to jump out. But maybe that’s just because my house is more dusty than it should be! ; )

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you are going with a “cool” color scheme, be careful that your stain doesn’t have a yellow-ish or a red-ish tint to it. Try to make is more neutral medium brown. Not gray though.

My Dad’s color scheme was a straddle between warm and cool, leaning more to the warm tones because it’s a mountain house.

(This is AJCN). For some reason my user name changes if I use my phone. No idea why!

Anyway, my bathroom at home is more to the “cool” tones. White painted vanity and trim, white marble countertop and tub decking, very light gray walls, green/white/marble/glass mosaic shower wall, charcoal shower floor. We put in a large linen cabinet built like a dining room hutch with the top set back. It’s stained clear alder. That is the main wooden “warm” element, and it is repeated in some shelves that we tucked into a void in the wall that was left because of a wonky wall cavity. I really love the wooden element among all the marble and white.

• Ashley Kesler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the chestnut shows MUCH warmer on here than in real life. don't get me wrong, it is warmer than these rustic gray washed stains you see, but it is a true medium brown.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your plan sounds very pretty. I have been searching like mad on HOUZZ for the original inspiration photo that my sibs and I used for my Dad’s house. If I can find it, I’ll post it.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

I found this pic of white, wood and charcoal:

• Ashley Kesler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

love this!